SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#360873 - 02/09/13 10:33 AM Does anything beat an iPad?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I am at the point, no need to wait any longer -- get an iPad. This would be for lyrics at gigs. Plus, to use for general business use. I am tempted to stick with an actual Apple iPad instead of another product due to a lot of cool iPad apps being written for musicians. Heck, I would think even recording on an iPad is now pretty advanced.

Or, has anyone found another model they like a lot?

Also, any idea where I can buy one cheapest? I would like to buy local but don't have to. If there is significant savings online, I'd probably do that.

I also gotta figure out how much memory to get.

#360879 - 02/09/13 11:01 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic

I also gotta figure out how much memory to get.

As much as you can afford!!! Trust me you WILL use it wink

Dennis

#360884 - 02/09/13 11:42 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: miden]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bill,
I have been using my Ipad for several years now and would not consider anything else as long as my eyes hold out. The screen is big enough and clear enough to see everything very well and the extras that the Ipad can do will pay off for you. My wife also has and Ipad and I can't get the thing out of her hands. I have the 64 Gig version, Glenda the 16 Gig version and she wishes she had the 64. Now Apple has the 128 gig version too.

Bill, Apple doesn't allow stores to discount any of their products. The prices will be the same all over.

Go for it - you won't be sorry.
Deane

Edited by hammer (02/09/13 11:43 AM)

#360885 - 02/09/13 12:16 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Apple, Apple, Apple.
It's amazing - never crashes, fun to use, easy to sync and load.
SO many music apps - Garage band is only $5!

#360905 - 02/09/13 04:38 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
For music the iPad rules at present, however for everything else Android is cheaper and way better than Apple.

iTunes is a lock in system, so unless you really need it, avoid it like the plague.

Finally remember you’re paying Apple for the design, performance wise you can get the same for a third of the price. (As with all Macs)

Warning: iPads and iPhones have been heavily targeted by hackers, so make sure you have the latest version (And updates) to prevent loss of personal information.

Hope this helps

Bill

#360907 - 02/09/13 04:59 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: abacus]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
For music the iPad rules at present, however for everything else Android is cheaper and way better than Apple.

Warning: iPads and iPhones have been heavily targeted by hackers, so make sure you have the latest version (And updates) to prevent loss of personal information.

Hope this helps

Bill

Bill, for the first that is so subjective it is not funny, as for the second - ONLY for those silly people who choose to "jailbreak" their iphone or ipad..

DEnnis

#360909 - 02/09/13 05:34 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
abacus Offline

1. Very few manufactures are making music software and hardware for anything other than the iPad, (Hence it rules) as for the rest of the software, find me anyone that isn’t an Apple junkie that puts iOS above the competition.

2. Like Windows on PCs the iPad/phone is the most popular out there, hence like Windows it is the main target for hackers. (Apple is also renowned in the security industry for dragging their feet in issuing security patches)

3. Remember the more popular something is, the more it will be targeted by hackers, hence the iPad/Phone is under constant attack. (Just like Windows is on PCs)

Bill

#360910 - 02/09/13 06:10 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
miden Offline

Sure can - me

I use a Windows 7 DAW/General PC, a Windows 8 laptop tablet/hybrid and have done (used Microsoft OS software since DOS 2 smile )

I also tried Android for a few months with an Android tablet, and I found it buggy, unstable, SOOOOO easy to get infected apps, and the lack of music apps is marked...this is well known. Oh and it was a very recent Android OS, ICS in fact!!

Manufacturers are slow -VERY slow to provided Android OS updates (as in ICS to Jelly Bean for example) I know of several ICS Android tablet owners that have been told unequivocally there is NO Jelly Bean update being provided (big name tablet makers too).

I reiterate rather strongly that the ONLY attacks that can be made on iPad/ or iphone are for those idiots who Jailbreak.

For those who do not know, Jailbreaking is where you download and install a 3rd part iOS system that "breaks" all the security mesaures put in place by Apple on all software and apps.

