SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#367782 - 06/17/13 06:45 PM PSR S-Series Midi Question.?.?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Can anyone answer this one? It'll relate to many of the PSR's being used here.

I've got my PSR-S700 midi'd up to another keyboard to use the S-700 as a master controller. I'm perplexed with the Velocity Settings within the S-700. When I use the S-700's keybed to play drums (manually) from the other keyboard.., the S-700's velocity settings will not allow me to trigger the highest velocity curves within the drum kit without breaking the damn keys on my S-700. I've gone through all the velocity settings and nothing within the S-700 will trigger certain velocity curves without me pounding the hell out of the key(s).

Any Suggestions?

Edited by squeak_D (06/17/13 06:47 PM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#367783 - 06/17/13 07:18 PM Re: PSR S-Series Midi Question.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Squeak, the best guy to send this question to is Michael Bedesem, whom many Yamaha users consider the MIDI Guru. Email him at mpb@vermontel.net

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#367787 - 06/17/13 08:02 PM Re: PSR S-Series Midi Question.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you aren't using the drums live, just using it to program, no shame in having the velocities a bit low while you play, then select 'all' and add a velocity offset to it in the sequencer...

#367788 - 06/17/13 08:15 PM Re: PSR S-Series Midi Question.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
tnicoson Offline

Loc: Chicago area - USA
Squeak

I experienced this same problem 5 or 6 years ago when I first got my PSR-3000. I tried to enhance its voice set by connecting it to my Roland JV-2080, but practically had to hit the keys with a hammer to get anything out of the 2080. The best I could do was to turn off the keyboard sensitivity of the 3000 and use it like an organ. This really got the sound out of the 2080, but blew the dynamics away. I went thru the MIDI settings on both units dozens of times and never came up with a solution. I assumed that it must be an incompatibility problem between Yamaha and Roland, but when I ran into the same problem trying to use the 3000 as a controller for the Motif XS-6, I finally gave up in utter frustration and disgust and reconnected the 2080 to the G-1000 to enhance its SC-88 Pro voice set. From that point on, I always used the 3000 as a stand alone unit. If I did use it with another keyboard, I just racked them up and played them as separate units.

I hope you find your answer somewhere.

Regards,

Ted

#367789 - 06/17/13 08:36 PM Re: PSR S-Series Midi Question.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Have you tried hooking up to a sequencer, and looking at the velocities of the MIDI out data?

Try changing the Vel response and repeating.

I don't suppose there's a MIDI parameter independent of the internal curve somewhere in the sys-ex, is there?

#367792 - 06/17/13 09:05 PM Re: PSR S-Series Midi Question.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks Gary.., I'll send him an email. Diki.., I haven't tried hooking my S-700 up to a sequencer yet. My S-700 is my "go to" keyboard for throwing down some song ideas. I eventually move over to my computer and use a DAW with VST's.

Shouldn't be this much trouble to get the velocity to work properly with midi on the S-700. If push comes to shove.., I can just use my Juno-Di. I've used it with this synth before and it worked flawlessly. Problem now is that my Juno-Di is "over here", and my other synth is "over there" on a second tier sitting above my S-700. Figured the logical thing to do would be to use it.

With all it seems I'll have to do in order to get the S-700 to hit those higher velocity values (to trigger the velocity curves).., it would probably be easier to just move some stuff around to get my Juno hooked back up to it.

Thanks fellas.

I will say that I remember in the past several members here voicing their discontent with the master midi features in the PSR's. Didn't figure something as simple as "velocity" would be an issue.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#367990 - 06/20/13 10:07 PM Re: PSR S-Series Midi Question.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Squeak,

I get the same problem with my PA 3X.
I midi out through the Motif XS as the sound source.

When i play the PA3X i can never reach a velocity level higher than about 110-120... i dont know why... I dont know how to adjust the velocity output levels either.

#368005 - 06/21/13 07:00 AM Re: PSR S-Series Midi Question.?.? [Re: Nick G]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Nick G
Squeak,When i play the PA3X i can never reach a velocity level higher than about 110-120... i dont know why... I dont know how to adjust the velocity output levels either.

I don't know if anyone has addressed this before, but did you look at the setting for velocity on the keybed? Sometimes, the curve is set so that the highest velocities really need to be spanked to get the volume. I set mine at a medium hardness ... I hate the thought of hitting these plastic, anemic keys too hard. I cut my teeth on a Rhodes, so I'm used to digging in, but with today's arrangers .... not many have the rigth resistance to really "pound the ivories" (plastics)
smile
Try setting your velocity curve to a softer touch.

#368007 - 06/21/13 07:21 AM Re: PSR S-Series Midi Question.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You could just turn off the touch sensitivity. It's that easy.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#368009 - 06/21/13 07:38 AM Re: PSR S-Series Midi Question.?.? [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Hey Squeak,
You've been here for eons. Man you can't be so ugly that you won't post a pic, eh? Come on put it up. If I bump into you someday, I won't know ya from Adam.
wave

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online