SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#367244 - 06/07/13 06:08 AM Re: New Podium Pro 1205a powered speaker plus [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
with speakers you get what you pay for i say..

In many cases ..you pay too much. smile

I am all for..buying the best you can afford...but be cautious about "numbers" and overpriced gear....and when you are buying at list prices, are the companies being fair with you...can you believe the "numbers" from them...Just think about it (Bose is an example) wink

Edited by Fran Carango (06/07/13 06:13 AM)

#367245 - 06/07/13 06:31 AM Re: New Podium Pro 1205a powered speaker plus [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Don

I have to say in most cases I agree but a few years ago tried some Carvin stuff. The LM12 series speaker I have just can't be replaced. Lightweight, great bass response and super clean highs. I'll be DJing with them tonight. I push them with a 500 watt Yamaha mixer and they take all the power it can put out. I now have a pair of 10" and Carvin's very small powered mixer for my studio. Great stuff at a very decent price.
They discontinued this line and I'm sorry I didn't get the 15" models too. Anyone got some LM15's lying around ???
I keep trying to justify a change in PA stuff but then realize I have great stuff.
If it ain't broke ........... LOL

Bill, like you..I already have great stuff...we just have to keep looking for new toys.. smile

You can't replace your Crates, and I won't replace my Cubes...we must be on to something.. grin

#367249 - 06/07/13 08:50 AM Re: New Podium Pro 1205a powered speaker plus [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Fran whats wrong with BOSE speakers ...everyone seems to love them..? Yes they are very expensive but no one is complaining..

#367250 - 06/07/13 08:56 AM Re: New Podium Pro 1205a powered speaker plus [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You won't be able to tell much about a Podium/QSC shootout unless you have a BIG room and very tolerant neighbors!

Most of the time, speakers compare very equally until you get up into that last 20% or so of their volume range. Then the money starts to show!

#367254 - 06/07/13 09:42 AM Re: New Podium Pro 1205a powered speaker plus [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Fran whats wrong with BOSE speakers ...everyone seems to love them..? Yes they are very expensive but no one is complaining..

The fact that Bose sells at list price...can't be any clearer to me..

#367255 - 06/07/13 09:43 AM Re: New Podium Pro 1205a powered speaker plus [Re: Diki]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
You won't be able to tell much about a Podium/QSC shootout unless you have a BIG room and very tolerant neighbors!

Most of the time, speakers compare very equally until you get up into that last 20% or so of their volume range. Then the money starts to show!

My neighbors just have to make the best of it.. smile

#367355 - 06/09/13 07:21 PM Re: New Podium Pro 1205a powered speaker plus [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

"I have a School concert on Friday( Bristol High School), that I am the sound system supplier...I will be using two Roland Cubes for the audience and this 1205a for the school class (Graduation program for young children..) The Edirol mixer will give me the control I need for this gig.."

Update: This 1 hour show turned out to be a real workout.. grin

Preparation time, putting the selected music together and altering after they wanted to change it up..not a big deal, but time consuming..

When I got to Bristol High School..it was raining ..hard!!

I had to park about 60 yards away..I loaded the R10 ..two Roland cubes, Podium Pro 1205a, bag with mics and cords, Laptop and mixer.....wheeled over to the front door...no ramp , just to steps...unloaded the cart , hauled the Cubes , Podium , Laptop and mixer into the school...loaded the R10 again smirk

Wheeled to the auditorium..towards the front of the stage..unloaded..again... eek

Then I had to dead lift the 75 pound Cubes onto the 4 foot high stage.(2 Cubes)....the under 30 pound Podium was a breeze.. smile

The house system was a pair of EAW speakers (used for the mic podium...).

The Roland's cruized in the 1300 seat auditorium, no need to push any volume...It actually did sound better than the EAW's..I used the Podium 1205a for the monitor facing the little kids on stage...

The group of young lady teachers that organized the kids were lovely young ladies (perk) grin

The show went with out a hitch...

I was only half way finished..the way I came in..is the way I had to leave...and yes it was still pouring rain..I was exhausted , and soaked.....but had a great time.. wink

#367370 - 06/09/13 09:30 PM Re: New Podium Pro 1205a powered speaker plus [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My entire setup probably doesn't weigh 100 pounds total!
I rarely used the cart because it weighs more than just about any single piece of my gear.
Nobody ever asks why I don't have bigger speakers. Instead they usually ask how I get such great sound from "those little post things." (Bose Compacts).
You are too old to work that hard Fran! smile
DonM

#367384 - 06/10/13 06:42 AM Re: New Podium Pro 1205a powered speaker plus [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
"I have a School concert on Friday( Bristol High School), that I am the sound system supplier...I will be using two Roland Cubes for the audience and this 1205a for the school class (Graduation program for young children..) The Edirol mixer will give me the control I need for this gig.."

Update: This 1 hour show turned out to be a real workout.. grin

Preparation time, putting the selected music together and altering after they wanted to change it up..not a big deal, but time consuming..

When I got to Bristol High School..it was raining ..hard!!

I had to park about 60 yards away..I loaded the R10 ..two Roland cubes, Podium Pro 1205a, bag with mics and cords, Laptop and mixer.....wheeled over to the front door...no ramp , just to steps...unloaded the cart , hauled the Cubes , Podium , Laptop and mixer into the school...loaded the R10 again smirk

Wheeled to the auditorium..towards the front of the stage..unloaded..again... eek

Then I had to dead lift the 75 pound Cubes onto the 4 foot high stage.(2 Cubes)....the under 30 pound Podium was a breeze.. smile

The house system was a pair of EAW speakers (used for the mic podium...).

The Roland's cruized in the 1300 seat auditorium, no need to push any volume...It actually did sound better than the EAW's..I used the Podium 1205a for the monitor facing the little kids on stage...

The group of young lady teachers that organized the kids were lovely young ladies (perk) grin

The show went with out a hitch...

I was only half way finished..the way I came in..is the way I had to leave...and yes it was still pouring rain..I was exhausted , and soaked.....but had a great time.. wink

Being you DJ's the gig be thank full you didn't have to lug the heavy G70 in also ...
stop complaining you could have a REAL job!! wink

#367385 - 06/10/13 07:19 AM Re: New Podium Pro 1205a powered speaker plus [Re: DonM]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Get a pair of QSC K-8 Speakers they are the best small speaker I have ever used with the low end switch and 20lbs ea they are great . 1000 wt each and bullet proof I have used them for almost 2 1/2 years and they are small and do the job even in big arena's as well .

well worth the money.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online