SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#37828 - 12/05/99 01:59 AM New Korg D16 16 track recorder: wow!!!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Hi All,
Just received my first shipment of D16's today and if you don't know about them yet, you will soon!
16 track playback, 8 track simultaneous recording, 24 bit recording, 11 effects can be used on different tracks without recording them on the tracks, 2.1 GB internal ide with 7 more drives available, 100 scene memories for instant recall, 4 band EQ per track, microphone modeling, guitar effect modeling, multi-effects, etc. etc. etc. The size is as small as a D8 and the D16 has the trinity and triton touch screen. And the best part is the price. $2399.00 retail, so street price will be under $20000.00!! I used it all day and demo'd the unit to many. I'm blown away. There are so many features I can't wait to play it some more.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#37829 - 12/05/99 07:37 PM Re: New Korg D16 16 track recorder: wow!!!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hello George,
How does this harddisk recording system compare to the Roland VS-880 or even VS 1680 ?
fred

#37830 - 12/10/99 03:16 AM Re: New Korg D16 16 track recorder: wow!!!
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
George,

On Korg's D16 specs page it mentions that "Maximum Recording Capacity: Internal + 1000 Gbyte x 7 drives". Is it 1000 MBytes of 1000 GBytes? The largest hard disks available is about 50 GB in the market. Do you know what type of filesystem Korg uses for recording? For example, Roland uses DOS FAT16 for the old VS-880 hard disk recorder and so the largest cluster size it recognizes is only 512 Bytes, limiting the largest partition to be 2 GB. Since Korg can recognize a lot more, I suppose it is using FAT32 or some Korg proprietary filesystem format if the specs is right at 1000GB x 7. However, since D16 only comes with a 2 GB disk, I suspect that it is probably a typo.

#37831 - 12/11/99 02:24 AM Re: New Korg D16 16 track recorder: wow!!!
George Kaye Offline

Hi Fred and Paul,
First, Paul if I wouldn't have looked at the Solton discussion group site tonight I would have not remembered I posted this about the D16. Thanks for the reminder!
In my opinion and my Alesis Reps opinion who listened very carefully, the D16 because of not having any compression, sounds better. Also, having so many effects and very good EQ is a real plus. The only negative I can see so far, is the fact that it looks inexpensive because of it's size and plastic light weight case. But, it's packed with great pro features and a great touchscreen interface.
Paul, I asked the same question to Korg, and with their little knowledge of this product at this point I think it is possible to have a total of 1000 gigabite of total memory if a hard drive could have that much memory. I asked if there was a limit to the size of a partition, and the answer was I don't think so from Korg. But I will have to find out more. But even if you were limited to 2 gigs, it's still an amazing product. The drum machine idea is way cool, as well as having a built in mic. I recorded on it today for the first time, and the sound was brilliant.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#37832 - 12/18/99 01:36 AM Re: New Korg D16 16 track recorder: wow!!!
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
I am anxious to check this out also! How does it compare feature wise to the Roland VS1680- I showed interest in one of these but upon playing around with it, I found it too complicated to use- Is the D16 different in this respect. However are effects allocated to tracks. Do the Mic Pre's have phantom power- they better!!!!! Please write!

#37833 - 12/19/99 06:46 PM Re: New Korg D16 16 track recorder: wow!!!
George Kaye Offline

Well it's Christmas madhouse in my store these days and I don't have much time to get online until the hoilidays are over. However, I did get some more info on the D16 last week.
First, the maximum hard drive size is 100 meg. The good news is that it will record on all 100. The D16 does not set partition sizes as some do. Also, if you want 24 bit recording, you can only record and playback 8 tracks with a max of 4 recorded at a time. If you want to record 16 with 16 track playback and record up to 8 at a time, the record resolution becomes 16 bit. The mic preamps are great (quiet) and the record process is really easy compared to the VS in my simple minded opinion. As far as the effects go, there are 8 insert (with up to 5 effects per insert), 2 system effects, and one mixdown effect. I don't believe there is any limitation on where these 8 insert effects are applied, but I don't know if I understand your question. The owners manual also mentions that you can mixdown all 16 tracks to any two open virtual tracks, to provide for a 2 track master, which can later be played back out to another source. I hope this answers some questions.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#37834 - 12/20/99 01:31 AM Re: New Korg D16 16 track recorder: wow!!!
Korgasm Offline

Thanks for your valuable info George! You seemed to have answered my question re- effects- I thought that 8 insert fx mean't the same effects system as the Trinity keyboard- up to 8 size '1' insert effects! Also Do the Mic Pre's have phantom power- this is an important issue with me so I can use a Rode NT2 (or other condenser) without having to buy an external mic pre. Is it much more easier to use than say a VS1680 because of the touchview screen? Thanks for an info in advance! Cheers.

#37835 - 12/20/99 08:08 PM Re: New Korg D16 16 track recorder: wow!!!
George Kaye Offline

Yes it is much easier to use than the 1680 because of the logical way the touchscreen works. I forgot to look to see if it has phantom power, but even if it doesn't you can buy a $50.00 rolls phantom power supply which plugs into the wall to give you phantom power. If I can remember I will check tomorrow at the store.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#37836 - 12/23/99 09:44 AM Re: New Korg D16 16 track recorder: wow!!!
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Sounds great. I'm using the D8 right now. I thought about the VS880 when I first went digital but gave up trying to understand the manual. It would be easier to solve world hunger before understanding that sucker. I've been hoping Korg would come out with a 16. How is the screen display, seeing as we've now got an additional 8 tracks? I haven't seen the unit here yet. Are there any websites I can check out to have a look? That price you mentioned sounds good except up here in Canada I'm probably looking at $3700+
Anyway....thanx for the news, I looking forward to trying it out.

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 12-23-1999).]

#37837 - 12/24/99 09:29 PM Re: New Korg D16 16 track recorder: wow!!!
Korgasm Offline

Leon- I understand that is will retail for $3,995 in Australia. Our Korg distributor here told me that the unit won't have phantom power on the Mic preamps! I think that this is pathetic personally as a good condensor mic such as a Rode NT1/NT2 or AKG C1000/C3000 are quite affordable for the home studio owner. Do Korg possibly think that all their potential users are going to be using only dynamic mics such as SM58's or SM57's for recording- I should think not!!!!
Now I'm going to have to buy that external Mic pre afterall! And to my horror I also discover that Korg are giving this unit an EXTERNAL POWRE SUPPLY!!!!!!! WHAT???????? Come on guys, no professional bit of gear should ever come with an external power supply! THAT SHOULD BE A RULE! Anyway, these units are due to ship at the end of January 2000 and I will no doubt be anxious to check it out. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!0

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online