SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#362490 - 03/03/13 07:36 AM Re: Hiring a Musician or Band...... [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

I know Al Rondo very well....he played many rooms that myself played years ago also...although he was blind he would astonish people with his keyboard talents, We used to go see him perform at Savannahs in Spring Lake,I last saw him at the White Sands in Point Pleasant Beach, even tough he couldn't see me he would always say hello, I'd give him a kiss on his Bald head..lol...
FYI I was down your way on the shore last night doing a gig at
Four Seasons country club a real nice place.

Attachments
2222222.jpg

Edited by Dnj (03/03/13 07:37 AM)

#362494 - 03/03/13 08:32 AM Re: Hiring a Musician or Band...... [Re: Bachus]
Rfinnshw Offline

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
"So if in your area a moron is gigging for $100 a gig, people will think youre way to expensive when you charge $300 a gig."

Bachus,

I totally agree with your last comment... As long as there is some Moron doing the same gig for $100 that is what really kills it for being able to get compensated for today's reality of pricing. $$$

Just like any market, "supply & demand" as long as some idiot is causing the fee structure to crash, then it becomes challenging to justify what the year 2013 reasonable compensation should be.

In my area: Southeast Florida, I blame the guys that work the same circuit as me, that are still charging what the fee structure was 28 years ago, for the realistic reason why my fees seem so "out of line" compared to what they are still working for which is only $50 per hour!!!

The person doing the hiring at the Venue constantly gives me the rebuttal that: "The other guys are doing the gig for $150!"

Ron, in Port Saint Lucie, Florida [Southeast Florida]
headphone

#362496 - 03/03/13 09:00 AM Re: Hiring a Musician or Band...... [Re: Rfinnshw]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Rfinnshw
"So if in your area a moron is gigging for $100 a gig, people will think youre way to expensive when you charge $300 a gig."

Bachus,

I totally agree with your last comment... As long as there is some Moron doing the same gig for $100 that is what really kills it for being able to get compensated for today's reality of pricing. $$$

Just like any market, "supply & demand" as long as some idiot is causing the fee structure to crash, then it becomes challenging to justify what the year 2013 reasonable compensation should be.

In my area: Southeast Florida, I blame the guys that work the same circuit as me, that are still charging what the fee structure was 28 years ago, for the realistic reason why my fees seem so "out of line" compared to what they are still working for which is only $50 per hour!!!

The person doing the hiring at the Venue constantly gives me the rebuttal that: "The other guys are doing the gig for $150!"

Ron, in Port Saint Lucie, Florida [Southeast Florida]
headphone

Obviously a player needs to be worth the money you ask for, ....you have to back up your playing and singing WAY above all the rest when you ask for more money and be ready to prove it to your perspective clients making them "look to hire you" what do YOU do in your act that is better then the competition?, are you putting in the hours to make clients know who you are? what you do? how good you can entertainer their people at a gig? make countless phone calls, sending out flyers, advertising in news papers, visiting clients locations, auditions, using agents, etc,. if your not ready to go "FULL BORE" to get work anywhere your music will be appropriate then you have given up and will languish with the other $50.00 gig players,who are a dime a dozen,...but, if you want to soar above them in this business you gotta care about what your doing big time and make it happen at all costs doing the legwork, homework every day. It can be done, you get the one shot if your music is subpar or just average your just another player in the mix, if the crowd leaves and you can create a "WOW" factor after a gig you will leave them WANTING MORE & MORE and that is the KEY!!! I cannot stress this enough!!...EVERY GIG!!!!......or you can sit home and make squat.
but,how much does somebody want it only you can chose your destiny?.... wink

Edited by Dnj (03/03/13 09:09 AM)

#362498 - 03/03/13 09:06 AM Re: Hiring a Musician or Band...... [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I like to be competitive, but I still need to charge what I'm worth ... which is usually at least a LITTLE more than the pack. I expect to loose a few jobs a year to price - that's fine by me. Better that, than being unhappy at work. I need to make a living, but I also need to be taken seriously. If a potential client tells me that "so and so" charges less then I do, I always reply ... then get THEM. I charge more, because I am worth more.
BTW - I loose very few offers, and most times, it's not due to money - it's style, preference, or personal reasons.

#362593 - 03/04/13 08:23 PM Re: Hiring a Musician or Band...... [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
....what do YOU do in your act that is better then the competition?, are you putting in the hours to make clients know who you are? what you do? how good you can entertainer their people at a gig? make countless phone calls, sending out flyers, advertising in news papers, visiting clients locations, auditions, using agents, etc......but, if you want to soar above them in this business you gotta care about what your doing big time and make it happen at all costs doing the legwork, homework every day.

I'm starting to think it's a lost cause. All this, just to keep your head above water for many. With all this happening, when does one get time to get his oil changed or his teeth cleaned or have a cup of coffee with his wife?

I think I'm going to change careers to a more admirable one like driving a taxi in NYC. The sad truth is, for many musicians (except maybe Don M.....you'll have to cut him down with an ax!) the glory days of big money are over

Mark

#362594 - 03/04/13 08:56 PM Re: Hiring a Musician or Band...... [Re: Mark79100]
chasbee Offline

Loc: Bristol UK.
When you think about it, there is no alternative to 6 plumbers. If the job is big enough for 6 plumbers, then that’s what you need. Unfortunately, there many alternatives to 6 musicians. That’s the rub.

#362595 - 03/04/13 09:04 PM Re: Hiring a Musician or Band...... [Re: Dnj]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I don't know where to start! Try laying brick. Everybody even you high priced entertainers think that the price is too high.
Pull an 8 to 10 thousand gross weight trailer to haul around loaded with scaffold, brick saw planks etc. A 1000 lb mixer to haul. Tons of sand and sacks of cement. A ForkLift, 2000 dollar bricksaw. A $30 trowel and $35 brick hammer, push 600 to 1400 brick a day in the wall and troweling all the cement necessary to lay the brick. Have to fight a contractor or owner to get paid, have to fire and hire men etc. They won't pay any where near $50 an hour for a bricklayer and a hod carrier, and this is not even half the story. Count your blessings you bunch of sissy cry babies. LOL! Oh the job covered with plastic and a propane heater running all winter if you're lucky enough to have a winter job and 98 to 105 degrees all summer. There ain't probably a guy on this forum could cut this gig. Ha ha! I look back and wonder how in the hell did I do this crap. I must really be stupid.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online