SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#37803 - 05/07/02 12:34 PM What to get for 5k????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey all,
I have got about 5k to start up an new home studio. What should i get? This has to include CPU, sound card, mixer, monitors and software. Let me know.

I am pretty much set on getting the mac g4 800 with 17 inch flat screen($2700 right there) the rest is up for grabs. Looking at the Yamaha 01V, dont know which sequencer to get. Also, anyone heard anything about the new Mbox?

#37804 - 05/16/02 01:45 PM Re: What to get for 5k????
KenB Offline

Mbox has no midi support and only a couple of inputs. Kinda limited.

What you buy all depends on what you are planning to do. Are you a Midi guy or strictly audio. Are you going to be using it as a project studio that you are going to take to a professional studio to master or master on your own.

Start with monitors. Depends on the size of your mixing environment...if its large, make sure you get units that are able to deliver enough sound to fill the space. If it is small, make sure you don't buy something that is too powerful. I don't think you could go wrong with the Mackie 824's or 624's depending on your room size. (If very large, you may want a subwoofer, too)
Are you doing surround sound? Will you need Mics?

Manufacturers to look into and determine with advantages suit your needs and which negatives don't concern you:
Digidesign
MOTU
Echo
Emagic
Steinberg

#37805 - 05/23/02 05:58 AM Re: What to get for 5k????
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
OK, here is what I suggest:

1) Cubase SX, Wavelab 4
2) RME-multiface or MOTU896
3) P4 2.4 or dual if you can (northwood core)
4) Two very large and excellent harddrives (IBM: is a good brand) ata/100 7200RPM
5) 1 GIG of very fastest memory.
6) mixer:
7) monitors:
8) XP-PRO
9) computer should be equipped with firewire and usb ports.
10) the best computer monitors you can get your hands on.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online