SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#367865 - 06/18/13 09:55 PM how do i put up a web site?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I need help on this one. I finally figured it out. It's time I have a web presence. I'm probably the last one on the planet NOT to have one.

It seems at every turn there is a company or an individual or a computer geek ready to build you a site. It's confusing.

All I want for now is a "presence" that I can change as I go along and add things to it. And, I guess, eventually have it professionally designed. What I mean is an actual web site and not any of the social networks (Facebook, etc).

The last company I looked at is this 1and1.com. Is there an easier way to go about this just to get my name, phone #, and what I do musically out there?

Mark

#367875 - 06/18/13 10:50 PM Re: how do i put up a web site? [Re: Mark79100]
shim Offline

Loc: USA
Weebly.com Wordpress.com Blogger.com - all free!

All you have to do is buy a domain name and forward it to your free site

#367877 - 06/18/13 11:07 PM Re: how do i put up a web site? [Re: Mark79100]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
My favourite, when it comes about simple, user updatable platform, is the free blogging, with let's say wordpress.com

You just create an account, choose themes, customize them and there you are. Will ask you to do some things you probably did not do before, but nothing impossible to learn.

I'd go with that.

#367879 - 06/19/13 02:09 AM Re: how do i put up a web site? [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Here are some sites that have been tested with reviews Top 10 have a look and see what takes your fancy.

Hope this helps

Bill

#367887 - 06/19/13 05:15 AM Re: how do i put up a web site? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Try 1&1.com

#367903 - 06/19/13 08:37 AM Re: how do i put up a web site? [Re: Mark79100]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Check out my site: http://unikuehotdogscatering.com/

This was done for me for free. This fellow makes a commission from hostgator, so he doesn't have to charge you to do this. He sets it up and has pages that you put the info in. I learned to work around it in a couple of hours and he uses wordpress to build the site. After I worked with this I did another site by my self following his videos and instructions from this site for my OMB.

If you're interested go here to have it done, and all you pay is the monthly fee for hostgator to be the host for your site Mark!
http://newopsmembers.com/

If nothing else, I think you will enjoy his site. It's very informative about building web sites. It has videos describing how you can change info on you page etc.

Edited by brickboo (06/19/13 08:39 AM)

#367907 - 06/19/13 09:08 AM Re: how do i put up a web site? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mark,

Why do you want a web site? Better yet, what do you hope to accomplish with it?

Keep in mind that there are lots of misconceptions about web sites and their effectiveness. Some folks view them as a panacea, a place where musicians can book thousands upon thousands of jobs, become wealthy, and the entire world will find you with a single mouse click. Believe me, it's not the case, which I suspect you will soon discover.

A few years back, there were a couple guys on this forum that said they booked more than half their jobs from their website. Then they revealed that they played about once a month, and the number of jobs booked directly from the site alone, jobs via a search engine, were essentially zero.

Also, you must keep in mind that maintaining a web site takes time, and if you don't have those skills, money. You must constantly register the site with the various search engines, which can be a daily chore just to stay on the top 20 pages.

Lots to think about,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online