SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#373394 - 10/23/13 07:51 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: brickboo]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
Man there's no way I can improve with any keyboard!! Everyone loves my vocals and choice of tunes everywhere I play. To them the keyboard is just something I carry around to impress them, and nothing, I mean nothing is easier to sequence a tune with as my i30 other then Band In A Box for playing a song with my sax. I can do them in 5 minutes with Band In A Box. The folks are just looking at me and listening to all the licks I'm playing on the sax. They don't even know that the keyboard is playing along with me.

Really, how many people you know do "My Romance" "My One And Only Love" "Darn That Dream" "Harlem Nocturn" Night Train" and such with all of the correct chords, licks and turnarounds. Com on now be honest. I'll never need a new keyboard until my old iron horse dinosaur dies. "Think I'd Better Knock On Wood."

True Boo, but most of the people who did those songs are did, as are most of the people who would pay to hear them! smile

But, since you ask, Russ could nail every one of them, on guitar, keyboard vocals, and probably several other instruments!
DonM

#373397 - 10/24/13 01:40 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: ianmcnll]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
brickboo. Re BIAB have the option of Solo Improver. works a treat around the melody.

Best wishes from UK

#373399 - 10/24/13 02:08 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

I'm Glad I got my flu shot last week most places won't let you play without proof of getting it.

#373419 - 10/24/13 09:53 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
"My one and only Love"...when I play that, I think it can't get any better!

Great taste, Boo!

Russ

#373461 - 10/24/13 06:34 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: captain Russ]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
"My one and only Love"...when I play that, I think it can't get any better!

Great taste, Boo!

Russ, Have you heard it this way before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRh7M9zQiIc

Doris Day "My Romance" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6X3j8VAK2A

Coltrane, Curtis Fuller trombone, Lee Morgan trumpet. It doesn't get any better than this Russ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDUaJSZd_g

#373463 - 10/24/13 06:41 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Call me crazy, but I never likes Coltrane on ballads. I much prefer the sensuous, sultry sound of Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan, Phil Woods and the like - I respect Trane for his creativity, but never liked his tone. I keep trying to like him ... just can't seem to come around to his style and sound.

#373495 - 10/25/13 09:13 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

One of my favorite jazz guys is Al Jarreau

Edited by Dnj (10/25/13 09:19 AM)

#373498 - 10/25/13 09:19 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: Uncle Dave]
captain Russ Offline

Trane IS American jazz at it's finest; unfortunately, also representing the tragic lifestyle some of the greats lived.

I agree with Dave, his tone on some ballads is not my favorite, but, overall, he is, unquestionably one, if not THE one best Jazz saxophone player...EVER!

Thanks, Boo!

R.

#373503 - 10/25/13 09:49 AM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

Donny, met and played with Al in Cedar Rapids; where he lived before hitting it big. He WAS big at the time in the small jazz club there. He was finishing graduate school in Psychology, I think. His dad was the janitor at the Square D factory I worked at every other week.

George Benson worked the same NAMM shows in the early 70's as factory demo dudes. He and I traded licks one session. He ate my lunch!

He got it right. After great success with a limited audience (hardline instrumental jazz....500,000 sales per album), He hit it big with "Breezin"...13 million sales and a much wider audience base. The hardliners criticized him, and he, justifiably just laughed!

I can't think of anyone more deserving!

Russ

#373542 - 10/25/13 08:34 PM Re: The new Flu about to Hit [Re: musicforyourday]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Russ I understand the guys here who do just POP, COUNTRY, ROCK,
Rap, Rock & ROLL commenting that they don't like Coltrane's sound on ballads. Really not all of them but most rarely appreciate anything with more than 4 chords no matter how it sounds. But Russ You're going to tell me you don't like this sound? You're just kidding right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25D7OalSHNs
What about these two?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOcHw1UW4E&list=PLCAD4D2AED40D9304

v=Mmrpb8aQFQY&list=PLCAD4D2AED40D9304

Edited by brickboo (10/25/13 08:39 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online