Topic Options
#378992 - 12/21/13 12:25 PM Re: Quanza Songs?...................... [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Mmmmmm, yup. Add "Summer in NY"

#379001 - 12/21/13 12:54 PM Re: Quanza Songs?...................... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
That is nice Tony, very nice! I find Franks's sound is wispy enough to make the music feel like someone is breathing the words, but the changes never let it get too dreamy.

Perfect combination, and the solos always seem to have been specially made for the tunes.

Peggy Lee was a favorite of mine too...I saw her many years ago performing live with a full orchestra in Halifax at a Seniors Convention/Trade Show where we had a booth with several Clavinova and a few acoustic pianos.

She was awesome, and the folks simply adored her...standing ovations...she had to do at least 4 encores before they let her stop.

I also saw a group called New York Voices which were a take on Manhattan Transfer. They were incredible.

I've always liked laid back music with lots of interesting changes and tone colors, probably why I liked doing the restaurant thing so much with an arranger keyboard.

I used to love (and still do) playing Michael Frank's arrangement of I love Lucy instrumentally, with Soprano Sax and Jazz Guitar as main melody instruments, and it was surprising how people would listen and somehow recognize something very familiar about the melody, but hardly ever guessed what it was...when I told them, there was always, "Oh, Yeah! Yes! THAT's it!"

I found a very close arrangement in one of the old Ultimate Fake Books, and learned from that and added the rest by ear, but I haven't needed the music in years. I may still have it in pdf. I believe it's in "C", my favorite key...ha ha!

Your Korg should do these types of tunes very well, as they excel at smooth jazz styles.

Ian

#379121 - 12/22/13 07:15 PM Re: Quanza Songs?...................... [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I have always loved Michael Franks singing. I have most of his albums.

#379122 - 12/22/13 07:25 PM Re: Quanza Songs?...................... [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles

In my musical world, great singers are held in the same high esteem that I hold great musicians. Personal favorites include Joe Williams, Sarah Vaughn, Billy Holiday, Nina Simone, James Brown, Ray Charles, Joe Cocker, Tony Bennett, Mel Torme, Shirley Horn, Lou Rawls, Bobby Caldwell, Janis Joplin, Aretha Franklin, Roberta Flack, Dusty Springfield, B.B. King, and lately, Ruthie Foster. Obviously, I'm all about the 'soul' and that comes from within and can be expressed through any instrument, be it piano, organ, sax, trumpet, or the human voice. As with keyboards, I always felt that the feelings and emotions behind it were always way more important than the quality of the voice.

chas

You present a great list of legendary singers Chas. Another I have always enjoyed and is truly a musician is Al Jarreau who always puts an an outstanding performance. Some years ago I was at a restaurant in Los Angeles enjoying good food and even better music from Freddie Ravel and his band. In between songs he announced a friend of his was celebrating his birthday that night in the restaurant and was going to sing a couple of songs with the band. Al Jarreau got up from his table and blew everyone away with his impromptu performance. Later that night I passed him in the hallway and thanked him for the treat. He just laughed and said "Just singing on my birthday".

#379126 - 12/22/13 08:07 PM Re: Quanza Songs?...................... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Yeah, Al is great, definitely a unique talent. Here's another lesser known guy that, IMO, is the real deal. Always wondered why guys like this never got the acclaim of some their lesser talented brethren.

chas

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online