Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#379356 - 12/24/13 10:00 PM Re: How do you record your music? [Re: Dnj]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Originally Posted By: Dnj

Donny,
agreed that an image (or a video or a link, whatever) is better than a thousand words, but I would like to know something more.
This Mixcraft suite seems too good to be true: only 149.95 USD for the Pro Studio version, and it has more than 6500 loops!
You know that I am a sucker for loops, but do you (or anyone else) have any direct experience of the program? How is the quality of the loops?
Thanks for the link anyway.

#379357 - 12/24/13 10:10 PM Re: How do you record your music? [Re: Dreamer]
Dreamer Offline

Gary and Dave,
many thanks for reporting your experience. I hope that we can all benefit from each other.
Dave, I am listening right now to Jammin in Brazil and I like it; your voice has a pleasant timbre and has something in common with Don Mason (the accent maybe? Or the way to phrase the lyrics? I like it anyway) Also, great piano licks in Peaches in my cream! cool

#379358 - 12/24/13 10:23 PM Re: How do you record your music? [Re: beachbum]
Dreamer Offline

Originally Posted By: beachbum

I use adobe audition 1.5 – 3.0 is ok, never warmed up to sonar or pro tools, it’s up to you. I only use audio so 128 tracks is good.
Add an audio card, I recommend, RHE sound card,
Get a mixer – I have a Heath and Allen mixer
Run your keyboard to the mixer, then to the audio card and run the outs to your speakers.
To listen to the results I get you can listen here.
http://chipos.com
Let me know if you have questions are even want to go this route.
I have messed with every USB sound device (Motu, Mbox, ect..) and nothing beats a rig…

Good luck

Hi Beachbum,

I too have Audition 3.0, but have never heard of an RHE soundcard and a Google search returned nothing.
I have a digital mixer/recorder (Yamaha AW2816)

and so one could say that I am set already, but I bought it more than ten years ago and -as I said- things change; besides, it lacks features that we take for granted, like an USB interface (it still has a SCSI); the sound quality, however, is still top notch.
Final question: what do you mean with "rig"?
I am listening to your songs and your voice reminds me a lot of Sting. smile

#379359 - 12/24/13 10:51 PM Re: How do you record your music? [Re: Dreamer]
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
RIG = Desktop computer.

Audio Card
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9632.php

Attachments
0088411608698_A.jpg

#379362 - 12/25/13 12:46 AM Re: How do you record your music? [Re: Dreamer]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Dreamer

I use a Zoom R16. This is a very flexible set up, you can use it as a simple two track or as a eight track (simultaneous) recorder, it also doubles as a mixer for live performance. My recently acquired G70 allows six outputs, two for vocals, two for accompaniment, one bass and one drums. If can also using a splitter cable on the mic record lead vocal and harmony separately.

The R16 recoeds in wave format and connects via USB to my PC, Using drag and drop I transfer the files into Cubase for editing and conversion to MP3 files.

Regards

Col

Attachments
IMGP0990.JPG (70 downloads)
IMGP0988.JPG (57 downloads)

Edited by Saswick (12/25/13 12:53 AM)

#379365 - 12/25/13 02:38 AM Re: How do you record your music? [Re: Saswick]
Dreamer Offline

Originally Posted By: Saswick
Hi Dreamer

I use a Zoom R16. This is a very flexible set up, you can use it as a simple two track or as a eight track (simultaneous) recorder, it also doubles as a mixer for live performance. My recently acquired G70 allows six outputs, two for vocals, two for accompaniment, one bass and one drums. If can also using a splitter cable on the mic record lead vocal and harmony separately.

The R16 recoeds in wave format and connects via USB to my PC, Using drag and drop I transfer the files into Cubase for editing and conversion to MP3 files.

Regards

Col

Col,

that's a very cool setup, one that really intrigues me much, especially for the quality/price relationship. I have seen that the R16 can record to SD cards and this offers another, handy, way to transfer your wav files to the PC for the final editing.
One question: don't you feel limited recording the drums with just one output of the G-70? This way you lose the stereo field, don't you?

P.S.; what kind of monitors are you using? I couldn't tell from the photo.

#379368 - 12/25/13 04:03 AM Re: How do you record your music? [Re: Dreamer]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Andrea

You are correct in what you say about the drums, I sometimes leave the bass along with the accompaniment and record the drums in stereo, depends on the song.

The monitors are nEar 4 by ESI I've had them quite a while they give a good response, I just feel at times they can tend to be a touch heavy on the bass.

A couple of other points about the Zoom I didn't mention, you can record up to 16 tracks by over dubbing. The Zoom also has a very comprehensive suite of effects,even a dedicated range of Guitar effects.

I normally record the vocals using insert effects which are applied on the fly and not burnt into the wave file I then apply the effects using Cubase.

If you wish you can also create any number of master's using the Zoom itself which includes the on board effects, the choice is yours.

There are so many different ways to use the Zoom it's really up to you, I would recommend it either for quick recordings or serious multi-tracking. I think it's the nearest thing to a full studio for a sensible outlay.

In this example of "Lyin Eye's" I used 7 tracks, the lead vocal separate, I also recorded the song with the harmony on all the time then used the automation in Cubase to bring the harmony in when required, cheating I know but what the he..

https://app.box.com/s/ruoo5k6xbortwjvc2s88

Regards

Col

Edited by Saswick (12/25/13 04:13 AM)

#379370 - 12/25/13 04:40 AM Re: How do you record your music? [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Saswick
Hi Dreamer

Regards Col

Col nice setup only thing that scares me is that
single brace X stand surprised holding up the heavy G70 or any KB... confused1

#379373 - 12/25/13 06:15 AM Re: How do you record your music? [Re: Dreamer]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I use a combination of a DAW and onboard sequencers (if the keyboard is equipped with a decent one). I used to use hardware when I wanted to share music via the web or other ways, but boy I got sick of all the cables for this and that. It's so much easier using a DAW for most of my work now.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#379378 - 12/25/13 06:56 AM Re: How do you record your music? [Re: Dreamer]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Dreamer
I record live to an external Tascam digital recorder.
I use the digital out from my Motif
I record 2 track stereo to a compact flash in wav
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online