SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#382684 - 01/27/14 01:19 AM Re: New gear [Re: zuki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm afraid my only experience with NH's will be as a resident...hopefully not for many, many years. It takes a very special skill (and personality) to play those places successfully...I don't have it. A man's gotta know his limitations.

I'm on a Country Music kick this month...my buddy, Johnny, with the new Tyros5-76 is a terrific Country piano player...I'm in total "observing and learning" mode when I'm at his place.

It's the old Country tunes I really like playing...most always "less is more", or as my friend Johnny says, "Sprinkle a little pie-anna over the top!"

The Tyros5 (and Tyros4) has a wicked pedal steel...we must have done a hundred variations on "Sleepwalk", plus we played every pissin' and moanin' Country tune we could think of. Ha Ha!

Not a lot of really pro arranger players nearby, so it's great to have someone in the same area with much the same musical interests and playing the same type keyboard. It's too bad that more of us here on SZ don't live within a reasonable distance of each other.

I figure I'm never too old to learn and never too old to be young.

Ian

Or, as Red Green (from Canada's Red Green TV show) says, "If I can't look young...at least I can be immature."

#382699 - 01/27/14 08:47 AM Re: New gear [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Diki, I have to say it again...I agree! over the years, there have been happy, catchy tunes that were PLAIN FUN! Not much structure or even depth of meaning, but GREAT FUN!

Even the Grammy's as a whole. Some have said they wouldn't(or didn't) bother watching, but among the crap, a few jewels. And, lets face it, that is state of the art pop these days.

The instrument Stevie Wonder played at first is interesting. Our friend Rory Hoffman was a demo guy for them for a while.

And, given that much emphasis on the recognition of an outstanding music educator, while stiffing our friend Dave, was a bright spot for sure.

I come across as so serious, sometimes, but would probably be banned for awhile if I told you how much silly, plain FUN I've had over the years playing!

R.

#382706 - 01/27/14 09:14 AM Re: New gear [Re: zuki]
124 Offline

So true, Russ. I've always said that the day I stop enjoying what I do is the day I'll pack it in. Haven't been even close to that yet.

#382709 - 01/27/14 09:48 AM Re: New gear [Re: zuki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
This little guy is awesome...and, he looks like he's really into it. A prodigy nonetheless.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_fQrcEfXRU#t=293[/video]

#382745 - 01/27/14 12:48 PM Re: New gear [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Ian ... thanks for that ... JAZZ LIVES !!! ...amazing !!!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online