SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#363908 - 03/27/13 03:39 PM hard drive for technics KN6500
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
i have never done this before but heard you can install an internal hard drive for the KN6500??

Basically i want to expand the 20 custom style spots to alot more as i fear i will fill this up quite fast at the current rate i am going.

is it just as simple as buying a laptop or PC harddrive from a computer shop and connecting it inside the keyboard like a PC? (I am fluent with doing this in PC's).

OR is it a proprietary technics piece of equipment.??

thanks

#363912 - 03/27/13 04:42 PM Re: hard drive for technics KN6500 [Re: Nick G]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
The Technics hard disk kit is unique with a circuit board attached. A standard PC hard disk will not do the job.

Although custom styles can be useful, you need to be cautious if you ever plan to send any of your sequences to someone else with a Technics keyboard. Unless their custom style memory is loaded with your custom setup, the sequence will not play properly on their keyboard. If you do install a hard drive, there will be little need for the custom style memory because you can easily load whatever you have saved to the HDD about as fast as selecting custom memory styles. The custom memory slots for styles were originally included because it took so very long to load styles from floppy disks. The KN6000 was the first Technics model to use compressed files for disk memory. Load times were significantly reduced with compressed files. Personally, I avoid the use of Custom memory styles like the plague. Others may see it differently . . .

#363913 - 03/27/13 05:11 PM Re: hard drive for technics KN6500 [Re: Nick G]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
OK, so if i cannot get my hands on a Hard drive, my only option is to have the 20 custom styles saved in the custom style category plus whatever i have on floppy disks?

The keyboard cannot play a style directly from a floppy cant it?

#363919 - 03/27/13 07:24 PM Re: hard drive for technics KN6500 [Re: Nick G]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Yes, and the 20 custom styles are OK as long as you don't use them for sequences that you might send to someone else.

When you load a style from disk it is copied to the Composer. The style is not played directly from disk. It does take some time and is not instant as it would be with a hard disk or SD card as the KN7000 uses. I did not own a KN6000/6500 so maybe someone else can comment on how long the load process takes with that keyboard. Since disk files can contain several different sub files (current panel, panel memory, sequencer, sound memory, etc) the load times can be reduced by only using the files that are needed.

#363934 - 03/28/13 05:19 AM Re: hard drive for technics KN6500 [Re: Nick G]
Bob Hendershot Offline

It was a poor choice of words when I said that the "style" was copied to the composer above. It is the "rhythm" (the composer file) that goes to the composer. Other files like panel memory, sound memory, sequencer, etc go to their appropriate memory locations. Technics puts a lot of stuff in disk files and those things are user selectable.

#363937 - 03/28/13 07:17 AM Re: hard drive for technics KN6500 [Re: Nick G]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Nick - you've got to swap your KN6500 for a KN7000 to get to where you want to be...

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online