SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#387819 - 04/11/14 01:28 PM Kontakt 5
Bachus Offline

Found this nice video about a flute in the contact sampler... watch this video and it explains why the current generations of arrangers are trailing so much

Keep in mind tough that this single flute uses 13GB of data.. but the level of control you have over this single instrument is phenomenal..

And it allways gets me wondering when the first arranger with atleast 8 knobs will come out that allows you to load these VSt´s for solo sounds..

Kontakt 5 is part of Komplete 9 Ultimate which comes with over 16000 high quallity sounds and hundreds of effects for less then $1000...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#387822 - 04/11/14 03:10 PM Re: Kontakt 5 [Re: Bachus]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello,

I have Kontakt 5 with Komplete 8. As you say it is awesome!! It does require a lot of computer CPU and I suspect the smaller processors in our current arrangers can never support Kontakt's sound engine. I hope I live that long to see it. -charley

#387841 - 04/12/14 02:01 AM Re: Kontakt 5 [Re: rattley]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: rattley
Hello,

I have Kontakt 5 with Komplete 8. As you say it is awesome!! It does require a lot of computer CPU and I suspect the smaller processors in our current arrangers can never support Kontakt's sound engine. I hope I live that long to see it. -charley

Been available for about 14 years now.

Bill

#387844 - 04/12/14 07:03 AM Re: Kontakt 5 [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
Originally Posted By: rattley
Hello,

Been available for about 14 years now.

Bill

However you cant compare the current kontakt to that one from 14 years ago...

And there is no reason not to add a modern CPU to a modern arranger.... Every modern intel cpu can run Kontakt perfectly... And prices of these CPU are even lowerr then the oldfashioned stuff they build intoo these arrangers... And with direct from disc sample playing and SSD prices dropping every day ( have a 1 TB SSD for €350) there is no reason not to add stuff like this.. Wersi is doing it for over a decade .. And if it wasnt for their pricing and bad support, and underperforming styles( they still lag behind yamaha, korg and ketron where OTB styles) everyone would be playing Wersi..

Korg kronos for example has got a sound engine comparable to this.. And thats a hardware workstation, thats much cheeper then the totl arrangers they currently sell..

Isnt this what arranger players love to do, play around with visual soundsettings untill your accoustic instrument emulation sounds perfect?

If you have Komplete Omnisphere and Alchemy running you have access to the best sounds of the world.

Edited by Bachus (04/12/14 07:05 AM)

#387845 - 04/12/14 07:09 AM Re: Kontakt 5 [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Just seems weird to me to purchase a $5000.00 Arranger and then augment it with VST sounds? For what? If you think PC programs & all the effort to run them sound better why do you need both?

#387847 - 04/12/14 08:10 AM Re: Kontakt 5 [Re: Bachus]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have always been in search for the best lead sounds I can get, which, in my case, are acoustic instruments.

For NH I have S910,Audya,KN7000, or vArranger. Larger gigs usually means the Audya.

I also play a key role in my band, which means I have to have a variety of lead instruments, including my Nord Electro with a Neo Ventilator for organ. My Audya cuts through the mix alright but I know there are better lead voices out there.

I have an iPad, Receptor2, and powerful Laptops. For software, I have EW library and Kontact 2,Basic Sampletank etc. My problem is not knowing enough to make the voices expressive enough to use. I need solo voices that do not take a lot of cc knowledge to sound convincing.

My situation is different from Donny,Don,Gary etc. in that I love to explore for the Holy Grail because I gig three times a week, and have time.

Edited by Bernie9 (04/12/14 08:12 AM)

#387848 - 04/12/14 08:16 AM Re: Kontakt 5 [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Just seems weird to me to purchase a $5000.00 Arranger and then augment it with VST sounds? For what? If you think PC programs & all the effort to run them sound better why do you need both?

