SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38170 - 07/18/00 07:45 PM DIGI 001 a good all in one system???? Comments!!!!
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
I checked out the Digi 001/MacG4 combination the other day and was very impressed to be honest. I'm a Logic user on PC at present and could see that Protools LE lacked certain midi functions (such as score and event edit) which I frequently use in Logic. But to be honest, after being demoed the Digi 001 system, I could see workarounds to the above limitations (and Digidesign promise to upgrade the MIDI side of things as they further develop this software!!!!).

My question is- what are user opinions with regards to using this as my sole midi sequencer, multitrack and 2 track audio editor?

No I don't do incredibly complicated things at present (such as scoring to picutre etc) but I will definetly be doing alot of mastering for CD burning and of course MIDI stuff with a little bit of multitrack audio. 24 tracks is more than enough for me at present and I don't need more that 128 midi tracks either.

Any opinions are most welcome and appreciated!

#38171 - 07/21/00 05:37 AM Re: DIGI 001 a good all in one system???? Comments!!!!
Korgasm Offline

Anyone Please??

#38172 - 07/21/00 06:51 PM Re: DIGI 001 a good all in one system???? Comments!!!!
tails Offline

Korgasm,

I have yet to hear the quality of the Digi001 but I'll take your waord for it, because Digidesign excel in their hardware. i think that you can use Logic with the Digi hardware. You don't necessarily have to use Pro Tools LE. But if they say that they're going to improve the MIDI side then maybe you should wait a while. Cause I've used the Pro Tools 4.11 and the Midi sequencer sucks! everything should work fine with it except the midi sequencing part.

#38173 - 07/29/00 06:39 AM Re: DIGI 001 a good all in one system???? Comments!!!!
Logik Offline

Loc: Aalesund, Norway
I just read at harmony central that Digidesign has upgraded the ProTools software with enhanced MIDI capabilities. I don't know if this will be adequate for your purposes, but you could do a search on the site and see for yourself
www.harmony-central.com

#38174 - 08/03/00 09:25 AM Re: DIGI 001 a good all in one system???? Comments!!!!
digiboy Offline

Well, I'm a pretty satisfied customer of my digi001. I love the mastering tools, but to be honest I don't have a lot of experience to compare it to.

The midi between 4x and 5x is night and day, so don't let that scare you off. The midi sequencing is good, just not terrific (such as it lacks groove quantization or event editing). The audio editing is superb. I love being able to shape my panning with a square wave or sinusoid and have it locked to a tempo.

One nice feature is the bus tracking so that when you get some tracks laid, you can save the original audio and then bus them together to a new track (applying any plugins at this point) and then freeing up those tracks.

One problem with the digi001 is that it is very proprietary. Supposedly the projects in the digi will convert to a TDM system, but I've heard this only works on the Mac at this time. It will probably be added in the future to the PC, as well.

#38175 - 08/04/00 07:29 AM Re: DIGI 001 a good all in one system???? Comments!!!!
Korgasm Offline

I read that the next upgrade for 001 will include groove quantizing and an event list editor and 'potentially' notation editing (from the Digidesign videoclip).

It looks like the Digi001 is the GO for me- but I have a few more questions-

a). I'd be using a Mac- I want to master CD's for clients and potentially to send off for duplication. Will Toast surfice for my needs or should I upgrade to Toast Pro/Deluxe, Jam or Masterlist CD. I've heard that Jam and Masterlist are really the 'be all and end all' for hi-end audio CD burning but I mighten require all the more advanced features at present. Also I've heard that Masterlist is very expensive for what it offers. How do these programs compare and would I be advised to get something like Spark or Peak (2 track editors) for mastering and setting up playlists etc.

The guys in the shop said that the 001 could be pretty much all I need for mastering also and I should give it a try on it's own before seeing if I actually need a dedicated 2 track editor.

Also, I'm looking at getting Emagic's Soundiver or Motu's Unisyn. Which of these would be better and will they work in tandem with the 001 (ie- using OMS).

If I'm not happy with the 001's midi features in the long run, I'll bite the bullet and get Logic later- it's just a matter of budget at the moment because the simple 001/G4 set up will set me back around $8,000.00 Aussie I think! Wheew.

Thanks in advance for any more responses!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online