SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38488 - 02/14/00 11:22 AM bringing the drums out in front of the mix
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Hello recording heads . I am looking for some insight on how to bring the drums ( which are analogue like an old ROLAND TR-55 , CR-68 , ACETONE FR-6 just to name a few ) out in front of the mix and have them crystal clear and not too bassy . Should I compress them while I record them or do it after ? To give you a reference in recordings , THE MOOG COOKBOOK , KOMPUTER , GARY NUMAN , KRAFTWERK . Thanks for any advise .

#38489 - 02/15/00 01:05 PM Re: bringing the drums out in front of the mix
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Bringing the drums out front. hmmmm. what format are they in now? If they're coming from a workstation/sequencer unit, what I might suggest (only 'cos it works for me) is to make sure you've got no internal effects added to the percussion prior to mix down. I'm mixing down from my T3 to my D8. What I've found now is to kill all assigned tracks except those designated to percussion, mix down via midi to my D8 and leave it as clean as when it was initially laid down. Then I'll reassign the other tracks as they were and mix that down. Results for have been extremely tiiiiiiggghhhht drums, no mud whatsoever. I also re-pan after mix down.
Works for me

------------------

#38490 - 02/15/00 05:34 PM Re: bringing the drums out in front of the mix
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
The recording equipment that I have is a TEAC 3340 4 track reel to reel , KORG D-8 digital 8 track , TEAC A-2300SX 2 track reel to reel , MACKIE 1202VLZ , SPIRIT FOLIO NOTEPAD . All the synthesizers and drum machines are analogue . I don't use MIDI or samples or digital synthesizers , I guess I was wondering should I compress the drums before recording ? Sometimes I run the drummachine through an equalizer before recording them .

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online