SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#362081 - 02/24/13 09:36 AM Re: Advice about vocal processors? [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: 124
A 'chestnut' it may be, but not too shabby a chestnut, eh? Still very enjoyable.

ABSOLUTELY!!! ... no intent to slight it in the least ... one of my all time favs ...
UD is one of my SZ idols ... and they are all younger than me ... grin

#362086 - 02/24/13 10:15 AM Re: Advice about vocal processors? [Re: TedS]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony, most everyone is younger than you and I. Dave also made a statement that is so, so true. "The trick is to sound good without one." Right on the money, Dave. I'm always amazed at the number of individuals who don't sound remotely good without effects of any kind, and against all odds they believe if they buy ABC they'll sound fantastic. It ain't gonna hapen!

An example of this took place last night while performing down here in Paradise at the marine tiki hut. I had just made a number of announcements and forgotten to switch off the keyboard's talk mode. I sang about three songs with absolutely no effects other than a light touch of reverb from the TC Helicon Harmony-M. One of the songs that is always requested by my audiences is The Last Farewell. They all claim I sound just like Roger Whittaker, and some say I sound better. When I finished that song, a half-dozen ladies came up to me, thanked me for doing the song, got some hugs and kisses too.

Now, I sincerely believe that I sound better with a bit more reverb, but I don't use any other effects other than a sprinkle of harmony for some songs. The one thing I learned early on about the Harmonizer was that it sounds so wonderful when your vocals are spot on. But, it can sound so bad when those vocals are not right on the money.

As Dave clearly demonstrated, you can do a lot with more complex chords and great vocal control. Vocalists who lack that control should NOT use a vocal harmonizer. Using a vocal harmonizer is a musical skill within itself. It's a talent that requires a fair amount of dedication to both your vocal abilities, and your ability to get the most out of the vocal processor. This is NOT a plug and play device by any means. There is a significant learning curve to make everything come together and not only sound realistic, but sound fantastic as well.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#362090 - 02/24/13 10:47 AM Re: Advice about vocal processors? [Re: TedS]
Dnj Offline

big ditto Gary !

Edited by Dnj (02/24/13 10:49 AM)

#362097 - 02/24/13 12:02 PM Re: Advice about vocal processors? [Re: TedS]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, some of the ladies said I look a lot like Roger Whittaker as well. I didn't think that was the case until I took a look at this later version he performed. As usual, the ladies are right - we do look quite a bit alike.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/24/13 12:04 PM)

#362098 - 02/24/13 12:11 PM Re: Advice about vocal processors? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Donny, some of the ladies said I look a lot like Roger Whittaker as well. I didn't think that was the case until I took a look at this later version he performed. As usual, the ladies are right - we do look quite a bit alike.

Gary cool

Sure as heck its a close match..only difference is his bank account vs yours lololololol rotf2 too bad you have to leavev paradise sounds like your having a fantastic time...going back again next winter too?

#362102 - 02/24/13 01:15 PM Re: Advice about vocal processors? [Re: TedS]
travlin'easy Offline

Not heading down here again till 2014, of course that's if my health holds up. Sure hate to leave, though.

Gary cool

#362104 - 02/24/13 01:28 PM Re: Advice about vocal processors? [Re: TedS]
Dnj Offline

Leave boat....fly back.....and fly south again is that an option?

Edited by Dnj (02/24/13 01:33 PM)

#362110 - 02/24/13 02:02 PM Re: Advice about vocal processors? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

I'll keep this thread HI-JACKEDfor one more post ...
I would think keeping the boat down there would be pretty expensive, no, Gary ???

#362111 - 02/24/13 02:07 PM Re: Advice about vocal processors? [Re: sparky589]
tony mads usa Offline

"We now take you back to our 'feature' presentation ..."

Originally Posted By: sparky589
Very nicely done. I am very happy with the Digitech VL3D- their most recent tabletop unit I believe..

Digitech VL3D

Sparky ... if that's the updated Digitech Vocalist EX:

that's a great little unit ... grin

Fortunately, I do not need the "Pitch Correct" setting that is shown ... rotfl

#362117 - 02/24/13 02:37 PM Re: Advice about vocal processors? [Re: TedS]
travlin'easy Offline

You're right Tony - very, very expensive. Real estate in Paradise means big bucks, and that boat takes up a lot of real estate when sitting dry ground.

Back on topic: I thought this was their latest and greatest:

Gary cool

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online