SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#361893 - 02/20/13 05:06 PM Headphones
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
G'day folks, Question for The College of Knowledge.
As of yesterday my Technics PR903 piano only gives me mono in one ear of the headphones.
I have tried both HP jacks and other 'phones.
Before I start to pull it apart are there other possibilities or suggestions to offer?
Thanks in anticipation.
Ray dance

#361902 - 02/20/13 08:21 PM Re: Headphones [Re: The Saint]
The Saint Offline

Quick update.....it occurs intermittently when in use.Sometimes if I turn off and restart, stereo is restored.
Loose wire??? or soldered joint????????
Ray

#361909 - 02/21/13 01:19 AM Re: Headphones [Re: The Saint]
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Ray

I should eliminate the headphones first. Try them out on some other equipment. Might just be the headphones jack plug at fault.

John

#361960 - 02/21/13 04:29 PM Re: Headphones [Re: The Saint]
The Saint Offline

Hi John, tried that. Wish it was that easy. Thanks for the input.
Ray

#361977 - 02/22/13 05:09 AM Re: Headphones [Re: The Saint]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Ray,

I had this happen some time ago when using 'phones on my KN7000. It turned out to be just some deposit on the 'phones Plug or KN7000 Jack Socket.......
Try applying a little switch cleaner solution on the 'phones plug, insert the plug in your keyboard and rotate the plug a number of times to dislodge any 'muck' on the socket connections. Worth a try.............
Sometimes a deposit can be present on these connections and you can't see it, and it doesn't take much to make this type of connection fail - they are often only point contacts between the plug and socket.

#362046 - 02/23/13 04:50 PM Re: Headphones [Re: Bill Norrie]
The Saint Offline

G'day Bill, you may have solved the problem. 'Tis working OK so far. I had some solvent left over from trying to fix the SD slot (which still plays up) and the 'phones have not failed since.
This Forum rarely fails. Many thanks.
Ray dance grin

#362047 - 02/23/13 05:01 PM Re: Headphones [Re: The Saint]
Bill Norrie Offline

Glad to help Ray smile It's often the simple things which cause the most problems.........

#362058 - 02/24/13 02:03 AM Re: Headphones [Re: The Saint]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Does switch cleaner work for the SD Slot as well Bill?

#362062 - 02/24/13 04:59 AM Re: Headphones [Re: RMepstead]
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Rog,
I would be a bit wary of squirting cleaning fluid into the SD Card slot...... Are you experiencing a problem ?? If so, are you sure it is not a faulty SD Card? I've come across a couple in the past ten years or so......
I've never had any 'connection' problems in that area and I am continually changing cards. Many of the SD Card slots which I have seen (cameras, Laptops, SD Reader/Writers etc.) appear to have gold plated contacts - as do the SD Cards - so corrosion is liable to be less of a problem. Also, bear in mind that there is a 'wiping action' on the contacts, every time you insert and remove a card, which should help to keep the contact surfaces free from corrosion.
If you really feel that it is necessary to clean the contacts, you could apply a little switch cleaner to the contacts of the SD Card and insert and remove the card a few times in the KN7000 SD Card slot.
The problem Ray had with the 'phones connection is a bit different since the KN7000 jack socket will not be gold plated and I doubt if his 'phones plug is gold plated ! (although some of the high quality 'phones do have gold plated plugs...)
Unless the 'phones are in continuous use - being plugged in and out - there is liable to be a build up of atmospheric contamination on the jack plug and/or socket.

#362069 - 02/24/13 07:11 AM Re: Headphones [Re: The Saint]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Mmmm thanks Bill - I think I'll leave well alone.
I change SD Cards regularly during an evening's performance with the girls and I noticed on friday that the usual push down of the SD Card into the slot and it stays down rather than pop up again wasn't always happening...like the recepticle in the slot was a bit stiff and unaccepting!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online