An app needs to go through about 3 months of Apple factory testing before it is released to the store.

No such thin with Android. Write an app, fill it with malicious code and you can immediately list on the Google Play Store.

And they cover themselves with the ubiquitous "download at your own risk" laugh

Nah, Apple iOS is sop far ahead it is not funny...

Sorry Bill for disagreeing, but that's life smile

Dennis

#360926 - 02/10/13 02:13 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
abacus Offline

As I said for music there is no substitute other than the iPad at present, and so is the one to go for, but just remember it is a closed system.

As to what I prefer to use, it is android for phone (As you’re not tied down and dictated to like you are with iOS) and iOS for Tablet, (Purely because it is the only platform with decent music apps and hardware) as I find it is the best compromise at the current time.

As to security, type “security breaches in iOS” into Google.

Bill

#360927 - 02/10/13 02:57 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I got my first iPad the day it was released Saturday April 3, 2010. My wife was very upset with me that day, she had to go to a bridal shower and would not be home when the UPS man delivered our 2 iPads. laugh

I can't add anything more to what's already been written because everyone who wrote positive reviews said it all. I'll only add that buy the largest storage capacity device you can afford.

You may want to consider a model with cellular data connection versus the wifi only model, comes in handy and there are no long term contracts to sign with Verizon, AT&T or Sprint.

#360933 - 02/10/13 06:10 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
billyhank Offline

I love my Ipad, but how in the h--- do you transfer files from the PC to the Ipad and the other way too???

Bill G

#360936 - 02/10/13 06:24 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

I am still very hesitant on purchasing an Ipad as I am a PC lap top kind of guy and don't see what benefits the iPad gives me that I cant do with my laptop at this time? especially on stage....also my cell Phone is Android powered.......
I did have the iPhone 4S but after a few months sold it also & went back to my Android smart phone. I wish someone would enlighten me unless I'm missing something? I'm just not convinced with the iPad/Mac products so far,......90% of my friends don't own Apple products also....there must be a reason?
Maybe in 10 years things will change.

#360948 - 02/10/13 07:13 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: BBBB]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: BBBB
Donny:
It's all about portability with the Ipad. Most users are using it for email and surfing the net and now as ebook reader. You are correct in that for your needs there is nothing that you can do with an IPad or any other IOS or Android device that you could not do with a laptop (in my opinion). Hey, I don't work for Apple! I switched to a Macbook Pro in 2007 when someone showed me that Macs had the Intel chip and could run Windows applications. When my my main PC fried I got the IMac 27inch for heavy duty work. Still use that Macbook Pro but not as much as I used to. I have Windows XP Pro with Office on that machine and use it primarily for back up. I can sit in my living room with my IPad and control my TV with the darn thing! My wife just got the mini instead of KOBO and she just loves it! If I feel like Skyping someone I don't leave my chair to file up a desktop or laptop. Do the research as you always say do what works for you. Enjoy your tech!

Cheers!
Brian

Brian thanx for the opinions,.....I guess for "on the go" my Android Smart phone does it all for my needs,.......
check emails, text, internet, Facebook, Gps, games, Skype, etc, etc, but oin stage always my Lenovo Pc Notebook. The fact that Mac can run Pc programs intrigues me also that's a nice feature.

#360962 - 02/10/13 09:31 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Stephenm52 Offline

FWIW, I also am using a Galaxy Note II smart phone that runs Android and has a 5.5 inch screen very cool device and would not go back to an iPhone as this point. I love Apple products but this Andorid has it's pluses.

Edited by Stephenm52 (02/10/13 09:59 AM)

#360964 - 02/10/13 10:28 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: Stephenm52]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52
FWIW, I also am using a Galaxy Note II smart phone that runs Android and has a 5.5 inch screen very cool device and would not go back to an iPhone as this point. I love Apple products but this Andorid has it's pluses.

I love the idea of having a large screen but it seems that would be a ridiculous size to carry in my jeans pocket. And I am usually in jeans. What about the size? Do you think your phone is superior to iPhone5?

