SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3684 - 01/20/04 04:32 PM Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon For Music?
Akuma Offline

First off gotta say its been a long time since I have visited this forum, been probably 18 months, things have changed!

Anyway, wanted to ask, I'm looking into a getting a new PC for music making. Now having seen what AMD can do in terms of processing speed I want to knowany opinions as to which would be better.

Here's my scenario, not a huge software setup I will be using Cubase, Reason, a Soundsampler, couple of Soft Synths. I intend to also use 2 soundcards. Now I have heard that it would be better for compatability issues as well as software to use a Pentium Processor as opposed to AMD.

Now does anyway have experience with using AMD and 2 soundcards?

Any help much appreciated as well as opinions as to which would be the best for my situation.

#3685 - 01/20/04 05:51 PM Re: Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon For Music?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Why don't you want a MAC?
Why suffer with a PC...

I have a few MACs in my studio as well as a PC, but I would NEVER even compare Windows to MAC OSX. OSX is just SO MUCH better, faster, more reliable, no viruses to fear, no bizarre compatibility issues and no other PC related problems. DOn't get me wrong, Win XP is a nice operating system, but I don't find it anywhere near as good as MAC OSX.
Have you ever owned a MAC?

-ED-

#3686 - 01/22/04 01:08 PM Re: Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon For Music?
Akuma Offline

Hi there, no I haven't owned a Mac before but I have used them before. I am just more comfortable with using a PC and plus the fact I already have a load of PC programs which means I'll probably have to buy them all in Mac form which is a long winded procedure.

Other than that which would be better for the music?

#3687 - 01/23/04 09:42 AM Re: Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon For Music?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
I propose a new rule; anytime a macfanatic suggests someone go Apple, especially when it is out of nowhere and/or off topic, they are legally bound to pay for half if the poster does indeed buy a mac.

That should shut you loud mouths up for once... ;p

#3688 - 01/23/04 03:18 PM Re: Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon For Music?
Akuma Offline

lol.

ok can anyone help me with some advice as I really need it, being as I haven't kept up with computer technology for a year and bit and things have changed quite rapidly, feels like I am starting over again.

#3689 - 01/23/04 05:09 PM Re: Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon For Music?
3351 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloakboy:
That should shut you loud mouths up for once... ;p

Lighten up child . It's not me who drives you nuts. it's Windows.

Anyways, to answer your question about which one to go for (since Mac is not your kinda machine) pentium processor is indeed less of a headache. Especially if you want to run things like Reason or Cubase. Since I'm not a dedicated MAC fanatic, I also use PCs. However, the only one that I don't mind using for music is my IBM ThinkPad (XP). It handles things pretty well, but there are some minor issues. Beyond that, I can't say much right now. I do however have a couple of PC fanatics around here, so I will ask.

-ED-

#3690 - 01/23/04 09:42 PM Re: Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon For Music?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My opinion : Intel and AMD are as good, the only difference is in $...
I've been using AMD for two years and never had any compatibility problems...

Same applies for the futile arguments between PC and MAC owners... Both are excellent, one is expensive.

#3691 - 01/24/04 01:41 PM Re: Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon For Music?
3351 Offline

OK,
Talked to a few PC users. Word has it that it's alright to use both. However, most folks recommend that you do go for a Pentium processor. Mostly for reliability, support and all that rhythm. Compatibility is always going to be an isssue. Regardless of what processor it is. It's a PC thing I guess...
I know a couple of guys that use custom built PCs. SO if going MAC OSX is $$$ for you , a custom made PC might be another cool alternative. I'm considering doing so myself, 'cause I have a visual disability and as nice as Apple are they hardly provide any useful visual aid software. Writing letters and complaining didn't do a damn thing for me - Apple still don't give a shit.
OH well, we'll see how things go.

-ED-

#3692 - 01/25/04 12:52 PM Re: Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon For Music?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
I know a couple of guys that use custom built PCs. SO if going MAC OSX is $$$ for you , a custom made PC might be another cool alternative.

Building your own PC is the cheapest option for a desktop, especially if you already have some hard drives, cd drives and RAM lying around. About 4 years ago I dropped $1100 on a shitty Compaq PC 'cuz I didn't know better. Within two years the CDRW drive, then the hard drive crapped out on me, so I built my own. Cannibalizing a stick of RAM, the Monitor, keyboard, mouse, and CDrom drive, I was able to build a set up equivalent to a computer being sold at the time for about $1400 for only $500. However, being a college student at the time I was able to buy Win XP Pro for only $35, if you're not a student XP home runs for about $90, and XP pro for ~$200.

Problem is that now I want a laptop 'cuz I've been hauling a desktop around to gigs and it's getting to be a pain in the ass. Can't build my own laptop, I refuse to buy from Dell/Compaq, so that leaves me looking at Apple. =P

#3693 - 01/25/04 03:37 PM Re: Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon For Music?
3351 Offline

Well, Apple laptops are awsome. If Mac OSX offered better visual aid software then Universal SucksAss (Universal Access that is...at least suppost to be), I'd probably go for a nice G5 laptop myself.

For now it's my ThinkPad...Windows XP wth ZoomText 8. Does an allright job. Even for live gigs.

-ED-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online