SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38088 - 11/30/01 03:36 PM Looking for hardware info on computer recording
splatastic Offline

Hello,

I'd like to start using my computer for multi-track recording. I've been looking at various hardware solutions and I'd like to bounce a few ideas off of people. I'm sort of on a budget (aren't we all?)

1st idea: M-Audio 66 (or a used M-Audio 44).

2nd idea: SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum with some sort of digital outboard mixer.

3rd idea: Tascam US-428.

I would like to use Cakewalk SONAR for recording. I know the Tascam doesn't support this (yet), but it comes with a special version of Cubasis which I guess would work ok.
With the Audigy and mixer, I know I need a digitial mixer, but what features should I look for? Something that sends multiple channels over either the S/PDIF or the optical connector I would think. Or is that not even possible?

If anyone has used/seen any or all of these devices, feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

#38089 - 12/08/01 04:52 PM Re: Looking for hardware info on computer recording
Shaz Offline

What gear do you have to start with? What instruments? How many mic's are you going to want to record? I'm no expert, but if I know what you have to work with I might be able to make suggestions.

One thing I can say is I had a lot of trouble with the Audigy cards. See the thread How do I make better recordings? for more info on what "ve been up too....

#38090 - 12/11/01 07:12 AM Re: Looking for hardware info on computer recording
splatastic Offline

Computer: Athlon 1.2Ghz, 512MB RAM, SB Live!, 30GB HD, HP9100i burner, Cakewalk 9.0. & SONAR, Win98SE.

I've got a Roland S-10 (used mostly as a MIDI controller, but can record audio from it), BOSS SP-303, and DJXII-B (beatbox w/ audio out). I would also be recording my friends on guitar. I want to be able to mix MIDI w/ audio. But, the more I've been playing with my setup, the more I realize that the SB Live is weak, and I would probably go with an external MIDI module. So, I'll probably be mostly recording audio into the computer.
I probably won't be recording 'live', so only maybe 1 or 2 mics at a time.

I'm looking for the most reliable combination of audio hardware and software. Is there some hardware that likes certian software better?

Thanks,
Bill

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online