SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#38923 - 05/19/06 04:45 PM IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
kn7 Offline

Come on, guys! I haven't seen an interesting post in more than a week! Nigel is going to pull the plug on this forum and close the gates if you all don't get off your duffs and post some interesting thoughts or questions.

Because Me-shoot-a-the-ass or whatever the company name that produced our wonderful KNs is kaput, you all shouldn't stop in your tracks by losing interest and no longer learning how to get the most out of your keyboard. Quit thinking about the next wonderful button pusher that is being produced as I write. Start by LEARNING FULLY how to get the most out of your fine KN6000/KN6500/KN7000. Stop depending on presets or other talented people to send you styles that you lazily never bothered to learn or commercial styles you have had to pay for. Quit thinking about new buttons to push on the latest "toy" that is still in the process of being built. How many of you know what Advance/Delay is? Better yet, how many of you can even FIND IT in your keyboard? Have you ever thought of using it and for what purpose? This is one of many things that you probably aren't even aware of. What about Chord Modify? Do you know how to use it? The list goes on. You each own a keyboard that can make you a better musician - start, by being one. The three models have more features than anyone could ever dream of or want - start using them.

Seeing no posts means most of you have gone into tilt. There is an old saying, "Keep on keeping on." Now, get mad as hell and say, I ain't gonna take it anymore! POST! If not to this one, then come up with something better.

kn7

#38924 - 05/19/06 08:22 PM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
I couldn't agree with you more. kn7! For a while now, the posts here have indeed been diminishing, but for those of us who are not professionals, there is still such a great deal to be learned about the great Technics keyboards, as you mentioned. However, more and more, instead of knowledge-sharing,we read mostly about how folks are swiftly moving to the Tyros (or some other keyboard); I'm sure that is fine if you want to spend a fortune for something new, even though the "old" keyboards are still the greatest and y ou really don't need something new! Like me, however, I'm sure many of us still rely on and enjoy our Technics, having spent a great deal of money on them already, and no need to move to another more expensive one and learn a whole new set of new ways to utilize it, when we haven't even mastered all the wonders of the keyboards we already own! I guess I don't understand why, just because the Technics keyboards are not being manufactured any more, there seems to have been a seemingly immediate mass exodus to another brand. Perhaps the major problem is that those artists who have the Technics keyboard knowledge we non-professional "hobbyists" would like to continue sharing have so quickly abandoned Technics, and the rest of us--the knowledge seekers--are more and more being left in the lurch! How totally devastating it would be if Nigel abandoned us, too, because there is too little interest. Please let's not let this happen!

Thanks for starting this thread, kn7; I wonder what sort of response it will get, other than this brief reply from me!

Ted Rose

#38925 - 05/19/06 09:36 PM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Good points have been made .
Perhaps you would like to share your knowledge regarding "advance & Delay "

#38926 - 05/19/06 11:38 PM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Good post KN7,
there is still so much to learn/discover from of that very advanced keyboard, which made that playing on it gives so much enjoyment. I suppose, as there aren't new models anymore to discuss, the real (hobby) musicians will stay here and share there interest about kn-keyboardsmusic !??
Cees

#38927 - 05/20/06 12:21 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
So what is the saying,"You don't know how much you will miss it until it's gone".

Why don't we start with each of us posting where your point of interest my be. Ex, "How do you edit a style", or How do you use the Music Arranger".

Ask your questions and you will see the life come back to this forum.

If not a question maybe you can tells us ABOUT your favorite part of your keyboard and how you use it.

Trying, John C.

Cheers to KN7, Ted Rose and Cees, they're people who care.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 05-20-2006).]

#38928 - 05/20/06 04:58 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Adam Glinka Offline

Loc: Des Plaines,Illinois USA
KN7 is a fantastic instrument.I don't understand people who jump from one instrument to another,only to have the newest model.KN7 has all the tools anyone could need to make all kind of music - the rest depends only on talent.

#38929 - 05/20/06 06:26 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
We ain't lost interest KN7 we're (Keyboardcapers and myself) busy teaching second owners of Technics keyboards how to use them - the first owners having sold them to buy the latest wonderbar...see www.keyboardcapers.co.uk
Advance/delay (p107) and chord modify (p113) are about making alterations to your or other folks sequenced efforts - most of our pupils are still learning how to translate those strange annotations on and between the five horizontal lines onto their newly purchased set of second hand ivories...
One step at a time seems to be the way forward...
Rog
Using panel memories is still a million miles away - patience Midge patience...

