Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#364345 - 04/04/13 06:09 AM Re: Roland BK-9 unveiled [Re: cassp]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...

#364347 - 04/04/13 06:24 AM Re: Roland BK-9 unveiled [Re: Dreamer]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Sound wise it does not seem much different from the Yamaha S950 (Itself not exactly stellar) for the same price, so I think Yamaha had better start looking over its shoulder as Roland have a habit of launching a good model, and then at a later date bringing out an update that takes it to a whole new level. (Look at the G70 which was derided by all but Roland Diehards when launched, but the V2 update made it one of the best arranger’s available at that time)
Yet to see Yamaha bring out an update without forcing you to buy a new keyboard to get it

Bill

#364349 - 04/04/13 07:39 AM Re: Roland BK-9 unveiled [Re: Dreamer]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Didn't I listen to the same demos as you guys? shocked

The first couple actually show the instrument the way most folks here will use it...simplified and illustrated as such....like most here will play.. smile

The 48 minute video shows the keyboard using more features and skill levels...like maybe 2 percent of folks will use.. grin

If I did not own a G70, I would be very excited about owning this keyboard as my primary...As it is, it will make a great upgrade from my BK5, for the following reasons..I like the SuperNatural sounds..25 additional styles and reworked 540 styles...User tones can be saved...Favorite sound bank....Mic input (XLR or 1/4 inch)....L/R audio inputs (a plus will be , if we can route to effects)...76 keys (still hope for Juno Stage bed)...20 pounds...Mixing via sliders.....Drawbar organ...

assigable D-beam.....16 track sequencer...

These are features improved over my BK5....making this BK9 an overall ideal instrument, for smaller in/out jobs, especially the senior gigs and one nighters.....and with a band too..

Nope, I don't hear what you hear... smile

#364352 - 04/04/13 08:30 AM Re: Roland BK-9 unveiled [Re: BBBB]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
From the spec. list it looks like there is no aftertouch; this, coupled with the plasticky look, confirms my initial feelings that it cannot be a TOTL arranger. Now, if the price is correct (around 1500 USD) it could sell well, but if it's more than that the people at Roland will have shot themselves in the foot.
Just my opinion, of course.

#364353 - 04/04/13 08:33 AM Re: Roland BK-9 unveiled [Re: Dreamer]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
This is supposed to be a Flagship arranger but it sounds more like a mid-range arranger to my ears. I think the Yammie PSR-s950 in many cases sounds better. Plus the cost is $2,500, and therefore, a person will probably think long and hard before forking over that kind of money for a less than stellar sound if you ask me. On the Roland Connect website there are two videos showcasing some of the sounds. I very much liked the organ sounds and the synth sound in the second video. The trumpet sounded somewhat unnatural but the sax was pretty good. Some of the guitars sounded pretty good also. The harmonica sound used in the youtube video, on the other hand, was rather thin sounding in my opinion.

This might be a case of a keyboard having many decent sounds but perhaps also many less than stellar sounds. In other words, a mixed bag. Of course I'll have to delay my final analysis until after I play the BK-9. The Soprano sax wasn't very good. I'm writing this as I listen to the streaming video on youtube. The grand piano sounds pretty good. Although Roland seems to fall behind the competition in the woodwind and orchestra/string categories. Okay, I'll stop for now regarding the sounds.

It's lightweight which is a plus for 76 keys. No after-touch which is disappointing. Although it can play .wav files which is a plus. But the LCD screen(s) are really cheesy in my opinion. The resolution is very low and the text is hard to read because of it. Also no Sampler which is a shame. No harmonizer either. You can't view lyrics from songs except through an external monitor which is another piece of equipment you have to have to experience something so basic and included on almost every other mid-range level keyboard. No onboard speakers either so you need an external sound system which is additional hardware at an additional cost. You also need an external harmonizer. Roland is touting the VE-20 which is almost $300 bucks. If you want a color screen you need an iPad which is another significant additional cost.

I hate to rain on people's parade but so far I'm less than thrilled. Roland should have gone all out but they choose instead to offer a mid-range sounding keyboard (at least from many of the sounds I've heard so far) which also has several missing arranger features e.g. no speakers, no harmonizer, no Sampler, no after-touch, cheesy LCD screen(s), etc., etc. and yet at a high-end price point. Good luck with that.

