SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38339 - 10/26/00 03:41 PM burn cd from VS880
Anonymous
Unregistered

I need step by step how to set up VS880 to burn a cd. Have loaded latest software and hooked up Olympus cdr.

Any help much appreciated.

please write to judson@flash.net

thanks,

#38340 - 11/13/00 06:38 AM Re: burn cd from VS880
RKB Offline

Loc: Easton, PA USA
You should have gotten a separate manual with your cd-burner on how to do this. I also recall that not all burners will work with the VS-880, and they recommend you buy the one that Roland specified.

That being said, it's a relatively simple process. I'm assuming here you want to print a song in audio format, not back it up to CD:

Make sure the CD-R is connected to the SCSI port of your VS-880, turned on, and a blank disc is inside.

Push the Song button until you see WRITE CD-R? Push yes/enter.

It will ask you to select a song to write. Use the dial to dialup the song you want to write.

You'll then be asked if you want to write with finalize. Finalizing the disc writes the table of contents on the disc that allows it to be played on any cd player. However, if you finalize, you will not be able to write anything else to the disc. So, if you just want to write this one song to disc, then finalize it. If not, then use the dial to select w/o finalize so that you can write more songs to the disc. If it's not finalized, when you're done writing your song, you can select Song/CD Player to play the disc through your VS-880.

It will then ask you which 2 tracks (stereo) you want to print. These should be the tracks that your stereo mix or master are on. Push the track button for the left channel, and then use the dial (if necessary) to select the correct virtual track.

Push the parameter --> button to get to the right track and repeat the procedure for the right channel.

Hit yes/enter when you've selected the correct tracks.

From here, just click on yes/enter for the questions about writing the track number and obeying copyrights.

The VS-880 will first convert the song to a writable format. After the conversion is done, it will write to the disc. If you selected finalize, it will then finalize the disc. When it's all over, it will ask you if you want to write another. THIS MEANS WRITE THE SAME SONG TO ANOTHER DISC!! If you select 'yes' here, you'll get another copy of the same song written to your disc. If you're making multiple copies of the song, this is the time to put in a clean disc before you hit yes. This will take less time since the song has already been converted in memory, and it will just write the disc.

The conversion/write process can take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes per song, depending upon how big your song is. Also, you want to make sure you're using a good quality Cd-R. I've had problems using sub-standards discs, and they tend to skip on some cd-players. I highly recommend Plextor CD-R's. I've never had a problem with these.

If you need more info, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do. I've been burning discs on my VS-880's (I've got 3 of them chained together) for a couple of years now.

#38341 - 11/20/00 11:59 AM Re: burn cd from VS880
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
Direct is great! Man, I always wish it would work out like that. It always seems like there's something I can do to signal that my source couldn't for improvment. Usually it's a single frequency range that needs a bit more in order to flurish into the sound. Or maybe some repulsive little blip that I want the heck outta there.
I digitize the signal to a 192,000sps wav, do what I gotta do, then burn it into CD audio. The side benefit I've found though, by doing that ... the burns always come out great because the sections are always divided correctly by the wav editor.
Maybe it's worth a try for you. When analysed, there is no measurable degeneration either.

MORPH!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online