SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38226 - 02/18/02 04:47 AM Hipass filters during mastering......
Procs Offline

Loc: Täby, Uppland, Sweden
Hi, I have heard some things about mastering that they always put on a Hipass filter around 30-35 Hz to remove unnecesary bassFrequencies. But is this something you always should do, I mean I am into dancemusic and was wondering if this couldn´t destroy some of the depth in sounds like a deep Kick or base line?

#38227 - 02/18/02 07:10 AM Re: Hipass filters during mastering......
stillme Offline

Loc: Michigan/US
30-35 hz is so low, you almost wouldn't be able to hear it. Filtering out this frequency will only reduce any excess, unnecessary noise. Same with the high-end. It won't hurt if you do it.

-Tracey

#38228 - 02/18/02 10:15 PM Re: Hipass filters during mastering......
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
My opinion is that you should go ahead with the filter, but maybe go around 27-30 HZ. This is about the lowest note on a piano, and most bass lines don't go below there. If they do, the harmonics of the note will still make it audible. Plus, many speakers can be easily damaged if they pump out frequencies much lower than that at any volume.

#38229 - 02/25/02 10:22 PM Re: Hipass filters during mastering......
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
i would just like to add that you might not want to filter eather the kick or the bass depending on witch of the 2 you want to have in the sub bass. what you pick to not filter will change from song to song. one might have a bass line that works better in the sub and another might have an interesting kick pattern you want to dominate the sub range. and other things you might want to filter to even higher frequencies like hihats and other things that have no reason to be in the sub range. i personaly enjoy damaging week speaker systems

#38230 - 02/27/02 02:34 PM Re: Hipass filters during mastering......
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Month speaker systems don't damage as easily?

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online