I have a myriad of questions regarding my little studio set up and decided to just create one huge e-mail listing of them all and sending it to the kind people who responded to my questions in the past, and additionally posting them in a bunch of newsgroups (bad idea?). I, by the way, work on a Mac, O.S. 8.6. (blue and white) running Cubase 4.1. If any of you have any advice, suggestions, answers, or tips to any of these seemingly unrelated inquiries, please send them to me:
1. Which software should'nt run in the background while cubase is running which may cause interruptions with midi communication (Norton Anti-Virus?)
2. Any overall tips on how to minimize midi latency? Not midi to audio, but midi "in-itself" without audio playing with it? The drum sounds I trigger with my keyboard, when recording into cubase,
play back with a slight delay. HELP!!!!!
3. Can someone explain to me the basics of using Midi Time Control, its advantages, disadvantages, its usage as a synchronization tool and interaction with a digital mixer with Cubase?
4. I'm planning to purchase a Yamaha O1V digital mixer. Pros and cons? Which ADAT card is recommended? Any guidance on cubase control from the digital mixer? Where can I find a mixer map for it? Has anyone tried zeeps's O1V software?
5. What monitoring scheme should I use in Cubase? Global disable, direct out, etc? I'm thinking that I would want to control the parameters within Cubase via the O1V to be able to apply effects unto the audio file (I would'nt be able to do that with Global disable as I would be monitoring solely within the mixer, right?) As you can tell, I'm really lost with that one.
6. Whats that MAC sound control panel with the speaker angle on it?
7. Would I be able to make print screens of Cubase windows, using my little usb printer, while have having AppleTalk off?
8. Are all S/PDIF cables 75ohms? (MAN, those digital cables are expensive!!) The ensoniq folks suggest that it should be at least 75ohms, but I can't tell by looking in the box of cables at my local Guitar center ($10.00 - 100.00 price range for S/PDIF cables) What's the difference?
9. How do I get rid of those pesky "Quicktime extensions not loaded" dialog boxes everytime I start Cubase, and also the Appletalk warnings? How do you permanently turn Apple talk off?
10. Generaly speaking at what level should my little Alesis ra100 amp be set on compared to the level of the digital mixer? Should I have the volume at a low, medium or high setting on the amp? Does this question make any sense?
11. Bannana Plugs vs. Speaker Wires. Which one of the two provides a clearer signal path?