SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#363264 - 03/16/13 03:11 AM Warning ..new type of ebay scam
Tonewheeldude Offline

So I was just looking at ebay and saw there is an Audya 5 from a US seller (gabfaith) for £1300 ($2000). I thought thats obviously a scam but clicked on the item anyway to have a look. I clicked on the username to see his feedback and ebay prompted me to enter my user name and password which I did. the next page was the conformation of Buy It Now.

Thats odd I thought, I must have clicked on the wrong button...or

I checked the address bar. It said:
http://p2ks.com/ws/eBay...... and so on

Buried in the listing is a script that redirects you from ebay to the cloned site above that tries to get get your user information and money. I telephoned ebay and they conformed the listing is redirecting me (not a problem with malware on my local computer)

This is quite clever and the first I have seen something like this in action (on ebay anyway).

I will be checking the address bar more reguarly from now on!

#363267 - 03/16/13 04:04 AM Re: Warning ..new type of ebay scam [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Change your ebay password IMMEDIATELY as you have given it to the scammer.

#363269 - 03/16/13 04:30 AM Re: Warning ..new type of ebay scam [Re: Nigel]
Kytrinh Offline

Loc: Australia
Thanks Nigel.. I've notice also the listing has been taken off,,,
Ky

#363274 - 03/16/13 06:33 AM Re: Warning ..new type of ebay scam [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Tonewheeldude Offline

thanks Nigel - yes I did that as soon as I got off the phone with ebay. Ebay are so much better at support now. They Telephoned me back within three minutes of placing the call. 10 minutes after visiting the page, ebay were aware and I had changed my password.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online