SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#375842 - 11/20/13 01:00 PM Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
These Bonner's Music Tyros 5 Demos feature Yamaha's young up and coming Keyboardist Ian House: keys

After hearing these fantastic demos, I can't wait for my Tyros 5 to finally arrive. cool

#375843 - 11/20/13 01:11 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Yeah, those demos should bring in a lot of 20 and 30 somethings.

Scott, nice to see you back, buddy but............Seriously?

chas

#375844 - 11/20/13 01:25 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, 20 and 30 somethings don't have any money. That's why the cruise ships, Vegas, Miami, New Orleans, etc... cater to us old farts. We have the money! Think back when you were 20 to 30 years old, every dime was spent either taking care of a wife and family, making house payments, car payments, buying groceries, and once in a while, when there were a few pennies left over, you the the better half could splurge for dinner and a movie. Why would ANY leisure product manufacturer target an age group that can't afford their product in the first place - don't make any sense at all.

I remember when recreational fishing was considered a poor man's sport, something everyone could do. You could buy a good rod and reel combo for under $40, rent a skiff with an outboard motor for under $15 and spend the day catching fish for dinner. How things have changed. There are rod and reel combos that go for $500 to $1,000, and you can't climb aboard a party boat for under $50 for a half-day of fishing, plus bait costs. The last time I saw rental skiffs with an outboard, a location where when I was in my 30s, cost $12 a day plug gasoline, they had a sign up that said "Weekend Special - Boat, Motor and Gas - $200." And, I just saw a $29,000 outboard motor and that was the sale price. Whoda figured?

I, personally, loved the demos, and they accurately portrayed how incredible the Yamaha guitar sounds are in their latest arranger keyboard. They were awesome!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#375845 - 11/20/13 01:28 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: cgiles]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
[quote=cgiles]Yeah, those demos should bring in a lot of 20 and 30 somethings.

You mean from 20s'or30' last century . laugh

Just kidding.I ordered one today too.And I am not even 40 yet.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#375850 - 11/20/13 01:56 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
rosetree
Unregistered

I'm happy I didn't hear any instrument sample in all these demos which couldn't be produced in the same or, in some cases, better quality by the Roland Integra-7. The quality of the samples is mostly top-grade, but not unique. The romantic strings are still lacking some authenticity, I also know that from the MoXF/Motif ROM sounds, Roland is still better regarding the large strings.
I particularly disliked his version of the ABBA song (3rd video), but that's due to the way he plays it and the style, which sounds too standard and not ABBA-like.

#375854 - 11/20/13 02:27 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Rosetree, please post some examples so we can compare. Same songs, same right-had instruments, etc... I love listening to this stuff.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (11/20/13 02:27 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#375856 - 11/20/13 02:30 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: ]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

I noticed that your a Roland player. You should stick to Roland and let us Yamaha people enjoy our instruments which we all think is much better than Roland. Thanks for your negative coments. Lloyd

#375857 - 11/20/13 02:42 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
TheWolf Offline

Loc: Finland

Hmm. Wouldn't exactly call this "rocking the house". Damn milky licker 18 year old kid? He can't really bring out the full potential of the keyboard. Still, sounds ok. Will be ordering one as soon as it's possible in Finland.

#375860 - 11/20/13 02:57 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Tyrosman5
I noticed that your a Roland player. You should stick to Roland and let us Yamaha people enjoy our instruments which we all think is much better than Roland. Thanks for your negative coments. Lloyd

If you read all about my equipment you would see that I have owned a Yamaha MoX, now MoXF, I have two Roland instruments and also had a Korg M3XP for some time. I have no religious feelings about any manufacturer, but see pros and cons of each of them. But anyway, interesting reaction...

#375863 - 11/20/13 03:11 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Honestly, I had a similar reaction to chas' ... I thought the demos sounded really good, but as I was listening I was thinking "OK, they got a young guy playing, but who is the audience he is playing to?" ...
I would think most AKs are purchased by 'older' players - 40s+, who entertain people who are older than that ... the last times I was on a cruise ship, 2007 and 2009, there were some young entertainers - mostly duos - who were using an AK in their act, but they are playing to an older audience ...
I really don't think the AK manufacturers are targeting the 20 - 30 year old musician, because most of them at that age are looking to play in BANDS with other LIVE musicians ... Think about it - when we 'older' players were in our 20s and 30s, were we looking to play as a solo act??? ... I KNOW I wasn't ... and quite honestly, if I could still be playing with the same four guys I played with for 26 years, I would LOVE it, except I also realize that we probably could not compete most with the music 'studs' of today...

And as for rosetree's comments, he/she is entitled to have an opinion and voice it ...

The T5 sounds very nice and I really like many of the styles I have heard ... but is it the 'end all' and 'do all' for EVERYONE? ... I doubt it ...

#375864 - 11/20/13 03:15 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I hear a lot of potential in those ensemble voices. It also sounds like the bass lines in those styles have been reworked.

