SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#382337 - 01/22/14 08:16 PM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Marcus,

Like you are satisfied with your Tyros 5, I am with my Audya. We use it for all our performances. Both mics play through it. We use the onboard harmonizer & all I have is the two outs to the mixer & then to the amps.

I miss many of my Yamaha styles. These do not convert well to any other format. I would hate to perform with two arrangers, as I would have to set-up another midi switch to select which harmonizer controls the mics etc. Start getting a bit laborious.

So, vArranger might be the answer. If the Audya could be synched with it (although I understand this is rather unlikely because of the host of other sys-ex commands this generates), I could play audio drums and a selection of many other audio & midi loops (standard in the Audya) along with some styles. Can you imagine the results?

So for me, this might be something to seriously consider at a 10th the price of a new Tyros 5.

Henni

#382347 - 01/23/14 01:23 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Yes, if you have a Tyros 5, there is no need to play Tyros 5 styles with a computer smile

Juan created another videos with more styles.
If someone is interested, I will put new links talking about vArranger in facebook :

https://www.facebook.com/vArranger

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#382351 - 01/23/14 03:06 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: Henni]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Henni,

Surely its deviating from your current situation but I still feel the best bet would be a light MIDI controller with an Audya 4 Module instead of the Audya keyboard assuming it has all the functionalities of the keyboard version. And you could save on the module over the keyboard and use it to buy a Roland BK-7m and / or Yamaha XS rack[all played through the vArranger since it supports other style formats and has multiple MIDI Outs for each channel]

I do use Oxygen MIDI controller + 4X4 MIDI Interface + vArranger running on my desktop + SD-2 and PSR S-950. But I play only at home so there is no hassle of carrying two keyboards and the related setup etc. But yes an all in one TOTL like the T5 or an Audya gives you a easier learning curve and a faster setup.

Regards,
Jez

#382383 - 01/23/14 12:34 PM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Marcus... simply substitute Roland or Korg for Yamaha, and you may see why something like this is so good... You like your T5, but maybe you'd like to play some Roland styles or Korg styles into it?

Sure, you can buy EMC software, do all the converting yourself, deal with drum maps and non-standard sounds and features, or you get vArranger, and have it do all that for you, in realtime!

This thread concentrated on ONE way of using it, using Ketron or Korg sound sources to play Yamaha styles. But there's no reason (if Dan has the maps working) why it can't go in the other direction, depending on the Tyros's capabilities.

#382412 - 01/24/14 05:42 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: Diki]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki
Marcus... simply substitute Roland or Korg for Yamaha, and you may see why something like this is so good... You like your T5, but maybe you'd like to play some Roland styles or Korg styles into it?

Sure, you can buy EMC software, do all the converting yourself, deal with drum maps and non-standard sounds and features, or you get vArranger, and have it do all that for you, in realtime!

This thread concentrated on ONE way of using it, using Ketron or Korg sound sources to play Yamaha styles. But there's no reason (if Dan has the maps working) why it can't go in the other direction, depending on the Tyros's capabilities.

Hi DiKi
I still don't quite understand what you are saying and the purpose of the software. So for some reason the vArranger degrades the sounds of the Tyros 5, and I assume Yamaha styles in general, but substituting Roland or Korg make the vArranger sound "so good".
The program will make TOTL Roland or Korg sound better? Don't people buy the TOTL product for its sound quality and all-in-one capabilities?
I do load Roland and Korg styles into my Tyros 5, of course the pre-converted ones, but I am trying to improve the sound, not degrade it, plus wouldn't one what to convert and setup styles before a live situation. One bring more than your one arranger to a gig? Isn't that the point a an arranger?
I have done Custom Voices and Custom Drum kits with my own samples with my Tyros 3 and 4 over the years, and load no problem into the Tyros 5 via my Tyros 4 library saves. Now my Custom Voices and Drum Kits sound even better plus the ability to use the new and latest DSP effects and integrate sound of the Custom Voices into the styles as well.
I am in the process now of converting some of my favorite and usable Roland, Ketron and Korg to the Tyros 5 and voice/drumkit plalets. A lot of them adapt well into the T5 Audio Style conversion and the other Mega, SA, and Custom Voices. I can't see how the vArranger program is going to make these styles sound better or realer than the T5 sounds?
On another Yamaha forum I posted MP3s of one of Hennie's old styles converted into audio in the Tyros 5 Style Creator. Took less than 5 minutes, but once saved it is there for gigging if I want.
Also there was one of my several Tyros 5 Audio Styles converted to midi. Anyone with a T4 or T5 can try it if they want. I am fine with the Tyros 5 capabilities for now.

Regards Marcus

So there are three downloads below. The first is the MP3 of the T5 country audio style, EasyCountry1, just running through Intro III, variation A-B-C-D, Break, variation A again, and ending III. The second MP3 is a recording of the same style with the midi drum part conversion and how it sounds on a T5. My T4 isn't home right now, so I can't test it myself, but anyone else be my guest. The third download is the converted style to try. It has that name because I borrowed the midi drum part from the most suitable style, the EasyCountry2 which isn't audio.

The Audio Styles are not at all limiting, I'll have no problem filling up my User Drive with saves, plus 50 great Audio Styles easily converted to midi with outstanding quality, programing and realism of the new T5 voices and DSPs.

