SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#367233 - 06/06/13 09:16 PM Dial a style...
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi all,

Herewith a short demo of what can be achieved with style modelling direct on the Audya. Now, I'm not a pro musician like many of you, so imagine what you can do with this stunning function on the Audya...

Listen to the "Modelling" MP3. I've recorded in the following order:

1. Intro & variation 1 of poor converted Yamaha style.
2. Intro & variation 1 of modelled Audya stye.
3. Variation 2 of poor converted Yamaha style.
4. Variation 2 of modelled Audya style
5. Variation 3 of poor converted Yamaha style.
6. Variation 3 of modelled Audya style.
7. Variation 4 of poor converted Yamaha style.
8. Variation 4 of modelled Audya style.
9. Ending 2 of poor converted Yamaha style.
10. Ending 2 of modelled Audya style.

I recorded all of the above in a single take direct to the HDD of the Audya, so no tampering with any sound or Eq settings.

Also, all of the above were done direct on my Audya in under an hour. You will hear that the original style did not convert well at all, yet notice how it sounds now after using Ketron's "dial a style" & changing some midi voices...

The MP3 file "Audya" is the song that I've converted the style for. See my next post for a version of the same song on the Yamaha 3000. In my opinion, the style is now vastly improved, even though it initially converted very poor to the Audya.

Go for it! You'll be AMAZED of what can be achieved direct on your Audya.

Kind regards,

Henni

Attachments
Modelling.mp3 (86 downloads)
Audya.mp3 (58 downloads)

#367234 - 06/06/13 09:26 PM Re: Dial a style... [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Hi all,

Here's how I used the original style on my Yamaha PSR 3000. I think it now sounds much better on the Audya.

See right on top under the "FAQ" thread exactly how to achieve this & then go for it. I say again, all I need is a midi style with a reasonably good intro & ending & within under an hour, I can turn it into something amazing direct on the Audya. The permutations & possibilities are endless...

I can take the same modified style & withing minutes have it sound like a completely new & different style using mostly the thumbwheel only!

Keep well all,

Henni

Attachments
Yamaha.mp3 (82 downloads)

#367238 - 06/07/13 01:04 AM Re: Dial a style... [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Hi all,

It's all explained in great detail in the manual. If you go here and look at pages 147 to 155, you'll see what audio parts are available for styles to the standard non AJAMSONIC Audya.

Page 69 to 76 describes how to insert these into any existing style, whether standard midi or audio style.

Please post MP3 demos of your own creations over here & let's see what can be achieved using the Audya only. Once you've done the 1st one, it all becomes very easy & natural. I wonder how many make use of this stunning capability of the Audya...

Some tricks I've learned:

1. For the intro's & endings, replace the odd midi voices with new ones.
2. Play with the effect & volume settings.
3. In the main part of the style, start initially by replacing only those chord tracks that do not play right with the new loops from Ketron. This will give you a good feeling for what to do next.
4. Try & always replace the midi drums with audio drums as these come with stunning fills. Remember to first make all midi drum volumes = 0 else both midi & audio drums will play. I think this applies to the drums & groove tracks only...
5. Make the audio drum volumes = 0 for all the intro's and endings and set the midi drums to the correct volume levels.
6. Try to replace the midi bass with loops from the Ketron library as these come with GREAT riffs & fills. Everything above about drums apply to the bass track also.
7. Don't worry if one of the intros or endings do not play correct. Just use the ones that do instead as we cannot edit right down to note level on the midi.
8. If you use an Ajamsonic style for starters, first save the style as a new style with a different name. The original will not remember your new registration settings (write & copy protection...), but the new one will.
9. You can save the modified style either as a new style, or as a new registration. Both methods work for the non Ajamsonic styles.
10. You can replace any midi voice(instrument) with a super solo voice(instrument).
11. Don't forget about the groove track. It can make for a stunning complement & even replacement for the drums track.
12. If you simply cannot fix an odd midi track in the intros or endings, simply turn it's volume down to = 0. On all the other parts you can replace it with a Ketron loop. You can do same for intro's & endings, but it will most probably not follow the chord changes for those correctly. It will for all the other parts though.

You'll descover many more tricks as you go along. Please post them here.

Keep well all,

Henni

#367365 - 06/09/13 09:09 PM Re: Dial a style... [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Originally Posted By: Henni
...on mine I have 2028 user drum loops, many, many original audio drum & groove loops. I estimate I have far over 3000 drum sections available to me covering just about every genre I might need. The onboard drum loops come complete with different sections for all the variatiions, fills, breaks, intro & endings. I just dial in a single drum loop, the rest is all automatic. I doubt if you'll find many songs for which you cannot find suitable drum sections.

...yes, the modified styles are a combination of audio & midi. Why replace a midi track that sounds great. However, in the same style track, I can ie. have midi in variation 1, audio in variation 1 & 2 and then again midi in variation 4. I can mix & match to my hearts delight. In this new demo, I liked one original midi track so much that I copied & pasted to the same track of all other variations (easily done direct on the Audya) I also copied part of some midi intro & ending tracks from another style, also done direct on the Audya.

In my opinion, this "dial a style" feature is what makes the Audya so unique. I say again, I only need a midi style with a reasonably good intro & ending & the rest I'll use my thumbwheel to dial in in no time & no sweat at all.

Listen to the demo. It uses audio drums, many, many onboard audio sections not made for that specific style, yet hear just how authentic this style now sounds...

Hi all,

Made another 6 or so new styles over the weekend. Here's a demo of one of them.

Note:

DEMO1. Midi only style as converted. I play variation 1, then variation 2, then variation 3 & lastly variation 4.
DEMO2. Modified midi to audio style. I play variation 1, variation 3, variation 2 & lastly variation 4.

All done direct on the Audya in less than one hour.

I know I play the song wrong, but we use it with different words for Gospel & this is my version of it.

Keep well all,

Henni

Attachments
DEMO1.mp3 (38 downloads)
DEMO2.mp3 (32 downloads)

#367373 - 06/09/13 10:33 PM Re: Dial a style... [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Hi all,

Here's another tip:

For converted Yamaha styles, most of those aweful "Fretnoise" midi tracks should be replaced with the "Country-stereo" midi voice. Be careful not to do a global change, as Yamaha likes to put different voices in the same track for the different style sections.

Keep well all,

Henn

#367416 - 06/10/13 10:47 PM Re: Dial a style... [Re: Henni]
ajodanimario Offline

Loc: espaņa
Muchas gracias por esto que nos dices henni, lo ire probando.

#367589 - 06/15/13 05:39 AM Re: Dial a style... [Re: Henni]
dariokacan Offline

halo Henni. Thanks for all off your effrts. You are a great man.I am the user off the oldest AUDYA out off Italy.Regards to everybody.Dario Croatia.

#367640 - 06/15/13 11:49 PM Re: Dial a style... [Re: dariokacan]
Henni Offline

Hi my friends,

It's only a pleasure to try and make the Audya everything it should be.

Keep well all my friends,

Henni

#367793 - 06/17/13 09:30 PM Re: Dial a style... [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Hi all,

I modified another 15 or so more midi styles to audio over the weekend. All so easy to do & the results are AMAZING! The next time we perform, it will mostly be with styles that carry our own personal brand & not available to anyone else. This will make our Audya unique.

I'm so happy that I chose to go this route. Every conversion becomes easier as I learn from my previous experiences. I cannot emphasize this fantastic feature of the Audya enough...

I say again, all I need is a reasonable good intro & ending, the rest is just a breeze & each one of those creations are stunning, to say the least!

Keep well all,

Henni

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online