You don’t, but it is nice to have the option without having to buy extra equipment or computers. (Plus you can add more advanced sounds without waiting for the manufacture to bring out a new keyboard to get them, and not forgetting that adding advanced VSTs costs a fraction of upgrading to a new keyboard)

Bill

#387850 - 04/12/14 08:27 AM Re: Kontakt 5 [Re: Bernie9]
abacus Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I have always been in search for the best lead sounds I can get, which, in my case, are acoustic instruments.

For NH I have S910,Audya,KN7000, or vArranger. Larger gigs usually means the Audya.

I also play a key role in my band, which means I have to have a variety of lead instruments, including my Nord Electro with a Neo Ventilator for organ. My Audya cuts through the mix alright but I know there are better lead voices out there.

I have an iPad, Receptor2, and powerful Laptops. For software, I have EW library and Kontact 2,Basic Sampletank etc. My problem is not knowing enough to make the voices expressive enough to use. I need solo voices that do not take a lot of cc knowledge to sound convincing.

My situation is different from Donny,Don,Gary etc. in that I love to explore for the Holy Grail because I gig three times a week, and have time.

HI Bernie

You have 4 main features on an arranger, (Pitch Wheel, Modulation Wheel, Keyboard Dynamics and after touch) so just assign these CCs to your instruments as required. (EG: Assign Pitch to after touch on a flute to get a natural bend without having to take you hand off the keyboards) If you have an expression (Volume) pedal you can also assign this CC to the expression control of the voice. (Just try to think outside the box rather than sticking with convention)

Hope this helps

Bill

#387851 - 04/12/14 08:28 AM Re: Kontakt 5 [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

We'll I guess? but in someones living room what the big deal when you have so many awesome sounds already in most TOTL/MOTL arrangers these days? That said I have no problem at all performing with whats I use and have a amazing sound when I'm performing......I really think this sound thing is so over-hyped.
And in addition a persons playing ability is the REAL bottom line to sounding good.....you could have what is perceived as the BEST sound set in the universe ....but it means squat if your talent & playing Technics aren't up to par....that's should be the priority. Not to mention that most of these units can be used to edit sounds into oblivion with some knowledge, & effort.
as it stands now IMO PC driven VST's haven't convinced me ..
but enjoy what you play.

#387854 - 04/12/14 09:38 AM Re: Kontakt 5 [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

Why do people buy soundexpansion packs if there are allready 1200 sounds in their arranger?

Thats the simple answer Donny.
The truth however is more complicated.

In an arranger all sounds are ballanced to sound great together... Thats why Yamaha styles sound perfect on yamahas, ketron styles on audyas and korg styles on Korg... Porting between different brands is possible, yet takes a lot of work..

Products like Varranger, live styler and the lionstracs project dont have their own styles at all, so every style you want to add takes a lot of fine tuning, nothing works out of the box.

So why using Vst... I use them as extra solo sounds on top of styles and midi files on my PA3x ... Or with Karma on my kronos...

As said, Komplete (kontakt5 is part of Komplete 9) with its 16000 sounds, and even better expansions is an all around package with enough sounds available... If i would have to create a software arranger, i would build it with komplete 9. All you would need is about 500 high quallity styles and you would finally have a top of the line soft arranger.

And thats what i dont understand about the current softarrangers.... Their weak point is that they dont work OTB, so why dont they make them work OOTB. With an own soundset and an own set of sounds and starat working from there with VST support. It was what killed lionstracs, and its the burden of Varranger and live styler and the like..

To put it simple.... The softarrangers are trying to sell you an arranger withouth sounds and withouth styles... But they have the possibilitie to add as many user sounds and styles as possible... Most people are not up to such a challenge.

VSTs as Komplete, are functionaly the same as a high quallity sound module... If you dont need sound modules, you dont need VSTs..

Thats where we are different, i used to have a setup with 3 keyboards, 7 modules and an atari long time ago... And you are hapy with a single light weight portable arranger, that fills all your needs for performing

Edited by Bachus (04/12/14 09:44 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online