#360966 - 02/10/13 10:34 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
For years I avoided Apple because of the inability to run music apps I was used to and price.

I have had laptops, netbooks, and Musicpad Pro for leadsheets and audio backing tracks.

The MPP was good for lyrics, but heavy and clunky. The netbooks didn't have the audio quality of my ipad, the lyrics were too small, and I didn't like the looks of a clunky laptop between me and my audience.

My ipad is on an adapter threaded onto an Onstage mini boom attached to my stand. It swings and swivels to any position. I choose to sit high, and the audience barely sees it.

I use Unrealbook for leadsheets, and I can switch immediately to Karaoke Anywhere for the vocals I do from audio.

I consider myself very frugal as far as the price I pay for something. In this case, it pays to get the best, which is ipad.

Edited by Bernie9 (02/10/13 10:36 AM)

#360975 - 02/10/13 12:23 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Stephenm52 Offline

I love the idea of having a large screen but it seems that would be a ridiculous size to carry in my jeans pocket. And I am usually in jeans. What about the size? Do you think your phone is superior to iPhone5?

Bill, I picked up the Note II knowing that if I didn't work out Verizon has a 14 day return policy and I could go back to my iPhone 4s. I thought phone could be too big for the pockets in jeans. I knew the casual pants I wear at work would be fine. No problem at all fitting in the jeans pocket. It's great with a large screen, the iPhone now seems like a dwarf in comparison.

check this you tube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daDBBU_r3MM

No I don't think it's one is superior to the other, I got tired of the same OS after having an iPhone for 3 years, I wanted a change. My wife wouldn't switch to Android if I gave her money to switch, she likes the iPhones ease of use, it is more user friendly than Android. They are both great devices, just personal preference at this point.

Bernie, very well said!

Edited by Stephenm52 (02/10/13 12:24 PM)

#360979 - 02/10/13 12:37 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Apps... what matters other than that?

What's the point of putting down a closed system, when it has the most content? If being 'open' resulted in a vast superiority in available, high quality music apps, then it would be an advantage. But when it isn't, where's the advantage?

#360984 - 02/10/13 01:29 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm old fashioned - I still use a netbook PC, 9-inch screen. It does everything, and I don't have to squint to read the lyrics and tabs. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#360988 - 02/10/13 01:52 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I'm old fashioned - I still use a netbook PC, 9-inch screen. It does everything, and I don't have to squint to read the lyrics and tabs. wink

Gary cool

clap

#360989 - 02/10/13 02:33 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: travlin'easy]
miden Offline

Gary cool

Yep neither do we on the high res ipads either wink wink

#360992 - 02/10/13 02:45 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
To each his own, of course, but as far as squinting is concerned, I can see the notes and lyrics better on the ipad because of the crystal clear retina image, and the fact that it is one foot from my face. I couldn't do that with the others without hiding my face to the audience. It extends a foot in and 5 inches above the keys, tilted up, so just a glance down is all I need.

Not saying mine is better,necessarily, but it sure works for me, and my eyesight sure ain't 20/20 anymore, by a long shot.

Edited by Bernie9 (02/10/13 02:47 PM)

#360993 - 02/10/13 02:54 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

What about the size?

Size MATTERS ... no matter what they say ... rotfl

#361046 - 02/11/13 07:54 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Years ago a friend helped me with PC problems. He said if I stayed with IBM compatible I'd have neighbors who could help me. He said if I got apple he could not help me and neither would neighbors be able to help out. He said I would have to pay "BIG" bucks for an Apple geek techie.

1. Is this still true? Cause I still don't have big bucks!!

2. I was just yesterday reading a comparison of "Kindle" Vs Ipad. It even claimed that "Kindle" had a much better Picture or what ever the technical term is.

3. Does Kimble indeed not do the things that Ipad does. I saw a friends Kindle yesterday and was impressed.

Hey, at least help me out here. It will still be a while for me, but I still enjoy doing research. I'm hep to the fact that some of these folks writing articles are probably being paid for a favorable review.

