SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#369372 - 07/20/13 04:17 PM OT---- but curious ?????
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Windows 8 interface has disappointed me so much that I abandoned the PC world and went Mac....

Is there anyone else ?

Edited by rphillipchuk (07/20/13 04:20 PM)

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#369373 - 07/20/13 07:25 PM Re: OT---- but curious ????? [Re: rphillipchuk]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Been Mac since I dumped my Atari..!

Welcome to the world of worry free computing.

#369376 - 07/20/13 09:01 PM Re: OT---- but curious ????? [Re: rphillipchuk]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yep no worries here either - W8 on a PC cool2

#369381 - 07/21/13 12:35 AM Re: OT---- but curious ????? [Re: rphillipchuk]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
recent Mac convert but there are certain things that Windows still can do that Mac can't ( One of the Eg, Playing multiple FLV s at the same time,easy down load/convert- newest ware etc).

But Mac is for musicians, period.Safe/Worry free/fast response and second to none hardware.More solid computer with good resale value.

You just need a cheap Windows machine ( $300 new windows laptop will do) for doing certain things or Run Windows on Mac.

Edited by jamman (07/21/13 12:39 AM)

#369383 - 07/21/13 01:31 AM Re: OT---- but curious ????? [Re: rphillipchuk]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: rphillipchuk
Windows 8 interface has disappointed me so much that I abandoned the PC world and went Mac....

Is there anyone else ?

Rather drastic and expensive when you could have loaded this free tool http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php which would have given you everything you were used to with Windows XP, Vista (Yuk) or Windows 7, combined with the advantages of what Windows 8 offers if you did decide to eventually use it.

BTW: Information coming out of the Apple is that Apple is to start moving to an iPad style system for their MAC computers, so you will end up with a similar interface to Windows 8, (Primarily designed for touch screen interfaces) in the future anyway.

Bill

#369384 - 07/21/13 01:54 AM Re: OT---- but curious ????? [Re: rphillipchuk]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
A couple of things you should be aware of with a MAC.

1. MACs get infected more than PCs with Viruses, Malware etc. however because they are not designed to run on MACs the MAC user will not know they are there, however they can be transferred to other computers, so make sure you tell all your friends who use Windows to set up a separate folder to accept emails from you, and to thoroughly scan them before opening them. (Most MAC users don’t have Anti-Virus software so they will not know they are sending you an infected file)

2. When you need to upgrade its expensive with a MAC, also support is not just around the corner. (In spite of what MAC users say, they do fall over from time to time (Ask anyone that works in the industry) and are not immune to problems, but fortunately their users are careful what they load on their machines, (Always a good thing) whereas Windows users tend to load anything and everything thus increasing the possibility of a problem)

I am quite certain you will have an excellent experience with your MAC as they are excellent machines, just try not to fall for the Apple encouraged hysteria.

Bill

#369389 - 07/21/13 06:33 AM Re: OT---- but curious ????? [Re: abacus]
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: abacus
Originally Posted By: rphillipchuk

Is there anyone else ?

Rather drastic and expensive when you could have loaded this free tool http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php which would have given you everything you were used to with Windows XP, Vista (Yuk) or Windows 7, combined with the advantages of what Windows 8 offers if you did decide to eventually use it.

BTW: Information coming out of the Apple is that Apple is to start moving to an iPad style system for their MAC computers, so you will end up with a similar interface to Windows 8, (Primarily designed for touch screen interfaces) in the future anyway.

Bill

Hi Bill
I was just upset that I had to re-learn an operating system that I have been using since Win95.....Call it old age maybe :-) I installed Win8 on my wife's laptop and when it was complete, I was totally lost. I had to go to you tube to find out how to do 99.9% of what ever I was trying to do.

I know about the free tool but I am too stubborn to use it. Maybe Win8 was too drastic of a change for me..

I have now a MacBook Air ( 256 Gig SSD HD) and it is incredibly fast. The learning curve was very minimal and so far I am very happy with it. The only weakness for me , is finding a decent newsreader ( I use the "news Groups" extensively for all my resources )

I am not saying that Mac's are better then PC'S...They both have their strengths and weaknesses ...In this moment, I am quite happy with the mac.

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#369438 - 07/22/13 11:42 AM Re: OT---- but curious ????? [Re: rphillipchuk]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's not my problem to scan for PC viruses on a Mac. If they get forwarded, anyone with a PC should have ALL their incoming email scanned (can't think of any reason why anyone with a PC would even CARE what platform the email comes from, ALL email should be scanned).

I've been on broadband ever since it first came out, with no virus protection software, still don't have or need any (OSX firewalls the OS automatically) and have NEVER got any malware, ever.

All my Macs have ever done is work... tirelessly, problem free. After all, I'm a musician, not a computer geek. I don't want to waste ANY time dealing with the tool... I just want it to do the job I bought it for. Making music!

Oh, and talking to you guys!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online