SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#370313 - 08/12/13 08:28 AM Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Any player using the new type Soundbar plus Sub-Bass as a Home keyboard Speaker system.
These are made for TV but sound very acceptable connected to the keyboard at least as good as the standard Yamaha Sats plus Bass.

#370329 - 08/12/13 12:48 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Sorry, not using one but I like the idea, visually unobtrusive but has some depth.

I researched budget soundbars when my aging 5.1 home cinema system broke, but thanks to a post I found on the internet I fixed the system instead. Philips do one at about £100 that looked like it could do a reasonable job and it has good connectivity; note that some soundbars only accept digital inputs on optical or coax. Yamaha, LG, Sharp and others do some good ones, as ever you can pick any price you like and someone will hit that price point. Richer sounds have a selection at good prices.

#370356 - 08/13/13 07:18 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: MacAllcock]
Graham UK Offline

MacAllcock. Thank you for feedback. If I get one I will report.
Twinset. Tyros 2 plus NP30 as lower.

Graham UK

#370360 - 08/13/13 07:48 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
billyhank Offline

Graham,

I may have answered this one on another forum for you, but a bunch of arranger players used the Logitech Z5500 a few years back and it was intended for home entertainment centers and I still use mine on occasion. I think these new sound bars fall into the same category.

I hope one day these keyboard might include Bluetooth capability for transmission to Bluetooth capable speakers. No cables!

Bill G

#370363 - 08/13/13 08:32 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Z5500 does sound great, but is really overkill for home use. The Z2200, 2300, and whatever replace that is more in line with the sound bars. I've had a 2200 in my office and a 5500 for living room theater sound for years now and they both work great.
I finally sold the 2200 I kept for small jobs and backup after I got the HK earlier this year.
The sound bars remind me, in looks only, of the optional speakers system for PA3x.
DonM

#370369 - 08/13/13 10:49 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
Beakybird Offline

I use the Logitech Z-2300 speakers with my Casio PX-350 digital piano.

It sounds great, but when comparing it to a real grand piano - some of the midrange just isn't quite there. Also, I just don't get that vibration all around. It sounds like a a piano on a stereo, but it lacks the intimacy of a real piano experience.

I'm wondering if there's anything better that's not too expensive that would really swallow me up in the sound.

#370375 - 08/13/13 12:43 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
DonM Offline

You might want to check out the HK Nano. It's more expensive than the Logitech of course, but not as expensive as a couple of "Bosi".
DonM

#370380 - 08/13/13 01:40 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Still would be fascinated by a mono Compact/stereo Nano shootout. Crank it to the max, who farts out first?

#370383 - 08/13/13 01:48 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
DonM Offline

I haven't set them up together, but come on up here and we'll do it! Either or both are great for my piddly little jobs!
I must admit I don't use just one Compact. I always take two. Love to hear that stereo and I always have a backup on hand!
DonM

#370384 - 08/13/13 02:04 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
DNJ demonstrated his new sound system...I just ordered one myself this afternoon...it will eliminate the need to carry a Bose compact....

Attachments
$T2eC16dHJH!FFl4wy-U(BSB!)QQGMg~~60_1.JPG

Edited by Fran Carango (08/13/13 02:19 PM)

#370387 - 08/13/13 03:24 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
DNJ demonstrated his new sound system...I just ordered one myself this afternoon...it will eliminate the need to carry a Bose compact....

I love this little thing sounds great with my phone amazing!! headphone

#370399 - 08/13/13 10:05 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I had the Nano and the Compact at the same time, and found the bass to be better in the Nano, the clarity better in the Bose, and overall coverage went to the Bose as well. Never pushed to "fart level" cuz I wouldn't want either one that loud. I have a stereo 2500 watt QSC tri-amp system for that stuff.
At low levels, the Nano gave a nice separation, but in a medium room, the drop-off was severe. It did not compete in the same league for me. Small room ... It's great, but it just doesn't have that coverage.

#370404 - 08/13/13 11:59 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
DonM Offline

That's what I'm thinking too. I haven't used the Nano except at home, and it sounds great there. I would not expect it to have the coverage of the Bose. I would think up to 40 or 50 people the HK would be just fine.
DonM

#370421 - 08/14/13 09:42 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
Diki Offline

Thing is, get booked for 40 people, turn up and find 150... which system do you wish you'd brought?

For me, what they sound like when pushed to the max is paramount. Some things that sound amazing at moderate volumes sound like ass when pushed hard, and some things sound average at moderate volumes, but behave well flat out.

I must admit, I'm looking hard at the Nano's. $700 for a stereo Nano system, vs. $2000 for a stereo Bose Compact system. Hardly seems fair, does it?!

#370428 - 08/14/13 11:06 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Thing is, get booked for 40 people, turn up and find 150... which system do you wish you'd brought?