I'm the sort that believes that the Universities are getting paid by Folger's and the rest to tell folks to drink 6 cups of coffee a day because it fights against alzheimer's, cancer and a million other things because of the amino acids in coffee.

Most things today could be a lie. It's all about what the Bible calls "GREED."

I really would like to know about the Kindle Vs Ipad.

#361050 - 02/11/13 08:23 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
billyhank Offline

I have both the Apple Ipad 3 and the Android tablet(Thrive) and I like both of them. I cant see a bit of difference between them regarding the display quality, tho the Ipad is supposed to be twice the resolution.

Laid on the side, the Thrive is one inch wider, but one quarter inch lower in height. The big plus about the Android is that you can use it just like a PC as far as plugging in USB sticks and having easy access to your files and moving files from tablet to PC. Unfortunately, the instrument manufacturers have embraced the Apple and they are producing apps for the Apple, but not the Android.

I do not know about the latest Kindle tablet, but the earlier were very limited.

I have not yet seen any reviews of the Microsoft tablet - maybe it will be a good way to go.

Bill

#361054 - 02/11/13 09:07 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: billyhank]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
There IS a reason why the good majority at least all the better music software is designed for apple.
Its a little thing called latency. Apple is way ahead in handling latency issues such as found in midi.
There are many wonderful music apps for Ipad that you do not get with android.

If you just need it for viewing lyrics either will work, but for midi apps I'll stick to apple until android can catch up.

#361057 - 02/11/13 10:09 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: BBBB]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I bought an pad and the Unreal Music App. It works great -- BUT---- I find my laptop does a much better job for lyrics and note written music.

My reasons.

1-I use a note writing program and if I wish to make any changes all I do is the make the changes; which includes transposing and press save – done.

2-When I open a page with a written song; on that same page I can add up to 10 songs and retrieve them with one click (On that same page) each page can be written as a set of songs.

3-I do the same with lyrics – more than one song when I open a file – page down and I go to the next song.

4-I use the VanBasco program for midi, it fills my needs. My Pa800 can play midi or Mp3. VanBasco displays the lyrics in a full screen and I can change the Key, Tempo, and Volume of each song and place the changes into the memory. It also saves any track I want deleted.

5-I use an Excel sheet to display over a 120 songs many of which have 3 to 6 songs embedded. That’s well over 160 songs – just one click and I am there. I have 3 different Excel sheets for different venues.

John C

#361058 - 02/11/13 10:15 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

If you get a Mac, you don't NEED a tech geek! They just work...

I still have no virus programs, pop-up blockers or any of that PC stuff. 15+ years on broadband, not a single piece of malware yet.

Time Machine makes automatic backups a no brainer, they simply are the computer 'for the rest of us'.

Their included apps (full apps, not trialware that bugs you with popups even after you get the full program!) are designed so that you don't need to be a geek to use them.

And, push comes to shove, and you GOTS to run Windows programs, they will either run Windows in a shell inside OSX, or you can simply boot them up so they ARE a full Windows machine (there goes your security, mind you!). Two for the price of one...

Still waiting for Windows to be able to pull THAT trick off!

#361059 - 02/11/13 10:18 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

I still have no virus programs, pop-up blockers or any of that PC stuff. 15+ years on broadband, not a single piece of malware yet.

Time Machine makes automatic backups a no brainer, they simply are the computer 'for the rest of us'.

Their included apps (full apps, not trialware that bugs you with popups even after you get the full program!) are designed so that you don't need to be a geek to use them.

And, push comes to shove, and you GOTS to run Windows programs, they will either run Windows in a shell inside OSX, or you can simply boot them up so they ARE a full Windows machine (there goes your security, mind you!). Two for the price of one...

If Macs are so good why is it that the majority of computer users use PC?

#361061 - 02/11/13 10:59 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

#361062 - 02/11/13 11:02 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

If Macs are so good why is it that the majority of computer users use PC?

