SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#361776 - 02/19/13 11:30 AM Just two weeks left in Paradise...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
A massive cold front ripped through the Florida Keys two days ago, bringing rain and rapidly falling temperatures. This morning, temperature was a brisk 61 degrees at sunrise. Thankfully, the boat has a great heat-pump that kept the boat nice and comfy.

By noon, the temperature had moderated to 77 degrees, perfect for riding the bicycle to Publics and a quick stop at the local liquor store to restock the Green Coconut Margaretta components.

After lunch, the wind was still howling, but there were still things to see and do. Aiding a lady in distress was the first order of business. She had just returned from the grocery store with a load of fresh produce and fresh caught fish fillets, all of which were sitting in plastic bags in the bottom of her dinghy. Problem was her outboard motor was flooded and try as she may, it would not start. It took me a few minutes to diagnose the problem and get the engine fired up. She was a happy sailor, gave me a hug and kiss, then shoved off across the harbor. Story of my life - the good looking, young gals always seem to leave you standing at the dock. wink

Sunsets are spectacular here, as well as the sunrises, which I never seem to get out of bed early enough to witness. And, of course, there are lots of neat people here to photograph as well. During the last 30 minutes of daylight I snapped the photos below.

Wednesday nights at the Marathon City Marina's Tiki Hut are reserved for Meet & Greet, a get together where folks get to meet newcomers to the harbor and u s oldsters get to fire up the marina's grills and show off our culinary skills. I'll be at Sombrero Resort playing music for their Happy Hour, rocking the house with the PSR-3000.

Unfortunately, there's just under two weeks before I have to head north for the Chesapeake's nearly frozen upper reaches. Brrrrr!

The view from the Tiki Hut is pretty spectacular, particularly when perusing the adjacent harbor.

Over the years there has been a lot of sailors from all parts of the globe that stopped in Marathon - some just stuck around for a decade or two and others left signs.

Captain Jack, who just turned 91, is a permanent fixture at the marina, still rides his bike every day, still hits on the ladies, and lives aboard his 28-foot sailboat. Jack came here more than two decades ago.

When most folks come to the marina from their mooring balls, they're often accompanied by children, and or pets. These are some happy youngsters and they love sailing.

The pets are always happy to come ashore, especially the dogs. They have one thing in mind at least three times a day, therefore while underway they're always at the bow of the dinghy. You can almost hear them saying "C'mon, go faster, I gotta pee bad."

Flowers abound on the island, and after just one day of rain they burst into bloom, even from what appears to be a nearly dead plant growing out of the rocks.

As I stated at the onset, sunsets here are phenomenal to say the least. These were shot from the ramp leading down to the dinghy dock.

[img]http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae216/travlin_easy/DSC00040.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae216/travlin_easy/DSC00042.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae216/travlin_easy/DSC00043.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae216/travlin_easy/DSC00044.jpg[/img]

About the camera: The above photos were shot with a 12-year-old Sony Mavica CD-1000 digital camera. It's only 2.1 megapixel, but the lens is fantastic - 20:1 zoom.

More to come,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#361777 - 02/19/13 11:47 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Gary. Nice read & Photo's. Suggest you try to extend your stay as it looks ideal and you feel better for the nice break.

Best wishes from UK.

#361780 - 02/19/13 12:00 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Wish I could stay longer, Graham. Unfortunately, the music calendar is filled to capacity beginning April 13. The trip home should be fun, though.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#361781 - 02/19/13 12:25 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Gary, I hope no one clicks on your post...with only dial up internet smile

Let me know when you are to arrive home...I like to be there when your wife greets you at the door.. grin

#361782 - 02/19/13 12:28 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
The trip home should be fun, though.
Cheers,
Gary cool

I just want to know how much FUN it is when you try to walk through the door!!! duel

I notice there were no photos of the "damsel in distress" ... laugh2

#361783 - 02/19/13 12:34 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Fran ... I notice we are on the same wave length ...
grin

#361784 - 02/19/13 12:34 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
zuki Offline

I was in a little funk with the weather here in Michigan and now I'm depressed.....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#361785 - 02/19/13 12:36 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

[quo rotf2 te=tony mads usa]
The trip home should be fun, though.
Cheers,
Gary cool

I just want to know how much FUN it is when you try to walk through the door!!! duel

I notice there were no photos of the "damsel in distress" ... laugh2 [/quote]

#361795 - 02/19/13 02:56 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Carol will either welcome me with open arms, or a double barrel shotgun. I talk with her every day and night, and I think I'm softening her up a bit, but I'm never really sure about that aspect. wink What the heck, you would think that after a half century of putting up with my antics she would be used to them by now. NAH!

