SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#361095 - 02/11/13 02:54 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
about 2,3 years ago I SERIOUSLY looked an an iMac - full spec'd model, about $3k...

Then after investigation with developers found I would need to spend approximately $1200-1800 on replacing my audio software to get it to the same level as what I had for Windows (which had been collected over several years) ...

The iMac sure was tempting, but when the additional costs were taken into account it was just too much...and then add to that the learning curve of OSx ...

Dennis

#361097 - 02/11/13 02:56 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

Another big reason people use PC more is that there is more programs made for it.

#361099 - 02/11/13 03:14 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I suspect that 99-percent of the members of this forum would find this would be all they need to do just about anything. And the price is right - just $369 and everything is included.

Laptop

Or you could spend $1,199 and buy an Apple

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/11/13 03:19 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#361100 - 02/11/13 03:21 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I suspect that 99-percent of the members of this forum would find this would be all they need to do just about anything. And the price is right - just $369 and everything is included.

Laptop

Cheers,

Gary cool

cool2

#361113 - 02/11/13 03:44 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Laptop

Cheers,

Gary cool

Nothing wrong with an Asus laptop!

#361114 - 02/11/13 03:48 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki

You’re at least 10 years out of date with your PC knowledge, as they just work without any problems these days. (Techs these days deal mostly with hardware problems)

NOTE: Just because you see adverts saying you need a tech to sort out your Windows software, doesn’t mean that a problems exists, but they just try and make you believe it does. (Just like a mechanic will say you need something changed on your car, when it may not necessarily be required)

Over time people amass a boatload of programs that they never use, (Something Mac users seldom do as there is not much software available for them) and the computer slows down (As would a Mac if they had the same amount of software available) but if you uninstall what you don’t need then you will be fine.

In addition most users of Windows can do virtually everything they want with free software, so they don’t need to shell out big bucks on software (Unlike Mac users).

Also if you have a Windows machine you have got considerable more chance of interacting with others, as there are more about.

Finally that Macs don’t get viruses and Malware etc. is like iPads don’t get hacked, it’s a total myth. (Just do a quick Google search if you don’t believe me or better still talk to a proper tech)

BTW: Just because Apple says something, doesn’t mean it’s the truth about their products. (In spite of what most Apple users believe they are no different to any other manufacture)

Bill

#361117 - 02/11/13 04:45 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Artsy people have always preferred Macs, and business people have always been forced to use PCs because they were more compatible in the workplace. In the early days of Apple, they did not license out their software and so there were no clones made ... kind of shot themselves in the cyber foot, like the Sony Betamax deal years ago. IBM once had the only game in town until Apple inspired the PC world to shut off the ugly, yellow DOS screen and use "windows" - yup - Windows95 was essentially Mac 1984! In today's economy, the microsoft industry NEEDS to keep Apple in business to avoid a monopoly, but if phone and tablet sales are any indication ... Windows may just have to watch it's back. The word "phone" is almost synonymous with Apple, as are all the pinch and swipe moves that any 3 yr old can do without training.
There will always be Chevy and Ford, and there will always be Apple and Microsoft ... in fact, the newer Macs can run windows perfectly - they are Intel inside and just need a special bootup to operate just like a pc.

It's a brave new world, and like GM (general Midi) in our industry, the more compatible you are, the longer you'll be on stages. At least ... that's the way I see it.
It's been said earlier in this post - the largest factor is money - Apple is more proprietary and stingy with their knowledge, but everyone copies what they make, and everything they DO make gets sold, so you be the judge - which one will make you the happiest, and do the job for which you buy it?
For me .. it's an Apple a day.
smile

#361125 - 02/11/13 05:44 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Diki, what software do you use for recording on Mac? Just curious.

#361134 - 02/11/13 08:47 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've been a Cubase user since the Atari days (MegaST4!). Probably the best, yet simplest MIDI sequencing app. I used to mix audio in Nuendo because back in the OS9 days, it had much better automation and comping features, but I would work in Cubase until the parts were right, render to audio, then open the project in Nuendo (they were compatible).

I flirted with Logic, it was a nightmare of counter-intuitive operation, Digital Performer (not as powerful MIDI editing), and even Pro Tools (even now, it's MIDI is clunky, but audio is the best). I guess you always love your high school sweetheart!

I have a Midex3 MIDI interface (3 independent ports), then a MOTU 2408mkII audio interface (and trust me, even on that 2001 Mac, importing 48 tracks of digital from ADAT's was a breeze) and a couple of UAD-1 cards in the PCI slots. As long as you let the cards do the heavy lifting (Reverbs, echo's, compressors, main channel strip, bus compression) there's still enough horsepower even with a 733 G4 chip (LOL) to do some decent VSTi work.

It got me through many an album...

#361137 - 02/11/13 09:35 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
mweuch Offline

Lot of Apple fanboys it seems lol. I have an ipad3 I uses mainly for music software apps such as Cubasis by Steinberg and Auria by Wavemachine. But anything else I use PC or Android. Most people using Apples products are just wanna be looking cool such as teenagers! To the OP, go for the Ipad if ur wanting it mainly for music but it works fine for net surfing and other stuff as well.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online