SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#382350 - 01/23/14 02:47 AM Re: TRADE anyone? [Re: zuki]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Thanks Zuki and thanks Donny for the youtube demos.
As to you Zuki opting for the BK7m module I wish you joy and strength cause by God I had the module for two months last year and it was doing my head in. Soundwise it's pretty good admitteldy, as to styles I have never cared all that much for most of the Roland styles, but programming the darn thing is my worst ever musical experience smile
As to the Yamaha Moxf 6, I think the acoustic piano and acoustic guitars are absolutely fabulous but to fork out a grand just for these is not on the menu, at least not at present.
Though I rarely see eye to eye with Diki I do in this respect when he mentions what a chore it is/must be having to program a new unfamiliar arranger from scractch, and just because a few of the instruments might be slightly better. I admire Spalding for hanging on to his PA1X and resisting all temptations so far. ( As Gary did for a long long time with his PSR3000).
Last night I experimented with using the Ketron Midjay Plus in conjuction with my PA800, playing the drums and bass from the Ketron and the acc. tracks from the PA800 and I must say it sounded quite impressive. If you listen to Ketron's (MIDI) drums one wonders where is the benefit of audio drums really...
So it looks like I am going to stay put with the two K's for the time being, unless a marvellous piano module comes along...

regards,
John

#382352 - 01/23/14 05:12 AM Re: TRADE anyone? [Re: zuki]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
"By the time you learn it all technology will have surpassed you in new models and the same thins can be done better and new features will be added also."

Our focus is different . I want to use 80 percent of my time making music and becoming a better musician and 20 percent having to wrestle with the technology . The best way to achieve this is to become intimately familiar with the instrument you make music on and actually use your time being musically creative. Keeping up with Technology can never be more important than the purpose the technology was developed for .

#382353 - 01/23/14 05:47 AM Re: TRADE anyone? [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: spalding1968

I want to use 80 percent of my time making music and becoming a better musician and 20 percent having to wrestle with the technology . The best way to achieve this is to become intimately familiar with the instrument you make music on and actually use your time being musically creative. Keeping up with Technology can never be more important than the purpose the technology was developed for .

Pretty much the way I look at it as well.

Ian

#382371 - 01/23/14 09:21 AM Re: TRADE anyone? [Re: zuki]
124 Offline

Right on the money, Spalding.

Yup, ten years with an i30 followed by the past four years with a Pa1Xpro. So, basically with the same MO for going on 15 years. I'm in no way a tweaker, well, enough to satisfy what I need to do. And Lord knows, a Pa1Xpro can be a tweaker's paradise, if you need it to be.

That's the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I like it. smile

Caveat: the rumoured Pa4X could, er . . . Hey, I'm only human smile

#382374 - 01/23/14 09:49 AM Re: TRADE anyone? [Re: zuki]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
A genuine "player" could be happy with any top model arranger from the last ten years..
The newest styles (any style can be used on the same 10 year old keyboard) are not the best reason to keep buying the current model..
As for sounds..a ten year old board has great pianos including EP, it has great bass, drums are mostly good, sax and guitar are very usable, organ and brass rival the new stuff...the most important ingredient is the "player"..

The guys buying something every six months are the "biggest losers"..The gain is next to nothing and it is interferring with you learning to use the instrument...most never even get to know what the instrument is about..

Sometimes we think it makes our performing life easier...but when you consider how well you could know your 10 year instrument...does it?
Very few folks here can tell you how to use your instrument in detail...maybe a punch in to sequence (change) a bass line in a variation style etc..

The more time we spend understanding and making use, of our instruments...the better player we can become....

Personally, I have no doubt I could be a contented player if I never changed from my G1000, or a decade earlier keyboard to the G1000 in that era..A 10 year old interval is not night and day difference...except for the gimmicks..

If you are waiting for the next version of what you own...you already have the wrong keyboard..in your hands...learn what you have!!!

PS: I understand the need for new toys, but keep it in perspective..especially if you want to be efficient on the keyboard..

Edited by Fran Carango (01/23/14 09:50 AM)

#382376 - 01/23/14 10:07 AM Re: TRADE anyone? [Re: zuki]
zuki Offline

Talk about sermons - plenty of them from the original question, so I'll decide what will work best for me. I have time to dedicate to a new instrument because I'm already familiar with Korg.

John, thanks for your comments about the non user friendly BK. I'll keep that in consideration.

I still think it would be great to have that module, along with the 900, for live play. 2 keyboards doesn't make sense unless I want my time split between studio work or live play, but for now my focus is on getting prepared for live.

So it appears I'm treading in unknown water - can't believe that no one is midi'g the BK to a keyboard for live play????

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#382377 - 01/23/14 10:43 AM Re: TRADE anyone? [Re: zuki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hey, Zuki, of course you will know what is best for you. I'm just glad to see you are thinking about getting back into your music...besides, advice is like castor oil...easy to give, but hard to take. Ha Ha!!!

John is right about the BK-7M being a tad hard to fathom, but if you have used, or have had any experience with, any Roland arrangers in the past while, it shouldn't be too bad.

DonM was using one with a controller keyboard and he seemed to get along fine with it.

I used a module a long time ago, a Roland RA-90, both with an arranger, and also with a digital piano...I eventually stayed with the latter setup.

Using two arrangers "live" can be challenging due to the many permutations and combinations available, but, it will also increase your palette of styles.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Ian

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online