All the best, Mike

Edited by keybplayer (04/04/13 08:36 AM)

#364354 - 04/04/13 08:48 AM Re: Roland BK-9 unveiled [Re: Dreamer]
Fran Carango Offline

Flagship.....means their top of the line.....simply their best current model...

#364355 - 04/04/13 09:01 AM Re: Roland BK-9 unveiled [Re: keybplayer]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: keybplayer
This is supposed to be a Flagship arranger but it sounds more like a mid-range arranger to my ears. I think the Yammie PSR-s950 in many cases sounds better. Plus the cost is $2,500, and therefore, a person will probably think long and hard before forking over that kind of money for a less than stellar sound if you ask me. On the Roland Connect website there are two videos showcasing some of the sounds. I very much liked the organ sounds and the synth sound in the second video. The trumpet sounded somewhat unnatural but the sax was pretty good. Some of the guitars sounded pretty good also. The harmonica sound used in the youtube video, on the other hand, was rather thin sounding in my opinion.

This might be a case of a keyboard having many decent sounds but perhaps also many less than stellar sounds. In other words, a mixed bag. Of course I'll have to delay my final analysis until after I play the BK-9. The Soprano sax wasn't very good. I'm writing this as I listen to the streaming video on youtube. The grand piano sounds pretty good. Although Roland seems to fall behind the competition in the woodwind and orchestra/string categories. Okay, I'll stop for now regarding the sounds.

It's lightweight which is a plus for 76 keys. No after-touch which is disappointing. Although it can play .wav files which is a plus. But the LCD screen(s) are really cheesy in my opinion. The resolution is very low and the text is hard to read because of it. Also no Sampler which is a shame. No harmonizer either. You can't view lyrics from songs except through an external monitor which is another piece of equipment you have to have to experience something so basic and included on almost every other mid-range level keyboard. No onboard speakers either so you need an external sound system which is additional hardware at an additional cost. You also need an external harmonizer. Roland is touting the VE-20 which is almost $300 bucks. If you want a color screen you need an iPad which is another significant additional cost.

I hate to rain on people's parade but so far I'm less than thrilled. Roland should have gone all out but they choose instead to offer a mid-range sounding keyboard (at least from many of the sounds I've heard so far) which also has several missing arranger features e.g. no speakers, no harmonizer, no Sampler, no after-touch, cheesy LCD screen(s), etc., etc. and yet at a high-end price point. Good luck with that.

All the best, Mike

It’s a Flagship BK Arranger NOT a Flagship TOTL Arranger hence the price of £1699 which puts it firmly up against MOTL Arrangers (Yamaha S950 etc.) not TOTL Arrangers, so is good value for the market it is aimed at.

Bill

#364357 - 04/04/13 09:32 AM Re: Roland BK-9 unveiled [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

clap Great job ROLAND ....they will sell thousands of these units world wide for sure...
keys Glad to see them back in the mix. Don't let the demos fool you just a short time ago people were blasting the KORG Pa3x demos when released also only to NOW enjoy all it's attributes. As everyone knows out of the box factory setting need to be edited and tweaked to perfection for the individual player....so why not give the BK9 a chance to breath and open its wings in a few months as the masses get a real chance to give it a go and then I'm sure we will hear many wonderful things form this new release. I can't wait to play one myself down the road. cool2

BTW Roland has put the BK9 on their website now also.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1274/459

Edited by Dnj (04/04/13 09:35 AM)

#364358 - 04/04/13 09:52 AM Re: Roland BK-9 unveiled [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

The reasons...the BK9 could not replace my G70 as the primary keyboard...I refuse to give up the G70's...touch screen, 76 keybed, after touch, harmonizer, and non menu driven controls..

But the BK9 is sure to find it's way as a replacement for the BK5 (secondary keyboard)..

If the BK9 meets your needs ..buy it...if not...just pass on it..

I don't believe there is another keyboard with the same credentials on the market...with a street price under $2,000..I think it will do well..

#364359 - 04/04/13 10:07 AM Re: Roland BK-9 unveiled [Re: Dnj]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Dnj

BTW Roland has put the BK9 on their website now also.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1274/459

No manual yet though - that is where the REAL info is....

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online