#38930 - 05/20/06 06:29 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
The volume of posts is like the stock market, ups and downs. We have experienced a couple of real low in posts since I have been a member but have always bounced back with new members. I think this will happen again. John C has made some good sugestions.

Looking at the number of posts on other Synth Zone BBS forums, we look pretty good.

Fran in SC

#38931 - 05/20/06 07:57 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by kn7:
Come on, guys! I haven't seen an interesting post in more than a week! Nigel is going to pull the plug on this forum and close the gates if you all don't get off your duffs and post some interesting thoughts or questions.

Because Me-shoot-a-the-ass or whatever the company name that produced our wonderful KNs is kaput, you all shouldn't stop in your tracks by losing interest and no longer learning how to get the most out of your keyboard. Quit thinking about the next wonderful button pusher that is being produced as I write. Start by LEARNING FULLY how to get the most out of your fine KN6000/KN6500/KN7000. Stop depending on presets or other talented people to send you styles that you lazily never bothered to learn or commercial styles you have had to pay for. Quit thinking about new buttons to push on the latest "toy" that is still in the process of being built. How many of you know what Advance/Delay is? Better yet, how many of you can even FIND IT in your keyboard? Have you ever thought of using it and for what purpose? This is one of many things that you probably aren't even aware of. What about Chord Modify? Do you know how to use it? The list goes on. You each own a keyboard that can make you a better musician - start, by being one. The three models have more features than anyone could ever dream of or want - start using them.

Seeing no posts means most of you have gone into tilt. There is an old saying, "Keep on keeping on." Now, get mad as hell and say, I ain't gonna take it anymore! POST! If not to this one, then come up with something better.

kn7

I cound'nt agree with you more, the Technics keyboards are fantastic instruments and in my opinion, nothing produced since has surpassed them. Every time I play my KN7, I marvel at the sounds it produces. I've tried the Tyros 2 and although it has some likeable features (ie built in song registrations) to my mind I prefer the sounds on my KN7. The only time I would change, is if the KN7 blew up.
About you're mentioning the hidden features on the keyboards, how does one get them up?
Derek Munson

#38932 - 05/20/06 08:53 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
kn7 Offline

Well, how wonderful that so many of you have come out of the woodwork! It is good to know that you are out there.

ADVANCE/DELAY is a nice feature to be used when recording a song in at least a couple of ways. Example number one: Your ending of a song will be in the strict time you are playing in but you would like to retard the ending. By going into Advance/Delay, you can go to either the last measure or the one just before the last measure and "Delay" it several degrees, however much you want. Example number two: Let's say you played brilliantly up to a point and one measure, you were slightly off in your fingering and you are afraid to try and correct it in PUNCH RECORD because you might lose some of the following measures by not punching out fast enough. You have decided that using QUANTIZE won't do it because it will end up sounding too mechanical. So, depending on whether you played the measure too rushed or lagged a bit, you can go to that particular measure and make it come in faster or slower, depending on a + or - used. This effects ONLY the measure or measures you choose to correct and has nothing to do with changing the rest of the playing.

To find this little darling, you have to bring up RANGE EDIT or you won't find it. To find RANGE EDIT, click on SEQUENCER and you will see it in SEQ MENU at the bottom left of the screen.

CHORD MODIFY pertains to the COMPOSER. It is a complex subject that requires a lot of time and patients to understand it. I don't have Alec's manual and perhaps he covers this subject. Using it depends entirely on how you want to use it to respond to playing a pattern. If you are into composing, you will be surprised how a particular track responds when playing a chord. I'll try and keep this simple without taking up a lot of space. Say you have played several single high notes in a piano part that you think will be perfect in the style you created. You leave COMPOSER and play your style and hit a 7th or 9th chord and the piano notes you used in COMPOSER sound like hell - they are all over the place and nothing like the way you played them. This is where CHORD MODIFY CHANGE comes into play. You have numerous possibilities to correct this so it plays back correctly under all or most all circumstances.

kn7

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online