SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#368802 - 07/09/13 06:55 AM Re: Crown CM311 Mic on Stupid Deal/Musiciansfriend [Re: Diki]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
You have to have quite a good compressor to be able to use your full voice range if the mike is planted an inch away from your mouth. Sure, you can learn to restrict what you can, and control it yourself. But you aren't using your FULL voice if you do. It's like deciding to never play ff or pp, and just play mp to mf. You COULD do it, but why would you WANT to? LOL

So, Diki, are You saying Garth Broods, Nugent, Madonna, Sher, Jimmy Buffett, and a huge number of other top performers don't use their full vocal voices? Gee, I wonder why they're so popular, then? confused1

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#368804 - 07/09/13 08:03 AM Re: Crown CM311 Mic on Stupid Deal/Musiciansfriend [Re: travlin'easy]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

So, Diki, are You saying Garth Broods, Nugent, Madonna, Sher, Jimmy Buffett, and a huge number of other top performers don't use their full vocal voices? Gee, I wonder why they're so popular, then? confused1

That's a pretty good touche. I found my vocal technique changed for the better when I started using the headset. On the other hand, I have seen some great singers whose voices I would die for bring their hand held mic back for those high notes.

I guess the headset isn't for everyone, but given all of the buttons, keys, and knobs that us arranger keyboardists have to deal with, it does offer the distinct advantage (or crutch) of always being by your mouth.

#368805 - 07/09/13 08:18 AM Re: Crown CM311 Mic on Stupid Deal/Musiciansfriend [Re: Beakybird]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well there may be a thousand who use conventional mics for every one who uses a head set. And the stars DO have super high-end gear tailored for their needs, and sound people riding the controls if necessary.
Can you imagine Elvis with a headset? smile
However, as always, use the gear that best suits your own needs!
DonM

#368806 - 07/09/13 08:53 AM Re: Crown CM311 Mic on Stupid Deal/Musiciansfriend [Re: Beakybird]
travlin'easy Offline

Did they have headset mics when Elvis was alive? wink

Gary cool

#368807 - 07/09/13 09:01 AM Re: Crown CM311 Mic on Stupid Deal/Musiciansfriend [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I happen to agree with Diki and DonM...

Singers with a strong voice and a wide range would want nothing to do with a fixed mic (headset included)..They know the dynamics of their voice and know how to anticipate the increased volume..also the changing of the tone via mic placement...Two things you can't do with a headset..

Maybe a mono tone singer like Garth or Jimmy can live with it..but real strong vocalist...no way..

#368808 - 07/09/13 09:02 AM Re: Crown CM311 Mic on Stupid Deal/Musiciansfriend [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Did they have headset mics when Elvis was alive? wink

Gary cool

And you think Elvis would want to block his smirk? grin

#368809 - 07/09/13 09:05 AM Re: Crown CM311 Mic on Stupid Deal/Musiciansfriend [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
You have to have quite a good compressor to be able to use your full voice range if the mike is planted an inch away from your mouth. Sure, you can learn to restrict what you can, and control it yourself. But you aren't using your FULL voice if you do. It's like deciding to never play ff or pp, and just play mp to mf. You COULD do it, but why would you WANT to? LOL

And the forementioned use lots of gimmicky effects to cover up..

#368816 - 07/09/13 11:05 AM Re: Crown CM311 Mic on Stupid Deal/Musiciansfriend [Re: Beakybird]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
When Garth, Madonna and other big stars go out with a headset mike, they have something none of us have... A world class soundman riding shotgun on the fader, and a bank of world class outboard compressors, de-essers and pre's in line.

Watch their technique when they use a REAL mike. They work it just like the rest of us.

The reason THEY use headset mikes has NOTHING to do with whether they are better than a regular mike or not. It is because they work on huge stages, need to move around a lot, dance, and/or play a guitar. So their hands are either already full, or it's impossible to do their act holding a mike.

They don't sit in one spot all set long!

#368825 - 07/09/13 12:46 PM Re: Crown CM311 Mic on Stupid Deal/Musiciansfriend [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I guess the operative word on Gary's post is ENTERTAINER. I didn't see an outstanding singer on the list.

You wouldn't catch world-class singers like Nat King Cole, Mariah Carey (she does wear a wireless when she shakes her a** and lip synchs), Ella, Sarah Vaughan, Billy Eckstine, Joe Williams...even relative lightweights but talented vocalists like Johnnie Mathis, Frank, Tom Jones, Englebert, Harry Connick and many others perform live without being able to use the dynamic characteristics of a microphone.

And, man, are they a joy to watch as they change angle, distance, move off-center, etc., making every song their own.

Entertainers are one thing...real singers; entirely, something else and a pure joy to watch/listen to.

Can you imagine Mason singing and dancing with a headset?

Wait just a minute!!!! I'd pay real money to see that! (LOL)!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (07/09/13 01:11 PM)

#368833 - 07/09/13 03:55 PM Re: Crown CM311 Mic on Stupid Deal/Musiciansfriend [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Russ, most of the wonderful singers you happen to have mentioned were mostly dead before headset mics were invented for anyone other than telephone operators. wink And, I loved those voices, too. However, you are now talking about individuals that really didn't need a mic at all to sing - they had incredible vocal control, and I sincerely believe a lot of that came naturally. Personally, I think Elvis probably had one of the best singing voices ever. I thought it was much smoother and cleaner than Sinatra's, but I loved those wonderful tones produced by Mel Torme even more than Elvis or Sinatra. And for fantastic country vocals, I thought Marty Robbins was right at the top of the list. But, what the Hell do I know.

In my case, I had to work damned hard at vocal control, and my first experience at this was as a radio newscaster on WHRF Radio in Bel Air, MD, then WCAO, and finally, doing voice-overs for WBAL in Baltimore. No pull away effects, no one riding a board, just voice control. Like said, a headset mic is not for everyone, Neither is a handheld!

Cheers,

Gary cool

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online