EasyCountry1-audio.mp3

https://app.box.com/s/2ye4l20f0bu735q036p7

EasyCountry1-midi.mp3

https://app.box.com/s/8c8103y07rpcuq3nqw0p

EasyCountry1-midiEasyCty2.STY

https://app.box.com/s/unwliv5sr3znymbw82op

Just to add that the Tyros 5 Audio Styles are not limited to hybrid styles with the Tyros 5 styles only, but thousands of 3rd party styles as well. So basically you can take a basic style and convert it to audio on the Tyros 5 Style Creator. So all your Korg or Ketron Styles for instance.

I am slowing going through my favorite styles and just going through Hennie's conversion styles. For instance in his Fav2B folder, for fun I took his Cocaine_Ty style and made it audio with the SheriffReggae Audio Style. Again, here are two MP3s, first the original midi style converted to audio in the second example.

Cocaine_Ty.mp3

https://app.box.com/s/ewtoy7b4eogbvtdp0urb

SheriffReggae Cocaine.mp3

https://app.box.com/s/jk6fwjfrpnjrgl9vlv8x

So when someone says limitations, I say what limitations. Beyond limitations, you can take style conversions from other brands and make them better with the Tyros 5 sounds. Why limit yourself just to the other brand arrangers?

Edited by Marcus (01/24/14 05:44 AM)

#382425 - 01/24/14 08:12 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: Marcus]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Marcus, some people need an arranger software, and some not, like you.

smile

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#382427 - 01/24/14 08:42 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
Marcus Offline

Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
Marcus, some people need an arranger software, and some not, like you.

smile

Hi Dan

I apologize if I am misunderstanding this thread. My understanding was that the demo had a Tyros 5 hooked up to the software and either the Ketron SD2 or Korg PA600 is playing the styles.

So in a live situation, why would you do this if the better arranger sounds is already there? If the Tyros 5 is not present in the demo, then where are the Tyros 5 styles coming from?

Marcus

#382432 - 01/24/14 09:55 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
Diki Offline

No, the demo was of a LAPTOP hooked up to a Korg and a Ketron module. The only thing T5 about it was the original styles (presumably copied from memory and played by the laptop).

And naturally, as the T5 has only been out for a short while, I think Dan's maps for the drumkits and other sounds has room for improvement.

But the basic idea of the product is, no matter WHAT arranger you have (or if you only have a controller and some modules or other keyboards), you can play Roland, Yamaha and Korg styles (Ketron's not quite there, is it Dan, because of the audio loops unless you use a Ketron sound source, right?) without going through the hassle of EMC'ing them and tweaking.

#382437 - 01/24/14 10:40 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: Diki]
Marcus Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
No, the demo was of a LAPTOP hooked up to a Korg and a Ketron module. The only thing T5 about it was the original styles (presumably copied from memory and played by the laptop).

And naturally, as the T5 has only been out for a short while, I think Dan's maps for the drumkits and other sounds has room for improvement.

But the basic idea of the product is, no matter WHAT arranger you have (or if you only have a controller and some modules or other keyboards), you can play Roland, Yamaha and Korg styles (Ketron's not quite there, is it Dan, because of the audio loops unless you use a Ketron sound source, right?) without going through the hassle of EMC'ing them and tweaking.

O.k., make more sense now. That is going to be a tall order getting the same sound quality of the original arranger style and arranger keyboard, regardless of brand through software conversion. The TOTL arrangers keep getting better and better.

At least speaking for Yamaha styles, it is going to be very difficult interpreting velocity sensitive midi style data for the Mega voice parts, and the complex programming data from the SA style voices that render realistic performance nuances to the overall style.

Anyway, interesting thread, good luck with software interfaces. I had enough issues in the past with live software interfaces and latency issues, but I guess technology is getting better. Not for everyone.

Regards, Marcus

#382438 - 01/24/14 11:03 AM Re: Tyros 5 styles on Ketron SD2 VS Korg PA600 [Re: DAN.2000]
Diki Offline

No, naturally, proprietary techniques from each keyboard type tend to lose a bit in translation, but that door swings both ways... there are things Korg and Roland and Ketron do that don't quite sound right on Tyros, either.

And no, of COURSE it is impossible to sound identical going from one arranger to another... But, especially for more legacy styles (before some of the proprietary stuff became commonplace in styles) you should be able to get close.

I see this product as sort of an 'instant EMC converter' in some ways, but it has the potential to go quite a bit further. For instance, there's no reason why it can't add a Chord Sequencer (may have already, I think Dan was working on that) so if your own arranger doesn't have that feature, now it does! Same goes for the Dynamic Arranger feature from Roland (you looked into this, Dan?), where the velocity you are playing on the keyboard adds or subtracts a bit of velocity from the Style Parts, and makes them follow YOUR dynamics. It's an amazing feature, currently Roland only, I think...

Out of the box, I think it is still a bit raw (I think there's considerable room for improvement in the translation tables) but you can edit all the styles played by it, so if there are better sounds and kits, you can tell it to use them.

My only regret is that it isn't an iPad or Mac app yet, but who knows? An iPad version would be incredible!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online