For me, what they sound like when pushed to the max is paramount. Some things that sound amazing at moderate volumes sound like ass when pushed hard, and some things sound average at moderate volumes, but behave well flat out.

I must admit, I'm looking hard at the Nano's. $700 for a stereo Nano system, vs. $2000 for a stereo Bose Compact system. Hardly seems fair, does it?!

My NANOs in stereo on stage,..worked really well for a while ......,
but now I'm loving my New Yamaha DXR speakers...wow!
headphone keys headphone

Attachments
dp nano.jpg

dp DXR & S950.jpg

#370430 - 08/14/13 11:17 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Diki]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

I don't know about anyone else here, but in more than a half-century of performances, often 5 to 7 days a week, I've never experienced a situation where there was a 400-percent, unexpected, increase in the audience size. Maybe I just lead a sheltered life! wink

Fortunately, I've never had to push a sound system to the Max - never had the necessity at any time. Maybe it's because I always used a system that would handle the largest audiences I ever played for, therefore, I was always able to utilize the system's most efficient levels, which on most systems I've owned, is 1/2 to 2/3 of max.

I must admit, I'm looking hard at the Nano's. $700 for a stereo Nano system, vs. $2000 for a stereo Bose Compact system. Hardly seems fair, does it?! [/i]

[i]I guess it all depends upon what type of sound quality you're looking for, and of course, the most efficient application for that particular sound system.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (08/14/13 11:20 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#370442 - 08/14/13 07:08 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
Diki Offline

So you were using a double Nano system, Donny? Still not as much as two Compacts, mind you, but I was kind of wondering what kind of impact you got from just ONE, in stereo..?

I'm using a couple of Mackie SRM150's for monitoring keys in a band, but wonder if one of these would do both that AND doubling as small gig PA. The Mackies don't cut it by themselves. Band can get fairly frisky at times! I need something small that can keep up...

#370443 - 08/14/13 07:52 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: DonM]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: DonM
You might want to check out the HK Nano. It's more expensive than the Logitech of course, but not as expensive as a couple of "Bosi".
DonM

Also don't rule out the Maui LD128 (half the price of a Bose) smile

#370447 - 08/14/13 10:20 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
DonM Offline

Diki,
I think you would like the HK a lot for both situations. They sound good in either configuration and are light in weight and easy to transport and set up.
I am looking for a situation where I might prefer them to the two Compacts though, but haven't found it yet.
DonM

#370450 - 08/15/13 07:00 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
Dnj Offline

Diki.....the HK is one of those in between PA systems..it's like a Swiss ARMY Knife....different configurations to handle the odd small situations rooms can be had with no problem..in stereo or mono that alone gives it the nod for me over a single Bose Compact plus its no slouch in the sound department. For what your explaining regarding your needs the HK would be a good choice for sure. For me I needed to go from very small to VERY LARGE venues all the time so I needed a bit more and the Yamaha DXR 12"s fit the bill nicely for me at this time.

#370455 - 08/15/13 08:17 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

My NANOs in stereo on stage,..worked really well for a while ......,
but now I'm loving my New Yamaha DXR speakers...wow!
headphone keys headphone

DNJ trademark....bottle of water and a fan... smile

#370456 - 08/15/13 08:20 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Originally Posted By: Dnj
[quote=Diki]

DNJ trademark....bottle of water and a fan... smile

lol......I Don't leave home without it,..ALWAYS!

#370460 - 08/15/13 09:39 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
travlin'easy Offline

Can't argue with success! smile The very first thing I ALWAYS set up is the fan - even in the dead of winter.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#370467 - 08/15/13 10:43 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Can't argue with success! smile The very first thing I ALWAYS set up is the fan - even in the dead of winter.

Cheers,

Gary cool

To cool off those Barbettas grin

#370469 - 08/15/13 11:02 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
travlin'easy Offline

Wow! I remember that. When I first met Donny I installed cooling fans in his Barbettas. He had a pair of the earlier ones that didn't have the fans and when used in warm locations the thermal cutoff would shut them down. I purchased a pair a year after Donny bought his and they had 60-mm fans installed that kept them cool.

Sure seems like a long time ago when Fran had to hold the fan on the back of the speakers so Donny could finish his job.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#370471 - 08/15/13 11:58 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
miden Offline

This is way too funny - fans!!!! S@#t what the hell do you guys need fans for?

You should see a Doc for your health if you need a fan for the work you do....wouldn't raise a sweat on a gnat!! Now if you were a drummer or some other performer who was very active, it would make a bit more sense, but puhleeeaase....arranger players in small rooms and nursing homes? Or ridiculously placed on a high stage (the photo on this thread - which looks just so naff) with no lights....give me strength!

#370474 - 08/15/13 01:35 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Wow! I remember that. When I first met Donny I installed cooling fans in his Barbettas. He had a pair of the earlier ones that didn't have the fans and when used in warm locations the thermal cutoff would shut them down. I purchased a pair a year after Donny bought his and they had 60-mm fans installed that kept them cool.

