SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#37745 - 07/17/02 09:56 AM Loading sounds into the Split 8
Blacklight Offline

I recently aquired a Sequential Split 8. I am also planning on ordering the datacassettes for sounds and factory presets (as factory presets are a good thing to have to restore the unit) that Wine Country Sequential is offering. My question is, since tape cassetes tend to degrade over time, would it be possible to reccord the data tapes to a CD or CD's and load the sounds to the Split 8 with a CD player or from wav file playing through a PC or is the synth too sensitive to the minute differences in the sound quality ? Anyone know ?

#37746 - 07/17/02 11:15 AM Re: Loading sounds into the Split 8
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Why wouldn't you just get an editor/librarian software like GALAXY EDITOR and stor them that way ?

#37747 - 07/19/02 08:50 PM Re: Loading sounds into the Split 8
Blacklight Offline

I can't seem to find an editor/patch librarian that is compatable with the split 8. I've tried a few and they don't like it. The only version of Galaxy Editor I found is for MAC only and I have a PC. If you know of where I can find a PC version, let me know. This Galaxy Editor does work with the Split 8 ?

#37748 - 07/19/02 08:54 PM Re: Loading sounds into the Split 8
Blacklight Offline

..besides.. documentation from Sequential is virtually nonexistant for this synth. The manuals don't explain much. The only way it talks about to load sounds into it or save sounds from it is to hook up a cassete player to it's data port and reccord the data to a tape cassette. It doesn't really mention any other way to do it.

#37749 - 07/20/02 03:32 PM Re: Loading sounds into the Split 8
800dv Offline

I have a few friends that are also unfortunately stuck with PCs . I know they made an editor for that model but I can't remember what it was called . I will check it out and then get back to you . Give me a few days and I'll know something .

#37750 - 07/20/02 07:53 PM Re: Loading sounds into the Split 8
Blacklight Offline

If anyone is interested, Sequential just got back to me. They said that patches are loaded via audio so that you can load and unload the patch set using wav files, mp3 files, CD, tape, or any relatively clear sound producing or reccording device. Meaning I can save patches on the computer in wavs and load it using Windows Media player and a line running from my audio out to the synth.
I am really eager to see that patch editor for it ! Sequential doesn't know of any that exist for this model.

#37751 - 07/22/02 12:56 PM Re: Loading sounds into the Split 8
800dv Offline

After a long look I have bad news . There never was an editor for the SPLIT 8 for a PC . Only Mac and Atari . The Split 8 was made from late 84 to mid 85 and was a dismal failure for SCI . It just didn't make it long enough to get a PC editor . Back in 1984 and 85 there wasn't much available for PCs . It was all Mac and Atari with a little C-64 . Sorry , but I looked everywhere . Get a Mac , you need to anyway so why wait .

#37752 - 07/22/02 07:48 PM Re: Loading sounds into the Split 8
Blacklight Offline

I don't really like MACs. I'll stick to a PC thank you.
Any one of you programmers out there want to write an editor for the Split 8 ?
Might be a cool little project. Man, I have GOT to learn to write programs. All that would have to be done is to decode the sound that the Split 8 communicated with. I'm sure that theres at least ways of doing that and getting the signal down to binary so the varoius functions could be decoded eventually. Maybe make the program compatable with all synths that use audio signal to save and load data. (Maybe make it an add in for an existing Prophet or MultiTrack editor (I know those exist)
Anyway.. I'm just rambling hoping to spark a programmer to write something and dreaming that someone actually will get inspired and do it..

#37753 - 07/22/02 09:12 PM Re: Loading sounds into the Split 8
800dv Offline

So you are saying you don't like computers that actually work and perform perfectly ????? Strange . The PC crowd is certainly a head in the sand crowd . The problem with the SPLIT 8 is that you could be the only one in you're state with one . They were not a popular synthesizer . I remember back in 1985 the stores couldn't give them away . I actually like them , it's a different sound than the typical Roland or Korg sound . But SCI was already on their way out and people knew it , so their product sales ground to a hault . The SPLIT 8 sold even worse than the SIXTRACK , MULTITRACK , and MAX . The problem is for a good programmer is to actually get a hold of one . Good luck .

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online