SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#388013 - 04/16/14 10:28 PM Does anyone remember the SX-KN470 Keyboard?
SillyLittleBoy Offline

I'm needing some help with what appears and sounds to be a pretty decent keyboard that is fully functional. I picked this up in a trade for an old single channel tube mic pre-amp that was maybe worth $20 on a good day/lucky day.

I thought it WAS my lucky day (still do), because I traded it for this SX-KN470. Now I'm no pro and still learning my way around a musical keyboard (guitarist primarily), but this baby has the touch sensitive keys or velocity. I have a CASIO, too, that I was using to teach myself and I didn't realize how bad it was until I got the expressiveness of the touch sensitive keys on this baby.

It's been near impossible to get any information on it, but I did manage to find a service manual AND what appears to be a user/operator's manual, though much of the manual talks about the KN550 or KN650.

I know most of you here have moved WAY beyond this ancient cheapy Technics keyboard (although think it's totally awesome with the bend wheel and all), but I was hoping someone might have known someone who had a cousin whose mom used to have one of these... I'm trying to learn ANYTHING I can about the SZ-P1 foot switch, which based on it's description (taken from the service manual for my KN470) I don't think it's anything more than an on/off switch operated by foot ("The optional SZ-P1 Foot Switch can be connected to this terminal (1/4" phono plug) to control various functions."

In the user/operator's manual there are instructions for setting the "Foot Switch Settings" to select WHAT the foot switch will control. In one example it gives info on how to set it up so the foot switch turns on or off the sustain, which is JUST what I want. Unfortunately those same instructions do not produce that option on my KN470 (manual is for a KN550 and KN650 AND my KN470 (but mostly the first two).

Does ANYONE have ANY idea of how I can get a foot operated sustain on / sustain off function working for this dinosaur of a keyboard (old, but really sweet)? I can hit the button on the top turn the sustain on and off, but that's not real convenient when you're playing, unless you happen to have a third (or more) arm or hand.

I just want to be able to turn on the sustain or turn off the sustain with my foot. ANYONE?

I would forever be in your debt, should you provide me with the knowledge to allow me to SUSTAIN or NOT SUSTAIN, cause that is my question.

I have the manuals I mentioned in PDF form and could provide pages OR the whole manual (if needed) to anyone that even THINKS they might have a clue.

If you've read this far, thank you for doing that... even if you can't help.

Cause I'm just a....
SillyLittleBoy

#388044 - 04/17/14 06:46 PM Re: Does anyone remember the SX-KN470 Keyboard? [Re: SillyLittleBoy]
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
Hi,please check your private messages.
Also having got a few splinters in my fingers form scratching my head as this model is some 20 years old,I think the way to set the foot switch is as follows:-
press button marked "mode set" and enter into the number pad "02" this should enter the foot setting mode, now if I remember right use the up/down buttons at the side of the display or in the number pad to change the led display so it reads "SUS" this should now mean you control sustain from the foot switch.
If the foot switch is not a genuine Technics you need a make/break foot switch from your local guitar shop that has a changeover switch fitted so the switch is press to make or can be press to break (off the top of my head I can't remember which way round Technics are) if the switch is set incorrectly sustain operation will be reversed ie:- press to remove sustain. in which case just swap the switch position.
hope this is of use.
regards John.

#388608 - 05/04/14 12:11 PM Re: Does anyone remember the SX-KN470 Keyboard? [Re: jd5live]
SillyLittleBoy Offline

AWESOME memory recall ,John. From John (that be me, too).

The manual I had was also for a KN550 & KN650 and was mostly about those two. It was close in that it mentioned pushing the Mode Set and then 04. I tried what you said and then the up/down arrows and got "SUS" on the display, so I'm sure that was exactly the setting I needed. Now I just have to find me a foot switch and I'll be all set.

Hey, this keyboard works pretty darned good for a 20-year old. How old does something have to be to be considered Vintage? Is it 20 years or 30?

SillyLittleBoy
John

#388616 - 05/05/14 02:57 AM Re: Does anyone remember the SX-KN470 Keyboard? [Re: SillyLittleBoy]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
About the same age as me John (80th year)

#388631 - 05/06/14 04:03 AM Re: Does anyone remember the SX-KN470 Keyboard? [Re: The Saint]
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
laugh Hi Ray you are only just a spring chicken,Keep on bashing them there notes.
Regards John .UK piano

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online