Cost is one factor:

HP Desktop Starting at $549

Lowest Priced iMac Starts At $1299.

There's more reasons but I'm guessing a $700 plus price spread eliminates many buyers. You can buy 2 Hp Desktops for the price of one iMac.

Apple laptops are pricey too, but it's quality all the way.

#361065 - 02/11/13 12:54 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

Price, apps, market share, corporate domination.

Thing is, TCO (total cost of operation) over the life of your computer, start adding up those geek shop visits, having to BUY the majority of your apps (if you want well supported pro quality ones), the risk to your data of malware, the risk to your data of being hacked, there's a case to be made that, if you keep your computer for any length of time, the Apple computers start to end up not as expensive as initial cost makes them seem.

If you are fairly geeky yourself, and know how to keep a PC system humming along at its best, if you know how to edit the register, control the background processes, and all the other important tasks to keep your PC worry free and running, you may be good to go. But OTOH, how many TV adds you seen for services and software (none of which are cheap) to speed your Mac up?

None. Doesn't need them.

Mac's are for people that would rather concentrate on the TASK, than the tool that performs the task.

#361066 - 02/11/13 12:59 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Gee, I guess I should donate my 7-year-old laptop to Florida's Artificial Reef Program. wink Nah! I'll just call Eddie Shoemaker when I'm in over my head. smile Of course, Eddie calls me once in while to solve problems on older PCs.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#361070 - 02/11/13 01:22 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: Stephenm52]
Diki Offline

That's a no display HP tower compared to a full system on the iMac. Maybe this cute little thing is more a direct comparison? http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/ the $799 one is quad core Intel.

So we're looking at more like a $200 difference, not a $700 one. Not to mention, with wi-fi, USB3, HDMI and Thunderbolt connectivity, you are good to go.

#361072 - 02/11/13 01:24 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Does anything beat an Ipad?" My grandson will, if there's one around. He'll beat on anything.
DonM

#361078 - 02/11/13 02:04 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Yep, cost is the major thing, else, I would already have been using an Apple computer.

#361081 - 02/11/13 02:08 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

Take a good look at those Mac Mini's then... superb little computer in a tiny footprint. And affordable.

#361084 - 02/11/13 02:17 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
miden Offline

wink As long as you have a monitor and mouse/keyboard to go with it Diki...

I have been looking at one recently, they are a nice bit of gear. If I did not have so much tied up in Windows audio software, I might be tempted..

DEnnis

#361085 - 02/11/13 02:24 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

price is one thing, but does the cost warrant what a computer does in the everyday world for the consumers using it?....they both compute and by the sales the masses have spoken on the PC vs Mac scenario. Most just say to themselves what does the extra cost do for ME if I buy a mac? maybe I'm like you G70 guys when it comes to a PC...I'm still running WIN XP and it does all I need even though it's almost 8 years old..in fact I have 4 of them.... wink

Edited by Dnj (02/11/13 02:29 PM)

#361093 - 02/11/13 02:47 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

LOL, Donny... I use a 2001 Mac Quicksilver for my sequencing and audio needs (although I am strongly considering finally moving to OSX and my iMac 27"). All my hardware uses PCI slots (the original ones!) and no adapter has been made to use them with PCIe or PCI-x. So my UAD and MOTU stuff has to be used with this relic..!

Mind you, well over 48 tracks of 24/48 audio is easily doable with full effects and MIDI. If you need more than this, you are overdoing it! Beatles made do with four tracks... (on much of their stuff)

I think the reason that despite the cost, I always recommend Mac's to musicians is that many of them don't WANT to be geeks. Most of them simply want the computer as the tool for music production. Having to deal with anything else is not why they want one. My experience with Mac's has always been trouble free (other than the usual HD issues, which anyone gets no matter what platform you are on if you push your HD's hard like full audio production does). I have had the time to concentrate on the software alone, and that piece of mind and lack of worry is worth quite a lot of money in the long run.

I don't want a computer. I want a DAW. I want a video editor. I want some VSTi's. Mac's make the computer almost invisible. You simply use the software. Brilliant!