Thanks for posting Scotty.

We should play a little game; who can name all the songs that were demoed??

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#375890 - 11/20/13 08:27 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Plug em in through a decent sound system, and wow! The brass ensembles guitars and strings piano styles sounded fab. Welcome back Scotty!

#375891 - 11/20/13 08:53 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Gary I beg to differ from you but the 20 something market is very different than it used to be. Cruise lines, especially Carnival have been catering to a young crowd for years now and very successfully. And those demos I heard, they might have been for 20 somethings 20 or more years ago, but that's not what they are listening to today. That young man played a lot of old farts music IMHO. Oh well, the T5 is still too rich for me and I am very happy with my S 950.

Joe party

#375918 - 11/21/13 07:30 AM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Joe, the only people I know that go on cruises are my age and older. The only cruise ship I get on is the one I own and I'm the only band aboard. wink

Gary cool

#375923 - 11/21/13 08:04 AM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

Hey! No fair. That's a monopoly. smile

#375924 - 11/21/13 08:11 AM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Gary ... sometimes the reason we only know people our age who are doing something is because they are the ones we 'hang out' with ... believe me, on our last two cruises - 2009 and 2011 - there were just as many people in the 30 to 50 bracket as there were older ... and these were on the Norwegian lines which are not known to be 'geared' towards younger people as the Carnival lines and others ...
And while a number of the 'lounge' acts - there are several on board - might have their playlist geared to a 'more mature' audience- playing tunes by Elton John, Billy Joel, blues, etc., the main dance club had a DJ and a live 6-7 piece band playing all the dance hits for that younger crowd ... and the club and dance floor was jammin' every night ...

Editorial note - I think in another post I said our last two cruises were 2007 and 2009, but that was incorrect ... redface

Edited by tony mads usa (11/21/13 08:14 AM)

#375925 - 11/21/13 08:19 AM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
124 Offline

Agree, Tony. We did the Panama Canal earlier this year with Princess and it mirrored your experience.

#375949 - 11/21/13 02:31 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: kbrkr]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: kbrkr

We should play a little game; who can name all the songs that were demoed??

Hi Al, wave
I'm not able to name all of the songs, but below are the one's I do recognize land know.
I hope you and or others here will take the time to share & post the song titles to the ones I missed. Scott smile

Theme for Young Lovers (The Shadows):

Runaway (Del Shannon):

Super Trouper (Abba):

???!:

(Sway (Michael Buble):

Take The A Train (Duke Ellington):

[B]Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me (Duke Ellngton)[B]
[B]Bye Bye Blackbird (Ray Henderson)
:

Games That Lovers Play (James Last):

???!:

???!:

???!:

Ain't Misbehavin'(Fats Waller):

The Verse to: That's All (Alan Brandt and Bob Haymes):

Fanfare For the Common Man (Aaron Copeland):

Rosanna(Toto):

[/quote]

#375955 - 11/21/13 03:09 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
124 Offline

#9. An improv. on Georgia On My Mind followed by a short interlude, then How Deep Is Your Love.
Couldn't pinpoint the others.

#375960 - 11/21/13 03:37 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: 124]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Gary Nice Sail Boat I have a Fishing Boat 23 ft center concel but havent had much time to fish maybe in January or the day after thanksgiving last time I can go till January.

#375972 - 11/21/13 07:13 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: musicforyourday]
tony mads usa Offline

The piano boogie sounds like "Mean Woman Blues" ... of course it could also sound like a lot of other boogie blues songs ... dance
Here is 'Killer's" version ...

#376035 - 11/22/13 09:05 AM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
124 Offline

Yeah! The real deal there, folks.

#376058 - 11/22/13 01:27 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Damed, he's almost as good as DonM.

Gary cool

#376062 - 11/22/13 01:51 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'll bet he's not as good on arranger as I am! Piano is another story, I don't play piano. He sings well, but he isn't nearly as pretty as I am.
DonM

#376071 - 11/22/13 03:01 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Here's another Ian House Tyros5 Demo to add to the above collection:

Wurlitzer Type Organ Sound:

#376175 - 11/23/13 03:27 PM 2 MORE Ian House Tyros 5 Demos (Have a LISTEN) [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Some MORE Ian House Tyros 5 Demos: clap

Classical Organ Demo:

James Bond Demo:

#376179 - 11/23/13 03:48 PM Re: 2 MORE Ian House Tyros 5 Demos (Have a LISTEN) [Re: Scottyee]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Missed the James Bond one; however there is nothing there that can’t be done just as good (Or better) on every other MOTL to TOTL arranger out there

Don’t get me wrong, the T5 is a great instrument, however we were told it would be ground breaking, whereas in the flesh it is not even close.

Bill

#376182 - 11/23/13 04:18 PM Re: 2 MORE Ian House Tyros 5 Demos (Have a LISTEN) [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks for these new demos, Scott.