Sure seems like a long time ago when Fran had to hold the fan on the back of the speakers so Donny could finish his job.

Cheers,
Gary cool

Gary...I remember that gig and the Barbettas & G1000 very well surprised ...it was upwards of 100 degrees outside and with 350 people dancing the room was hot... first one side shut off then 10 min later the other side....Fran stood behind the Barbettas and held a fan against it to keep one of the heat sinks on back cool enough to keep the show going.......as for me every night I will not perform anywhere with out a fan in my face..inner energy extruded as you perform will make you sweat, not to mention the overhead stage spotlights beaming down on you all night too...... keys

Attachments
dpg1000.jpg

Edited by Dnj (08/15/13 01:43 PM)

#370476 - 08/15/13 02:06 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
travlin'easy Offline

Dennis,

How many of these places do you perform at? Both Donny and I, and several other forum members do two and sometimes three jobs a day, which amounts to a lot of loading, unloading, setting up, and tearing down gear. Today, the weather is great outdoors, only 82 degrees and the humidity is down to about 40 percent. Two weeks ago it was 100 degrees and 100-percent humidity - just like working in a sauna. We've all done what you consider hard work as a band member - all of us. I only wish we had the small, compact, quiet, high-volume fans back then that we have now. So, gimme a break! The seniors in this forum that do these NH jobs every day of the week, summer and winter, are a lot smarter than you, obviously, give us credit for being. So, while you're hammering on those drums and sweating your balls off, think about how us old codgers are sitting there behind our arranger keyboards with the cooling breezes of that tiny fan flowing over our aging bodies. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

#370482 - 08/15/13 05:06 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
Uncle Dave Offline

heh heh ... balls
smile

#370483 - 08/15/13 05:10 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
DonM Offline

This should cool you down.
What's the difference between a snow man and a snow woman?
Snowballs.
:}
DonM

#370485 - 08/15/13 06:20 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
miden Offline

Hey Gary, I guess it's a throwback to all my days playing in rock bands.

We never felt like we had REALLY done a gig unless we were stuffed (Oz for tired - I can't say buggered in the US wink ) and sweating heaps.

I play gigs now in summer out here, and the rooms are like 40+ degrees (approx 110 in your money) with no fan...different strokes I guess. I just love the feeling as it usually means I have done a good show. Although these days as a solo it is very rare to get anywhere near that energy level smile

You old blokes sheesh.... smirk

Although............I do think Dave has probs the ONLY reason one would use a fan...especially with all those temptations you guys must be faced with at all the NHs

D

#370486 - 08/15/13 07:00 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

... I TOLD him it was too hot to play outside ...

Attachments
snowdeath.jpg

#370487 - 08/15/13 07:03 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: miden]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
Although............I do think Dave has probs the ONLY reason one would use a fan...

HEY! How come "I" need the fan?
Am I tool old and fat, or sumthin?
smile

#370489 - 08/15/13 07:16 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
miden Offline

Nah m8, - "balls" wink

D

#370491 - 08/15/13 08:33 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
This should cool you down.
What's the difference between a snow man and a snow woman?
Snowballs.
:}
DonM

bounce

#370492 - 08/15/13 08:35 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
BTW ... HIJACK !!!

#370494 - 08/15/13 08:53 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
miden Offline

yeah I say hi too wave ...and how is he going these days?

#370510 - 08/16/13 05:19 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Fran Carango]
Graham UK Offline

Relating to Soundbars and reading all the reviews, the LG NB4530A appears to be the one I wiil go for..UK Price £289.99
Should be good also for Keyboard Home use.
If I purchase I will supply a report.

#370511 - 08/16/13 05:24 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
Dnj Offline

#370525 - 08/16/13 12:31 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
Diki Offline

I'm not sure spraying water over you and your rig while powered up is such a good idea, Donny!

I've played some places that have got these mister systems, and water on the gear can be quite a problem.

#370531 - 08/16/13 12:46 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
Uncle Dave Offline

There was a huge leak last week during a heavy rain at the Jersey Shore - hey Fran, did anyone tell you that they had to move our gear out of the way and put buckets on stage to catch the drips? The leak was just to the side of Stu's mixer table - it was dripping right on my guitar amp! Grrrrr .. no damage, and they did move it for me, but geeze .....
smile

#370571 - 08/17/13 11:54 AM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: Graham UK]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I investigated the LG, it was a bit wide for my TV (a mere 32" screen). Some good reviews out there.

#429093 - 02/20/17 02:07 PM Re: Soundbar Speaker System Anyone Using ? [Re: MacAllcock]
Torch Offline

This is one old, but a good thread that turned up in my search. So anyone using a soundbar? I'd think that any of these systems would be for a small to medium size room.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online