SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#385464 - 02/28/14 12:56 AM What song affected you the most?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I posted about this in another thread and thought it would be good fodder for a topic.

When I was in my teens, I fell in love with Carol. I still remember vividly sitting with her on her front porch, both of us listening to the Everly Brothers. But the one song that stood out the most was: Dream. Whenever I hear that song or even think about it, I go back to those wonderful moments with her and suddenly the whole world reverts back to that peaceful, romantic period in time when love was in the air and you had the time (and emotions) to experience it.

Now.......what ONE song affected you the most and......WHY? I'm sure there are many (not the the "first girl friend" one), but just the ONE that stands out the most and how it moves you today or reminds you of some wonderful experience?

I've been thinking about this topic for quite a while now, because when I'm playing for the older folks, as I look around the room I can clearly see almost every song I play is reflecting in someone. And then there's the comments afterwards about how that song "brought back memories."

I've always been thankful that I "play," but I sometimes wonder how one interprets music as a listener instead of as a "player?"

Mark

#385484 - 02/28/14 08:26 AM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Mark, GOOD TOPIC!

I've had, probably 10 benchmark songs in my life. One of them was George Benson's version of Leon Russell's "Masquerade".

I had been a Guild guitar demonstrator and met Benson as an endorser. He was playing the hell out of straight ahead jazz. Had a contract with Verve, I believe it was, and was selling about 400,000 albums with every release.

When we talked, he was making about the same as I was as a corporate director. Making it in jazz (he was at the top of his field) was rough.

He had finished his contract and was going to Hawaii to dig foundations (at least that's the story I heard).

He was called into a session and was fooling around with the lead line and scat vocal he is credited for developing. A producer walked by and the rest, as they say, is history.

Breezin', his 1976 mega album, was a 17 million hit and the first of many.

At the time, I was completely burned out...tired of playing the same material every night...working all day, teaching, trying to run a small farm and playing 1:00 AM to 4:00 AM Mon-Thursday; then 5:00 PM to 4:00 AM Friday and Saturday.

I was going to work to hand in my notice Saturday, when I turned on the radio and heard an unrecognized vocalist, singing a really innovative version of a favorite. I had enjoyed the song by the Carpenters and Leon, himself. That, of course, was the Benson recording.

This marvelous piece showed me there is NEVER a reason to be bored with having the privilege of playing, and taught me the importance of interpretation...putting your own "stamp" on material.

Benson took all kinds of flack from the purists, but, by that time, he was too rich to give a damn (LOL).

And, even now, every night, as I play those intoxicating notes to the intro of Masquerade I break out into a big, silly smile.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (02/28/14 08:32 AM)

#385485 - 02/28/14 08:53 AM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ironically enough, one song that sticks in my mind was also an Everly Brothers song, "I Kissed Ya". Remember sitting in my 57 Chevy with my girlfriend "making out".
Another that had a lot of meaning was "Sweet Nothings" by Brenda Lee. We would park in the driveway and when "momma turned on the front porch light" it was time for her to go in.
Some 50 years later I met Brenda in the hotel where I was playing. She was really down about something and had too much to drink and I ended up helping her to her room. THAT'S ALL THAT HAPPENED, Russ!
Another song that I'll never forget is "Blue Suede Shoes". I had been playing bass with a band at college and had only sung in the shower at that time. I was home one weekend in 1964 or 65 and a local guitar player that I knew called and said he needed a bass player for the next night, to play at the Mohawk Lounge in Tulsa. Just me, him and a drummer. Really tough place with lots of drunk Indians (Native Americans). Sure I'd do it.
We got there and the guy had brought his brother to sing. Turned out he couldn't carry a tune at all. He was awful. Guitar player asked if I wold sing any songs and I thought well I couldn't be any worse. I knew the words to several songs from listening on the radio and actually practiced singing a few at home.
Anyway, I said sure let's do Blue Suede Shoes. He asked what key and I said G. He thought I said E. He counted the song off and hit a big E chord and I hit a big G note on the bass and my "One for the money" was somewhere in between. We looked at each other and I said I'm in G and he said he was in E and we BOTH changed keys. It got even worse. The Indians were either laughing or booing or a combination. Finally we stopped the song completely. Got our heads together and got through it. We ended up doing the song three times that night, and the Indians were really drunk by then and were cheering their tails off but I didn't sing again in public for at least another year.

#385494 - 02/28/14 09:58 AM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Russ:

Benson is a joy to hear. Thanks for giving him a mention. Too many great guitarists are ignored these days. Wish my stubby hands would work well around the neck of a guitar but it was never meant to be. That does not keep me from enjoying enterprising musicians on guitar... and just about any other instrument. (Even the ailing Cajun... Don Mason!)

Regards,

Dave

#385503 - 02/28/14 01:08 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland - no doubt about it. When I was 5 years old I fell in love with Dorothy, the song never left my mind, and when my daughter performed it for me last year, I got so emotional I damned near couldn't play the song.

Cheers, from on old softie,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#385505 - 02/28/14 01:24 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
Rustykeys Offline

Loc: Massachusetts/USA
As I read this thread I thought "WOW" all have a special place in our lives. Mine is "You'll never walk alone", and for some strange reason Ave Maria gets to me every time I hear it.

