SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#361879 - 02/20/13 12:53 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ah, the musician vs the entertainer issue. I'm NOT an entertainer...don't even try. But I certainly don't go without clothes or enough to eat.

It's all a question of degree. Looks like it is possible for an "entertainer" to work 300 one hour nursing home jobs a year and clear $30,000-40,000.00. That may be all the work one can handle in a year.

My residuals for my top 10 commercials are considerably more than that annually. Sound scores pay $1,000.00 a finished minute.

My 4 one week trips to Dubai pay almost 4 time that.

In my case, I have more brains than talent. I know how to get paid for work that I'm proud of.

In this area, the entertainers who do things like nursing homes are the bottom of the talent pool. They couldn't beg
a well paying dinner gig, spot as a feature with the Philharmonic or get hired for events, like the governors office, the president of fortune 500 companies or the like.

Top musicians work all the time and get paid well for the effort. Of course, they have to be more than adequate and have the skills to market their product.

And, if they're like me (not that I claim to be a top musician, like my friend Rory or others)they are less than amused at the so called entertainers who couldn't play their way out of a paper bag.

There's a pride and brotherhood among musicians. That unspoken communication when you're "trading fours" or sharing innovations on a lead line is rare....a life-changer.

Whether you're a musician or an entertainer (it's rare to find someone who is both), you need to do your job with a sense of "prideful accomplishment".

If you're a musical entertainer, at least learn to play in more than one key and learn more than simple three chord changes.

And, if you're a musician, realize that you have to be the top in your field to really do well.

Plus, always remember that the audience does not spend 10 hours a day listening and studying music like you do.

NEVER LOOK DOWN AT THOSE WHO PAY THE BILL. But, NEVER sell out (whatever that means to you).

Don't play yourself out of a job, Find some way to get paid for your talent other than playing live.

I respect good entertainers. I just don't ever want to be one.

Russ

#361880 - 02/20/13 01:05 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: jamman]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Very good Musician...Korg Pro Sounds Great...But I think that Sound synth sound module connected under his keyboard sure looks like a Roland JV-1080 can be expanded(4 expansion bds) or a JV-2080 (8 expansion bds)...I just played the video's quickly...Some Organs, Guitars,and Grand Piano's sounded Roland to Me!...What's Your opinion?

#361882 - 02/20/13 01:49 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ

I respect good entertainers. I just don't ever want to be one.
Russ

Russ ... when you are playing and your audience is enjoying your music, aren't you 'entertaining' them? ... so in that sense aren't you an 'entertainer'? ...
IMHO, a good musician IS an entertainer ... but an entertainer may not be a good musician ...

To me, the key is satisfying your audience, however you choose to do it, and be whatever you want to be called ...
And it has NOTHING to do with how much money we make or how we make it ...
AND, working nursing home gigs and the like DOES NOT automatically put one at the bottom of the talent pool ... I know of your work in the area of senior care etc. so I am NOT referring to you when I say that if that IS the case, then perhaps it would be nice if the 'REAL MUSICIANS' would play some nursing home gigs as well ...
smile

Edited by tony mads usa (02/20/13 01:50 PM)

#361883 - 02/20/13 01:54 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

To get back on track ... I see that the fellow in the vids is also selling CDs ... I have seen that fairly often, and there are certain subway stations in NYC where there is always someone playing an instrument for tips and many are selling CDs as well ...
A friend of mine from NY has told me you have to apply for a permit to work these 'gigs' and there is quite a waiting list ...

#361889 - 02/20/13 03:01 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tony, I'm not an entertainer in the sense that I will NOT concentrate on meaningless banter and have the selection of tunes I play restricted by my inability to play the more challenging materials.

I believe those who are in other ares and who play nursing homes are probably players of an acceptable (not embarrassing) level, but around here, those who do that kind of work are literally the bottom of the barrel, talent-wise. Most NEVER had enough ability to work lounges, restaurants,
organizational functions, etc. At first, when I was a caregiver for two family members, I thought it was neat that several really weak amateurs volunteered at the nursing homes I visited. Then I found out that they were paid and I could not believe it. When I became involved in Nursing Home reform, I was shocked to find out that there were no talented people in the rotation.

It's kind of like these folk excuse their lack of ability by
believing that they bring so much pleasure to the audience and talk about their sincerity. Believe me, that's a poor justification for what these people do.

I think in Lexington, the residents of nursing homers deserve better. To a person, the folks who entertain in this venue are AWFUL!

I certainly hope this is not the case in other parts of the country.

I prefer to work in the area of Nursing Home Reform and to raise money for the Habitat Project in New Orleans for older, displaced musicians.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (02/20/13 03:15 PM)

#361894 - 02/20/13 05:17 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
To a person, the folks who entertain in this venue are AWFUL!
Russ

Russ, that really is too bad for the NH residents in Lexington ...
From my experience here in RI I am pleased to say that is not the case ... now maybe a number of the people who entertain in NH up here are not 'top notch' jazz players, but for the most part they are people who have - and many still do - make a good dollar playing clubs -including jazz clubs - and restaurants in the area as members of trios on up and can cover many different styles of music ...
I have said before, that one of the first things that impressed me when I moved to RI was the number of quality musicians in this area ... Fortunately many of them avail themselves to working the NH circuit as well ...

#361895 - 02/20/13 05:20 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: jamman]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Are there any legal professionals on this forum.

I want to sue Russ for plagiarism. His first post sounds like he's done a lot of research of some of my old post. As a matter of fact the way it starts, I thought he just copied and pasted my stuff. He makes plenty of money, I don't think his family is very big and I really need the cash. Lawyers usually charge 30%, I will split 50% if we can win a case here.

Call me I don't want to wait for an email or snail mail OK?

#361897 - 02/20/13 06:06 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: jamman]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
On a more serious note. Is the video camera recording the sound? I had a friend do a video of me in the park and the sound quality left a lot to be desired. It just didn't pick me up as good as this video does. Of course we had crowd talking and noise too.

#361898 - 02/20/13 06:23 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: jamman]
Dnj Offline

Boo post that video?

#361899 - 02/20/13 06:36 PM Re: PA1x pro on the street [Re: jamman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ,

In this part of the world, many of the top entertainers are currently performing the NH circuit. We've all done the nite-club/restaurant circuit, many of performing 5 nights a week in the top restaurants/clubs. I personally know of at least two Peabody trained arranger keyboard players that play the NH circuit, and when the Glenn Miller Band and Dorsey Brothers Band comes to the area, they are among the first musician/entertainers called. The bottom of the heap? I don't think so! These are the best of the best.

Now maybe in beautiful downtown Lexington the restaurants and clubs pay big bucks, but that's definitely not the case anywhere I've been in the past 50 years. And, lets face it - do you think those people in Dubai DON'T want to be entertained? Cmon! That's why they hired you in the first place.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online