Yamaha appears to have another winner in the Tyros5. It will be interesting to see if it sells more than the Tyros4, which was very successful; in fact, each new iteration of Tyros allegedly sold in more numbers than the previous model.

The TOTL arranger market, at least for Yamaha (and quite probably for Korg as well), is truly alive and kickin'.

The Tyros5's sounds and styles are first-rate, and the Classical Organ is very rich and expressive.

Ian House is one fine demonstrator indeed.

Ian

#376185 - 11/23/13 04:31 PM Re: 2 MORE Ian House Tyros 5 Demos (Have a LISTEN) [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Neat stuff, Scott. Thanks for the links - I love listening to this stuff.

Gary cool

#376199 - 11/23/13 05:12 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: rosetree
Originally Posted By: Tyrosman5

If you read all about my equipment you would see that I have owned a Yamaha MoX, now MoXF, I have two Roland instruments and also had a Korg M3XP for some time. I have no religious feelings about any manufacturer, but see pros and cons of each of them. But anyway, interesting reaction...

Actually, fairly typical reaction...

#376201 - 11/23/13 05:34 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Just how old do you have to be to have big band music as a primary influence? Let's take a look... The last big band music that made any impact on our charts (apart from the odd novelty hit) would have been in the 50's. To actually be old enough to go out and listen to it much (and enjoy dancing with the ladies!) you would have had to be in your early twenties, probably. So...

Born in the 30's, maybe 40's. How old does that make them now? 70's to 80's.

I'm just not sure that steering a buying decision about a musical instrument by how well it plays music that 70 and 80+ year old people like is that smart a decision..!

TBH, even the fixation with the Shadows type guitar sounds is for the elderly, primarily. If you are in your 40's and 50's, what generation of music did you grow up with (and what your general audience listened to when THEY were growing up)? I would probably be correct in saying, for this forum, the seventies. Not even a TRACE of bigband then! Maybe some sixties, but I bet it was more rock and roll, and the Beatles, than it was with Ray Conniff!

If Yamaha continue to promote high end arrangers as toys for the elderly, how long is it going to be before they lose ALL relevance for the young? TBH, already have, IMO.

Now, don't get me wrong... I think that there's much about the TOTL Yamaha thoat could do superb modern music, or even music from the 70's and 80's. I can only imagine some EWF or BST, Chicago etc., using those ensemble horns... Fantastic! But what do we get, from a YOUNG performer at that? Take the A Train? What?!

All I can do is point out what happened to the 'home organ'... gradually, they became more and more expensive, and less and less relevant to young players, and now they are as dead as the dodo. I see the exact same path being taken by Yamaha. Sure, short term, you might keep going. But those 70 and 80 year old buyers won't be above ground that long...

Time for the arranger industry to cut them loose, and go after the generation that will see them through the next 30 years or more. And you aren't going to bring them out in droves playing that old folk's home stuff!

#376206 - 11/23/13 06:01 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

over 50 is considered elderly now or didnt you know that .....?

#376210 - 11/23/13 06:11 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

I am, I do... LOL

But let's face it... Born in the mid 50's, probably YOUR musical influences (not your parents' or grandparents' records) started in the mid-60's. And were heaviest in the 70's.

If you want to sell arrangers to the CURRENT crop of the 'elderly' (as we like to call ourselves!), time to stop showing them off with 30's, 40's, and 50's music. And maybe play something from OUR youth, not our grandparents' youth!

#376217 - 11/23/13 06:23 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
I am, I do... LOL

But let's face it... Born in the mid 50's, probably YOUR musical influences (not your parents' or grandparents' records) started in the mid-60's. And were heaviest in the 70's.

If you want to sell arrangers to the CURRENT crop of the 'elderly' (as we like to call ourselves!), time to stop showing them off with 30's, 40's, and 50's music. And maybe play something from OUR youth, not our grandparents' youth!

only way thats gonna happen is when were dead and gone id say about 40/50 years hang in there...meanwhile play a nice waltz..lol

#376222 - 11/23/13 07:25 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

I played and sang Annie's Song today at a retirement community when someone requested a waltz. There were a dozen extremely attractive young college girls there who were volunteering to serve snack and beverages to the residents during the performance, and dance with some of the residents. They absolutely loved the song and thought it was something brand new. Those girls ranged 22 to 26 years of age, knew a lot of the songs I performed and sang right along with me. I was really impressed with their musical knowledge. And, when I performed Hot Hot Hot, they formed a monster conga line with the residents - WOW! I love my job, but most of all, I love my audiences.

Gary cool

#376276 - 11/24/13 11:07 AM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: travlin'easy]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
organ

That Classical Organ Demo rocked! Loved the sound of those BIG pipes!! Better watch the volume on that voice.........Bet it could bring the roof down!!

I'm getting more impatient waiting for my Tyros 5. These vids are just fueling my............ -charley

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online