SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38199 - 07/27/00 06:32 PM Why those sensitive mikes?
Smitty Offline

Loc: Holtwood, PA. USA
For some time now I have been collecting information about recording and microphones in particular I have came across two scenareos:
1. Buy the best neuman out there(this thing can pick up a knat fart from a mile away),record yourself or someone else and at a later date edit out all the whisker rustle with noise gates and digital audio editing software.
2. use an SM-57 and record into a decent recorder and its a take.
What am I saying?(duh, I dunno)- I recently read of some BIG NAME rockers doing the number two and making a big hit of it, SM-57's cheap deck, small room acoustics- they went to the mastering studio with it and thats about it,the final tracks sounded very good. Call me what you will, but I'll keep tracking with my trusty N/D767a and my SM-57.

#38200 - 07/29/00 10:15 AM Re: Why those sensitive mikes?
daVinci Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
I say if you can afford an AKG tube mic or something go for it. It's goona sound better. But I've found a fairly inexpensive mic that rocks. It's called the APEX 420. APEX is a division of Yorkville. It retails at 299.00. I bought it and it sounds incredibly wounderful. I compared it back to back with an AKG C1000, Equitek CAD 300 and it smoked them. The CAD retails at about 799.00 I believe. Call Summerhays Music in Salt Lake and I'll hook you up.

#38201 - 07/29/00 09:06 PM Re: Why those sensitive mikes?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Here's two more great options:
1)AKG C1000s - about $189 or lower. Phantom power or 9v battery - cardiod or super cardioid filters included, high end "sizzle" makes drum overheads a breeze - acoustic guitars sing.
2)Marshall Electronics 2001 - about $200 WITH a great shock mount. Large diaphragm phantom power mic. Sounds almost as good as a Neuman, with the "tinyest" bit of noise. It's actually better for situations where the isolation is not ideal - The off axis rejection is very good.
Both mics sound great and give you more signal that the sm57 will. THe EV is a great vocal mic, but when you get used to a large diaphragm sound, it's hard to go back. On stage, I love the 767 - in the studio, it's another story. Happy shopping!

------------------
Uncle Dave

#38202 - 07/30/00 10:35 AM Re: Why those sensitive mikes?
Smitty Offline

Loc: Holtwood, PA. USA
Thanks for your information De vinci, anyone with a name like that has got to be smart! And Uncle Dave I almost feel like you are my uncle, I know your from Landenbburg and I'm just down the road from you here in Southern Lanc.Co., and I respect anyone who can make a living at music( I've been trying for years and have yet to succeed.)
With the dynamics I have and going through a good pre-amp into a DSP Factory Ive had fairly good results ,it would be a whole lot better if I could sing though, I'm still trying, I had the window up the other day and I think I called a flock of geese.
I guess my main point was that us small recordists/musicians who dont have access to the best acoustics and isolation booths are better off not picking up every little nuance of the sound unless we want to do a lot of audio edits later. I usually record through a mixer/equalizer/compressor(with noise gateing)/a BBE Sonic Maximizer/and on to the hard drive via Cakewalk and the DSP Factory(which is loaded with compressors and other mix doctoring tools/ after that its exported to wave for burning or to MP3 to my mp3 site. Tim

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online