Gary cool

#361805 - 02/19/13 06:37 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

What the heck, you would think that after a half century of putting up with my antics she would be used to them by now. NAH!
Gary cool

Lydia has put up with my antics 9 months shy of 50 years ... antics is one thing ... sailing off on my own for 5-6 months??? ... NAH!!! ...or should I say NO WAY!!! grin

#361806 - 02/19/13 06:52 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Hmmmmmm! Maybe I shouldn't go home, after-all. Might end up dead. Nah! She still loves me. And, Tony, what's that old saying "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." I'll take bets on open arms - and it will be 7 months by the time I get home. smile

Gary cool

#361810 - 02/19/13 07:25 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just tell her about the brutal headwinds, and why you had to stay... LOL

#361838 - 02/20/13 04:18 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Rfinnshw Offline

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Capt. Gary,

Thanks for your update, and the beautiful pics.

I really admire your ambition.

Ron, Port St. Lucie, FL

clap

#361855 - 02/20/13 09:19 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: Rfinnshw]
tony mads usa Offline

Gary ... just wondering - what is your play list when you are playing down there? ...

#361866 - 02/20/13 10:49 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

There is no specific list, but I usually perform about a half-dozen Jimmy Buffett songs, Margarettaville, A Pirate Looks At 40, He Went To Paris, Come Monday, Pencil Thin Mustache, Fins.

Lots of 50s, 60s, 70s, slow rock for the dancers, an Elvis medley, a fair number of upbeat 60s, 70s stuff, some CCR, Fats Domino favorites, Chubby Checkers favorites, etc... I'll mix it up with lots of country favorites, some bluegrass, Rockytop, Devil Went Down To Georgia, Good Hearted Woman, and of course, some island music. Usually, about the middle of the job, when the crowd has downed a few happy hour drinks, I'll do Hot Hot Hot, which frequently creates a large conga line that snakes through the poolside seating and the bar area. Essentially, I play what they want to hear and dance to.

Ironically, from northern Maryland to Marathon, Florida, the audiences tend to want to hear the same type of music. Granted, the songs vary, but the style and age of the songs are about the same everywhere I've traveled. I suspect it's the same in New England, the midwest and southwest as well. California, I'm not quite sure about, but I'm guessing that in the northern part of the state it would be about the same. And I know that Oregon and Washington are no different than the mid-Atlantic region. When I lived in Spokane, WA country music dominated the scene, probably more so than Bossier City, LA. If you can play and sing country, you're not going to have a problem pretty much everywhere you perform.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#361869 - 02/20/13 11:15 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Ironically, I play for a large Parrothead organization once a month up here, but only perform a few Buffett tunes. Margaritaville (of course!), Volcano, Havana Daydreaming, Pirate, things like that.

I've got a bunch more, but oddly enough, the organizers have often come to me and said that they enjoy that I don't play a lot of Buffett! Who knew?! A Parrothead bunch that don't want to hear Buffett constantly!

I'm in Heaven!

#361871 - 02/20/13 11:20 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

I agree, Diki. I think the same holds true everywhere, even down here in Parrot-Head land.

Gary cool

#361881 - 02/20/13 01:26 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: Diki]
Rfinnshw Offline

Diki,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Parrothead organization.

I would never have guessed that they would request that you not play a lot of "Buffett music."

I would be in heaven too.

Ron
headphone

#361890 - 02/20/13 03:08 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: Rfinnshw]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Be like me, guys...just refuse to play it! I get lots of calls from places who want me because I don't do Buffet, and that's all most other folks do.

Not me!

Russ

#361892 - 02/20/13 03:38 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Russ,
I don't blame you - Jimmy Buffett doesn't ever play YOUR songs either!
smile

#361900 - 02/20/13 06:38 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Ditto! smile

Edited by travlin'easy (02/20/13 06:38 PM)

#361901 - 02/20/13 07:44 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

TBH Russ, there's nothing specifically bad about Buffett other than its over-use in some areas. And that sin can be found in most places, with most musics!

If I have to play Fly Me to the Moon one more time! stop I know there are Juliard trained classical guys that roll their eyes if Beethoven's 5th Symphony gets on the season's agenda... rolleyes

The greatest music in the world can make anyone sick with over-use. Not that I'm claiming Jimmy is the greatest music in the world, but it ain't the worst either! He's got a bunch of album cuts that are decent, they just didn't make the hit parade..!

#361911 - 02/21/13 01:53 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: captain Russ]
Rfinnshw Offline

Capt. Russ,

Glad to hear you don't do Buffet.... I thought I was the only one!

Ron

stop

#361931 - 02/21/13 08:40 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: Rfinnshw]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Diki, I know what you mean about "Fly Me To The Moon".

I USED to love it, 5,000 or so performances ago.

UD and Gary, Buffet couldn't play any of my tunes. Way too many changes.

Not that he'd ever want to . He's way too rich and successful to ever give a damn.

R.

#361937 - 02/21/13 09:53 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Diki, I know what you mean about "Fly Me To The Moon".
I USED to love it, 5,000 or so performances ago.
R.

But I'll Bet the next time you play it, it won't
sound like the LAST time you played it ... grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online