#361095 - 02/11/13 02:54 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

about 2,3 years ago I SERIOUSLY looked an an iMac - full spec'd model, about $3k...

Then after investigation with developers found I would need to spend approximately $1200-1800 on replacing my audio software to get it to the same level as what I had for Windows (which had been collected over several years) ...

The iMac sure was tempting, but when the additional costs were taken into account it was just too much...and then add to that the learning curve of OSx ...

Dennis

#361097 - 02/11/13 02:56 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

Another big reason people use PC more is that there is more programs made for it.

#361099 - 02/11/13 03:14 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

I suspect that 99-percent of the members of this forum would find this would be all they need to do just about anything. And the price is right - just $369 and everything is included.

Laptop

Or you could spend $1,199 and buy an Apple

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/11/13 03:19 PM)

#361100 - 02/11/13 03:21 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

I suspect that 99-percent of the members of this forum would find this would be all they need to do just about anything. And the price is right - just $369 and everything is included.

Laptop

Cheers,

Gary cool

cool2

#361113 - 02/11/13 03:44 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Laptop

Cheers,

Gary cool

Nothing wrong with an Asus laptop!

#361114 - 02/11/13 03:48 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
abacus Offline

Hi Diki

You’re at least 10 years out of date with your PC knowledge, as they just work without any problems these days. (Techs these days deal mostly with hardware problems)

NOTE: Just because you see adverts saying you need a tech to sort out your Windows software, doesn’t mean that a problems exists, but they just try and make you believe it does. (Just like a mechanic will say you need something changed on your car, when it may not necessarily be required)

Over time people amass a boatload of programs that they never use, (Something Mac users seldom do as there is not much software available for them) and the computer slows down (As would a Mac if they had the same amount of software available) but if you uninstall what you don’t need then you will be fine.

In addition most users of Windows can do virtually everything they want with free software, so they don’t need to shell out big bucks on software (Unlike Mac users).

Also if you have a Windows machine you have got considerable more chance of interacting with others, as there are more about.

Finally that Macs don’t get viruses and Malware etc. is like iPads don’t get hacked, it’s a total myth. (Just do a quick Google search if you don’t believe me or better still talk to a proper tech)

BTW: Just because Apple says something, doesn’t mean it’s the truth about their products. (In spite of what most Apple users believe they are no different to any other manufacture)

Bill

#361117 - 02/11/13 04:45 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Artsy people have always preferred Macs, and business people have always been forced to use PCs because they were more compatible in the workplace. In the early days of Apple, they did not license out their software and so there were no clones made ... kind of shot themselves in the cyber foot, like the Sony Betamax deal years ago. IBM once had the only game in town until Apple inspired the PC world to shut off the ugly, yellow DOS screen and use "windows" - yup - Windows95 was essentially Mac 1984! In today's economy, the microsoft industry NEEDS to keep Apple in business to avoid a monopoly, but if phone and tablet sales are any indication ... Windows may just have to watch it's back. The word "phone" is almost synonymous with Apple, as are all the pinch and swipe moves that any 3 yr old can do without training.
There will always be Chevy and Ford, and there will always be Apple and Microsoft ... in fact, the newer Macs can run windows perfectly - they are Intel inside and just need a special bootup to operate just like a pc.

It's a brave new world, and like GM (general Midi) in our industry, the more compatible you are, the longer you'll be on stages. At least ... that's the way I see it.
It's been said earlier in this post - the largest factor is money - Apple is more proprietary and stingy with their knowledge, but everyone copies what they make, and everything they DO make gets sold, so you be the judge - which one will make you the happiest, and do the job for which you buy it?
For me .. it's an Apple a day.
smile

#361125 - 02/11/13 05:44 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Diki, what software do you use for recording on Mac? Just curious.

