SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#375424 - 11/16/13 08:01 AM Re: No more Voice Creator on Tyros5!!! [Re: mrdave]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
That sounds good. Are you satisfied with the range of settings that you can alter?

#375425 - 11/16/13 08:45 AM Re: No more Voice Creator on Tyros5!!! [Re: mrdave]
jwyvern Offline

Gary, Voice Creator in the context of Tyros is completely different from Voice Set. It includes PC software for editing voices at element level and features onboard Tyros for importing new wave files and building voices with them. Whether the latter aspect will continue to be on board with Tyros5 (as opposed to being in software) remains to be seen.
The MOTL PSR's would not to my knowledge ever have had this Voice Creator.
John

#375426 - 11/16/13 09:08 AM Re: No more Voice Creator on Tyros5!!! [Re: Hal2001]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Hal2001
That sounds good. Are you satisfied with the range of settings that you can alter?

As John has said above, Hal, Voice Creator and Voice Set are two different birds.

However, I personally have never used Voice Creator, and have relied on Voice Set for any edits I needed.

Most times, you only need to change attack time, release time, decay, Filter (Harmonics), Brightness, and Voice Set does that admirably.

The Tyros4 also came with a Voice Editing CD ROM, but I have yet to use it. It enables you to edit the Tyros4 Voices on your computer and create your original sounds.

I didn't see this CD ROM in Tyros5's specs, but maybe it has yet to be finished?

That is not to say Voice Creator isn't important, as it is a must have for some users, but, since I'm more of a switch on and play (with a fair bit of style editing) kind of player, it has never been needed.

Ian

#375432 - 11/16/13 10:00 AM Re: No more Voice Creator on Tyros5!!! [Re: ianmcnll]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Thank you Ian for clarifying as I'm not yet familiar with the Tyros system. I'll keep my fingers crossed that a pc editor will be made available, even if after the KB comes out. However, in my case it's not a deal breaker because the available T5(and T4)sounds I heard are already a major reason why I chose to order it as is as an entry into Yamaha sounds. So, if I take these sounds that I already like and just tweak them on the most typical parameters via the onboard settings, I'm sure I can find a good sound palette for my needs. On the hand, if this is a player's only keyboard and they want to do deep sound design, I understand how the lack of a pc editor could be an issue.

#375442 - 11/16/13 01:24 PM Re: No more Voice Creator on Tyros5!!! [Re: mrdave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The voice set, when used in conjunction with the mixing console, can do everything the onboard Voice Creator program of the past did, and then some.

Lets be realistic. Only a tiny fraction of arranger keyboard users would ever take the time to delve into Voice Creator and create their own, custom voices. In fact, I only know of one user other than myself on two forums that has actually done this.

That said, it's a great feature, and I'm amazed that so few individuals have actually taken the time to modify/create their own, custom voices. Doing so can make a huge difference in the way right-hand leads are played and sound.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#375444 - 11/16/13 01:31 PM Re: No more Voice Creator on Tyros5!!! [Re: mrdave]
Dnj Offline

Has Yamaha ever produced an instructional video DVD on using
"Voice Creator" Beginner or Advanced? It would surly get players involved and teach them how to use the feature effectively in their music don't you think? confused1

Edited by Dnj (11/16/13 01:32 PM)

#375445 - 11/16/13 01:54 PM Re: No more Voice Creator on Tyros5!!! [Re: mrdave]
travlin'easy Offline

Not that I know of Donny, but if I recall correctly, there are lessons on the PSR-Tutorial site that provide step by step instructions. Additionally, if you access the online reference manual, the very first chapter provides a wealth of information on adjusting and saving voices. Reference Manual S-950

Gary cool

#375447 - 11/16/13 03:15 PM Re: No more Voice Creator on Tyros5!!! [Re: travlin'easy]
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Gary,

With all due respect (and I mean that), you do not understand the power of the Tyros series over the PSR series. Voice Creator is the main feature that I and many others (not to mention the entire Asian, Arabic, African, Western European markets and every ethnic musician) relies on.

If you do not use Voice Creator (which IS NOT Voice Set), than I really can't think of ANY reason ANY person would spend the extra few thousand dollars when they could get an S950 that does almost everything else the Tyros can do.

There are limitless capabilities that people such as myself have been doing since the Tyros 2 - that are no longer possible on the actual keyboard in the Tyros 5. We're talking custom voices, Audio multipads (Yes, I've been using hundreds of Audio Multipads all the way since the T2), DJ loops, custom drum kits, and more.

Really, the people who are defending Yamaha on this think that everybody uses the Tyros as plug and play. If you want plug and play you don't need more than the S950.

Please don't make blanket statements that "The Voice Set when used in conjunction with the mixing console, can do everything the onboard Voice Creator program of the past did, and then some" which is utter Bullshit. Utter. Bull. Shit. They have NOTHING in common!! (People, that was a word for word quote!) And that only one other person besides yourself uses it, which again is more of the same. Anybody who does anything other than USA or Western music is heavily using the Voice Creator function.

I really feel that anybody who spreads falsehoods (even inadvertently such as yourself), is harming the wider community, because Yamaha has the habit of denying problems exist. When I reported the 4 bugs in the Tyros 4, Yamaha consistently denied they were problems until my YouTube videos about them got over 100,000 (!!) hits. And then suddenly - after months of denials - they called me for more info and released two updates to fix them.

Let's not let that happen again.

Edited by chony (11/16/13 03:24 PM)

#375449 - 11/16/13 03:28 PM Re: No more Voice Creator on Tyros5!!! [Re: mrdave]
travlin'easy Offline

Chony, I've never used the Voice Creator on any keyboard other than the PSR series. And, while I have played many ethnic songs, I've never felt the need to create ethnic voices other than make modifications to those that came with the keyboard. I realize that you travel the country doing ethnic events, and for someone in your shoes, it may be somewhat of a necessity, but for the vast majority of performers, that's obviously not the case. So, for the most part, the onboard voice settings program in conjunction with the Mixing Console seems to be more than adequate. And yes, the S-950 is all that I, personally, really need for my performances.

Hopefully, for those individuals in your situation, Yamaha provides a great software alternative that will suit your needs.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (11/16/13 03:29 PM)

#375455 - 11/16/13 04:48 PM Re: No more Voice Creator on Tyros5!!! [Re: mrdave]
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Thanks Gary,

You're probably not aware of now the Tyros is used outside of the western world. Put it this way: until Yamaha released the Chinese, Balkan, Latin, Turkish and middle eastern packs, do you think musicians of that genre hadnt found solutions? Trust me they did, and better ones than Yamaha itself. The Yamaha expansion packs don't come close to my Jewish and middle eastern collections.

When you say most people don't use the voice creator, you need to know there is an entire world that exists outside if the USA and Wesfern Europe of talented and professional artists who do things with their keyboards that would blow the minds of "plug and play" users.

I hope to post some demonstration videos to help people understand that.

Edited by chony (11/16/13 04:49 PM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online