SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38497 - 03/12/02 08:29 AM is headphone monitoring a good practice
Dev Offline

I have the VS-880 Expanded. I wish to ask u guys if its a good thing to monitor and mix tracks through headphones. I have the Senhiser HD 414 ( not sure of the number ), its a low end phones from senhiser.
Thanks for all the replies.
best wishes.
dev.

#38498 - 03/12/02 11:41 AM Re: is headphone monitoring a good practice
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Dev...I would say yes to headphone monitoring and the HD414's are although low cost still provide a reasonable quality. Don't monitor at high levels because this can give you a wrong balance in your mix. It is however essential to check your final mix on good quality speakers and secondly on a small pair of less quality speakers because this will give an idea of what the average listener will experience.
Returning to the mix the following day when your ears are fresh will also give you a new impression of how successful your previous mix was.

Graham UK

#38499 - 03/12/02 06:28 PM Re: is headphone monitoring a good practice
Dev Offline

Graham - thanks a lot for posting a reply. I will , as u mentioned, check the mix on a domestic system and maybe a car deck or something.
best wishes.
dev.

#38500 - 03/12/02 09:28 PM Re: is headphone monitoring a good practice
WS Offline

You need studio monitors. They give a flat response which will sound good thru home stereo/car/ headphones when played back. If you try to mix thru good stereo speakers it will sound great thru that particular system but horrible thru your neighbor's...too much reverb, not enough bass, heavy on drums, etc. Studio monitors eliminates these problems.

#38501 - 03/13/02 04:08 PM Re: is headphone monitoring a good practice
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Gotta agree with WS.
Headphones are fine for editting and initial mix, sometimes, but get yourself some studio monitors.

#38502 - 03/13/02 06:31 PM Re: is headphone monitoring a good practice
Dev Offline

hey guys, thanks for the postings , can u recomend good monitors? - good value for money kind of stuff. I don't want very expensive top of the line stuff.
Thanks once again to all u guys.
best wishes.
dev

#38503 - 03/13/02 07:03 PM Re: is headphone monitoring a good practice
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I operate a small digital 8 track studio near Philadelphia, and I ALWAYS mix through normal stereo speakers. I've found that studio monitors all sound different too, so I'd rather go with a general sound that 9 out of 10 people, probably have access to.
If you use headphones, you'll get a "false sense" of the stereo field, and probably have the wrong reverb levels, as well. I use HP's only to isolate the tracks during recording or to do a rough mix late at night. My important mixes are always done with live speakers. I use Optimus speakers. (I know, I know ....)
Believe it or not, they sound great, and I get exactly the sound I want every time.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online