#361134 - 02/11/13 08:47 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

I've been a Cubase user since the Atari days (MegaST4!). Probably the best, yet simplest MIDI sequencing app. I used to mix audio in Nuendo because back in the OS9 days, it had much better automation and comping features, but I would work in Cubase until the parts were right, render to audio, then open the project in Nuendo (they were compatible).

I flirted with Logic, it was a nightmare of counter-intuitive operation, Digital Performer (not as powerful MIDI editing), and even Pro Tools (even now, it's MIDI is clunky, but audio is the best). I guess you always love your high school sweetheart!

I have a Midex3 MIDI interface (3 independent ports), then a MOTU 2408mkII audio interface (and trust me, even on that 2001 Mac, importing 48 tracks of digital from ADAT's was a breeze) and a couple of UAD-1 cards in the PCI slots. As long as you let the cards do the heavy lifting (Reverbs, echo's, compressors, main channel strip, bus compression) there's still enough horsepower even with a 733 G4 chip (LOL) to do some decent VSTi work.

It got me through many an album...

#361137 - 02/11/13 09:35 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
mweuch Offline

Lot of Apple fanboys it seems lol. I have an ipad3 I uses mainly for music software apps such as Cubasis by Steinberg and Auria by Wavemachine. But anything else I use PC or Android. Most people using Apples products are just wanna be looking cool such as teenagers! To the OP, go for the Ipad if ur wanting it mainly for music but it works fine for net surfing and other stuff as well.

#361147 - 02/12/13 05:20 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

#361150 - 02/12/13 06:14 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Ok I'll jump in here. My take on the reason there are more PC's than Macs is that they were here first, thus basic software was made for them first and the business community started using them first. They guy who sold me my first B3 in 1970 was an IBM tech. full time and repaired Hammonds on the side. PCs were it in the business world and he traveled the country fixing them for big corporations. Apple wasn't invented yet and PC's had the market to themselves.
I switched from a music teacher to a computer teacher and was there when the first Apple II's came into the schools around 1985. BTW this being in a school where the Principal said "Computers would never cross his threshold " Apple wisely saw this new market and educational programs were written for Apples so they became mainstays in schools. In Calif. they donated one free computer to ever school thus ensuring future sales in education. Also they NEVER gave use any problems, even with kids using them all day. I can remember only two power supplies going bad.
Back to the business world. A guy/irl uses an IBM or whatever all day at work and wants a computer for home. He sticks with the PC he know rather than learning something new from Apple. Most people don't realize how easy it is to switch to an Apple. Programmers who want to sell their products lean towards PC's just because there are more users to sell to, although I think that is changing. Its an economic circle that is slowly changing. I also have a good friend who sells custom made corporate software packages. And yes they are PC because thats whats always been there in these business' but guess what? All the techies in his office and even he as a salesmen use MACS in the office and have been given IPADS for their work. Go figure !!!
Eventually my school system switched to PC's. The reason given was they would better prepare the kids for the business world. I believe it was the cost factor and the fact that the techs doing the planning were familiar with the PC world. Again the circle, thats what they knew so thats what they pushed. Oh' and then the fun started, constant problems and numerous visits by the district techs. I also need to mention that while in my first small school I got a grant to get a new MAC lab of a teacher workstation and 12 student computers all networked together. Once setup it worked flawless, never a problem or crash, was way ahead and did things PC's couldn't.
I once suggested the new MAC laptops made in plastic cases, designed for kids, as a reliable moveable classroom system with WIFI built in. Being just a teacher I was of course ignored and they went ahead with mini PC's on carts. Out of 30 units purchased 6 went down within the first two months.
Apples are expensive but you get quality and ease of use. There is more than enough software to do almost any task you need to and its growing every day. I think Roland products are priced 50% more than they're worth too but its the same with them for me. And if you noticed they just jumped over to Apple with their IPAD app for the BKs.
When I hear people complain about they're computer problems (always a PC system) my stock answer is "get a MAC" LOL !

Big time OT--OK now that we've solved the computer issue what do you think about Maker's Mark saying they're going to start adding water to their Bourbon to keep up with demand. Is nothing sacred ???!!!