#385506 - 02/28/14 01:27 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have to go with Gary here, and say "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"...I still get chills when I hear the original.

I think I posted this here before, but here it is again...

Somewhere Over The Rainbow, done on my Tyros4.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/6dIl6nqG/OverRainbow.html

The style (from CVP-509) consists of drums (and brushes) and mega Acoustic Bass and Mega Jazz Guitar.

The solo voices were SA2 Sax, and SA Jazz Clean Guitar.

Nothing fancy...just chords in the Left Hand and melody in Right.

I just hit "Record" and played from memory.

Another favorite is "When You Wish Upon A Star".

Ian, another old softie.

#385509 - 02/28/14 02:14 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Ian ... THAT IS A KEEPER ... Love the guitars - both chords and solo - also loved the 'double time' which is something I am looking for in a style for ballads, but have yet to find or achieve ...
Thank You ...

#385510 - 02/28/14 03:08 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

I also love Rainbow. I enjoy various versions from Judy to Jerry Lee. And of course Ian's!!

#385511 - 02/28/14 03:37 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, really nice job....I wish we would all try to edit some styles with lead ins from the bass player...on 7th and augmented chords...It could be done fairly easy....In fact I am going to try it when I get a chance..

That is just about all I would wish for in your arrangement...I think you know what I am talking about...

#385512 - 02/28/14 04:37 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Doesn't get any better for my jazz brain than this for late night jazz club music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxLb7iEnJIw

#385513 - 02/28/14 04:38 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks everyone...your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

Fran, I've thought about trying to put lead ins for 7th and Aug chords, especially for these slow jazz ballads...I think it can be done on Tyros4 but I'm not sure.

The thing is, I may not want a bass lead in or a walk up every time I play a 7th or Aug, so it may not be always useful unless I can find a way to have it trigger them only when I want them, perhaps if they are only activated when preceded by a certain chord type.

If I was playing the organ and bass pedals I would do it without hardly thinking about it, but in that case, I have full control over when I want it regardless of what chord I'm playing.

On the Tyros4, I tend to stick to using Style Assembly and Groove & Dynamics rather than program from scratch by playing the line in...basically, it's because it's easier and I'm rather lazy.

But, yes, I do understand what you are talking about.. and it is a valid point, to be sure.

Ian

#385515 - 02/28/14 04:59 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Outstanding rendition, Ian - absolutely incredible job on this one.

Gary cool

#385516 - 02/28/14 05:06 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

I just dug up the rendition my daughter did one night while helping her old dad on a job. I was recovering from eye surgery in both eyes and wasn't allow to life anything heavier than 10 pounds. With just one useable arm (her left arm is paralyzed) she helped old dad for two weeks, lifting the gear out of the van and placing it on the Rock & Roller cart, then setting it up and tearing it down at the job. She was incredible. I asked her to sing a few songs, and this was her first attempt ever on stage - no rehearsals, nothing - just picked up the spare mic and the audience loved her. Needless to say this old fart was damned near in tears when they applauded at the end of the song.

Over The Rainbow

Cheers,

Gary cool

#385518 - 02/28/14 05:23 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Gary, that was lovely...no wonder it tugs at your heart strings. Your daughter has a soft, sweet voice and her word pronunciation was excellent. A great job, especially for an impromptu performance.

Does she still sing?

Another tune that hits me hard emotionally is "Someone To Watch Over Me".

Do you do that one?

Ian

#385521 - 02/28/14 06:37 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: ianmcnll]
KORG80 Offline

Ian,
That "Over the Rainbow" was marvellous!

God Bless,
Don

#385525 - 02/28/14 07:37 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

No, I don't do Someone To Watch Over Me, and unfortunately, my daughter just doesn't want to be in this business. I've taken her with me to a dozen locations and every audience constantly asks when will I be bringing her back - I wish she would go on the road with me, but it's just not something she really wants to do.

Thanks,

Gary cool

#385529 - 02/28/14 10:42 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Oh-oh-oh! I just thought of the one song that affected almost everybody most.
"Wedding March"! smile

#385575 - 03/01/14 10:21 AM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Oh-oh-oh! I just thought of the one song that affected almost everybody most.
"Wedding March"! smile

rotf2

#385590 - 03/01/14 02:36 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: tony mads usa]
Bachus Offline

http://youtu.be/B6u7VcGGdpU

As a little boy i went with my father to an Organ demo by Klaus Wunderlich, i was seven years old back then. This particular song made me decide i wanted to learn and play the organ.. Adn so we did, a few weeks later we bought our first organ.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#385591 - 03/01/14 02:50 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Neat rendition of one of my favorite songs, Bachus.

Gary

#385599 - 03/01/14 04:52 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I like to play the Wedding March in what i call a very slow, Russian retreat (emphasizing the "defeat" issue, considerably).

Or, I substitute my favorite: "Another One Bites The Dust".

R.

#385603 - 03/01/14 05:56 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Playing the tune "Fools Rush In" might be a consideration before the wedding service.

Ian

#385606 - 03/01/14 06:12 PM Re: What song affected you the most? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

"Daddys Little Girl" & "Mama" always brought a tear to my eye, still today its hard to get thru when I perform them....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online