SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#368880 - 07/10/13 11:58 AM Need recommendation for a software sound module
oleg7 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I am looking to replace the sounds in a hardware arranger by connecting it to my Macbook. At the moment I have PSR3000 but will upgrade it in the near future to something newer. My question is generic as far as which arranger keyboard is being used and if the software sound module requires any specific MIDI implementation that my keyboard does not have then I am willing to upgrade accordingly.

The most important feature for me would be to setup the software module to respond to program changes and load sounds on any channel automatically (based on what arranger keyboard is doing) and without delay. I do not mind a long boot up time (e.g. to load all sounds into computer memory) but then I am expecting not having to interact with the software and just let it run in the background (while I am playing the arranger with local sounds off). Cost is not a factor, just the sound quality and ability to do what I need.

I have not researched this type of software for a few years now and I am hoping to learn from the latest software users on this forum.

Any suggestions and software comparisons are appreciated.

Thanks.

#375598 - 11/17/13 09:08 PM Re: Need recommendation for a software sound module [Re: oleg7]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Hi Oleg7,

Sorry for this late reply as I saw your post only now. You could consider vArranger which is a software arranger(www.varranger.fr) It was initially developed for use with Ketron`s SD2 and SD4 hardware modules but now it supports a lot of other hardware modules and it also has its own softsynth built into the application. Morever Dan`s support is excellent. You could check out the vArranger forums, post your inquiry and you will be in a better position to decide. And what`s more it can support multiple hardware modules and you could even MIDI the output to a vsti(using virtual MIDI ports) for even more flexibility.

Regards,
Jez

#375607 - 11/18/13 03:20 AM Re: Need recommendation for a software sound module [Re: oleg7]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Unfortunately as far as I am aware vArranger is for PC only so would not be suitable for the OP.

Your best bet is Ableton for live play or Cubase or Logic for a studio base all of which can host VST Plug-Ins.

You will also need an arranger with good Midi Control facilities which in order of sophistication are: Bohm, Wersi (OAS 5 and above), Korg, Roland & Yamaha. (Not sure about Ketron)

In addition depending on what you want to do, a good Midi controller keyboard can be used instead.

Hope this helps

Bill

#375608 - 11/18/13 03:24 AM Re: Need recommendation for a software sound module [Re: oleg7]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The Arranger list is Best to worst for Midi control.

For some reason the edit button has disappeared, so I couldn't alter my original post.

Bill

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online