#361166 - 02/12/13 08:32 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

If Apples were as ugly as any Dell tower, I would still use them. I don't use them because the are 'cool'. I don't use them because they look 'pretty' (or 'pretty cool', LOL).

I use them because they WORK... and they keep on working, year in, year out, with no maintenance, no hassles, and no drama.

That, to me, is worth every penny of the extra cost.

#361172 - 02/12/13 08:48 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
miden Offline

Well, I think the answer to the original question - is a resounding No!

Perhaps we can close this off as it really seems to be doing the merry go round now laugh

#361189 - 02/12/13 09:39 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: BBBB]
miden Offline

SemiLive started this thread about wanting an IPad.
Cheers!
Brian

Actually it was - "Does Anything BEAT an iPad" wink

#361194 - 02/12/13 09:52 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

And everything BEATS everything else, here at SZ, when you own 'everything', LOL

#361195 - 02/12/13 09:58 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

rotf2 @ Diki

#361200 - 02/12/13 10:46 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Exactly why do Apple products cost so much?

What's in a Mac that's not in a Dell, HP, or Asus?
Other than a different OS, (not necessarily a better OS), I can't figure out why they need to be almost twice the price. Every other company has reduced the cost of a computer as technology became more readily available, and thus reducing prices...not Apple.

BTW...I owned a Dell Desktop for 10 years, and an HP Laptop for 5, with little or no maintenance. I've recently upgraded the Desktop to another Dell, and it's amazing. The laptop will soon be updated to another HP. No reason for me to switch to Apple and pay more.

Apple products are great, just overpriced IMO

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#361204 - 02/12/13 10:56 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: lahawk]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I have owned an ASUS TF101 Tablet past 2 years and it has been excellent,
Has detachable Keyboard bed. Upto 16 hours per charge.
2 X USB Ports plus HDMI.
Android OS works very slick and never had a virus.

iPad is nice but pricey plus you have purchase high priced adapters for USB & HDMI.

#361209 - 02/12/13 11:26 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: BBBB]
Diki Offline

And everything BEATS everything else, here at SZ, when you own 'everything', LOL

I assume that was directed at/to me. Just sharing my setup not trying be elitist. Just found that everything together works well for me. "You can't always get want you want" as the Rolling Stones sang. Oh well, I wanted Pancakes for Shrove Tuesday but my wife said soup and a bagel.

No... certainly not! Directed at pretty much the entire forum!

#361358 - 02/14/13 04:25 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
First of all , generally speaking ,their hardware is second to none.Since they dont change their style -laptops wise 2008 MBP looks and feel better than 2013 vaio or super Samsung/HPs. Their battery life is stable. After a year or 2, still hold 70-80% charge.

You still need PC (or dual boot) if you need certain things.(windows is not going anywhere)

Macs are also loosing their cool /exclusive factor sInce everybody (young kids) start using them everywhere compared to 3 years ago.(like iPhone -everybody has one now).go to a Starbucks /CF BEAN, old,young,cool,geek, homeless all using Macs.

For a serious musician with limited money but with long term goals (recording to live work ),Mac is the way to go.

And ofcourse , resale value- just check the Craig 's list )

Edited by jamman (02/14/13 04:31 PM)

#361364 - 02/14/13 09:02 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

They might be losing their exclusivity, but they'll never lose their cool!

#361435 - 02/16/13 05:36 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Bachus Offline

The new windows pro pads with full fledged windows 8 pro, will give the ipads a run for their money as all the windows pro apps will run on an Intel i5 or even i7 pad with windows 8.

Dont get a windows RT pad tough, as those are ARM based and dont run the professional windows music programs and VST´s.

I think these new windows pads have much more to offer to a musician then an Ipad, because they have 0 times the processing power of an Ipad, espescially those that use full fledged Intel processors and not Attoms.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#361448 - 02/16/13 07:39 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bill check you pm.
Deane

#361462 - 02/16/13 11:13 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

This Bill or another one?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry