SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#335867 - 01/11/12 04:46 PM ANY KRONOS OWNERS HERE?
NiteLife Offline

Loc: Cape Coral, Florida USA
Hi ALL, I usually can be found on the Ketrons forum however

I will soon be purchasing a Kronos.

Just wondered if we had any owner's here and if you'd like to share any opinions on it.
Thanks.
Jim

#385623 - 03/02/14 04:58 AM Re: ANY KRONOS OWNERS HERE? [Re: NiteLife]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Yes I have the Kronos. It is awesome. Any time you switch keyboard brands, there is a learning curve. So be prepared to study the manual. My advice is to join Korgforums. It has an excellent and very active Kronos membership including myself. It is a very deep and outstanding music machine. You made a wise choice and best of luck to you. Hal

#385698 - 03/03/14 02:22 AM Re: ANY KRONOS OWNERS HERE? [Re: Hal2001]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I am seriously considering replacing my Motif 6 with a Kronos 61. But I was just wondering how easy it is to setup a bank of sounds that can be easily selected in a live performance.

#385741 - 03/03/14 10:36 AM SETTING UP KRONOS FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE SONG BANKS [Re: Nigel]
Hal2001 Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
I am seriously considering replacing my Motif 6 with a Kronos 61. But I was just wondering how easy it is to setup a bank of sounds that can be easily selected in a live performance.

Hi Nigel. It is extremely easy and convenient to setup banks of sounds for live performing via the Kronos "Set List" feature. It's particularly convenient with this instrument because the Kronos display screen is so large. I made a tutorial on youtube that explains it fully with a demonstration. Here is the link if you'd like to check it out.
Hal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thK0jOOSf...dhx5vsMd5OvjcX-

P. S. I am going to add the new Roland FA–08 keyboard as a second keyboard. I had sold my Roland Fantom X keyboard to buy the Korg Kronos a few years ago. Now I want to get back those Roland sounds that I missed plus get them in a keyboard that is only 36 pounds. You might want to check out some of the YouTube demonstrations about this one also before buying your next keyboard. Just a thought.

Edited by Hal2001 (03/03/14 05:56 PM)

#385886 - 03/05/14 11:33 PM Re: SETTING UP KRONOS FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE SONG BANKS [Re: Hal2001]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Thanks so much Hal. That is a great tutorial you have created for setting up a set list on the Kronos. I am really sold on it now. Which keybed are you using on the Kronos? I am thinking about the 61 because that will fit best in my car lol. Though that isn't a joke ... it is practicality cos I drive a Camaro.

#385889 - 03/06/14 05:58 AM Re: SETTING UP KRONOS FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE SONG BANKS [Re: NiteLife]
Hal2001 Offline

Nigel, glad you got something out of my YouTube Kronos tutorial. I must qualify that, although the Kronos has a very large high resolution touch screen, some people have complained that, because there is so much information on some of the menu pages, the print can be pretty small sometimes (however not on the setlist pages we were talking about). So I encourage you to look at the screen at your local GC. I have the 88 key Kronos which has real weighted piano hammer action with aftertouch. I use acoustic pianos frequently in my composing work. If 61 keys has been enough for you in the past and you prefer a synth action, rather than weighted hammer action, then you'll be happy with the 61. If you buy a weighted Kronos keyboard, I recommend you buy new so that you are assured you have the updated keybed which corrects glitches that were present in the first generation. The 61 keyed Kronos did not have any glitches, even from the beginning. The 61 is also lighter in weight and for your wallet. BTW, the 73 key version is also weighted hammer action. Best of luck.

Edited by Hal2001 (03/06/14 06:01 AM)

#388887 - 05/11/14 07:07 PM Re: SETTING UP KRONOS FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE SONG BANKS [Re: NiteLife]
Artemi Offline

For me a 2 minute boot time is just nonsense.
I don't own the Kronos thought, but I feel that Korg products are less intuitive than Yamaha ones. It's really hard to play a regular blues, rock music jams (performance mode with drums and bass) when you see that performances are intended to impress you, but not to inspire.

Still I don't see why Korg engineers can't just put a ding dong bucking metronome on the front panel or some sort. Or why they can't make a special drums menu with sequences, main rhythms, intros, outros. That on/off arpeggiator stuff is just lame.

Yes of course you can make the whole song with the sequencer, using all the possibilities of Karma generators and all that, but by the time when I finish the basic song structure I will definitely just lose my inspiration, and any further wish to just jam a long and enjoy the instrument. (no advices to buy an arranger station just for that please)

But what we've got instead? The amazing experience of hours of diving into the manuals and tutorials in order to learn how to operate the device at least at the intermidiate level.

No offense to Korg guys of course, I believe the Kronos is the best on the market nowadays, but definitely lots of stuff to improve up there.

#394786 - 10/14/14 09:14 PM Re: SETTING UP KRONOS FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE SONG BANKS [Re: Artemi]
Karmathanever Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi all
I have owned the Kronos for nearly 2 years.
The sounds are awesome.
KARMA is so inspirational.
Tweaking is sometimes a nightmare - only because there is SO much to understand. Korg have some nice tutorials on YTube and there are others you can buy, but this is by no means a "simple" ready-to-play keyboard - yes you can play it straight out of the box but you'll be fiddling in no time - mainly because you can!! The real-time control surface sliders/buttons etc are amazing particularly coupled with and when playing with KARMA enabled.

My personal "con" is the CX3 engine which is very very nice and usable but not like a real CX3!!!! And the rotary is lacking a bit - needs a lot of tweaking. Ksounds have resolved that for me by offering a set of nice configs called "Organimation" and well worth the money IMHO - these are NOT samples but deeply edited configs (hence new programs) including vastly improved rotary configurations. (I ended up buying a Roland VR09 just to keep my "B3" addiction alive!)

If you want to save some money, find a Kronos, install an extra SSD and 1GB RAM (at worst $200) and hey presto, you have a "Kronos X".

All the best

Pete smile

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online