SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#360653 - 02/07/13 08:07 AM RainSong Guitars
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
My brother who owns a music store and primarily deals with guitars, told me recently, RainSong is HIS dream guitar. Interesting that store owners also have hopes and dreams.

I'm only involved with the store on a part time basis, so I have smaller ambitions smile

Anyway, back to RainSong...it's unusual, because rather than wood, it's a carbon fiber acoustic guitar, with an on board pick up and a preamp that can be connected to an external amp.

RainSong has been making these type guitars for 20 years, and now have a new model, the Shorty SG

Not long ago, someone came in the store with an older model, for new strings. We tried it out, it has an amazing lush, rich sound, and I can hear the quality.

Anyone have any experience with one of these babies?

RainSong SG Review:

Check out the RainSong Website with more demos.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#360693 - 02/07/13 09:17 AM Re: RainSong Guitars [Re: lahawk]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I bought one years ago. It is, believe it or not, almost a direct copy of an ES 295 or ES 175. They discontinued the electric with magnetic pick-up models, and this one was on a terrific, close-out discount (still $2500.00 or so).

Janice Ian plays one. She showed me hers when she was in Lexington. As I remembered, when Carls Music sold them, the story was, they were made in Australia, and, if the instrument didn't hold perfect tune (because of the stability of the synthetic neck) right out of the shipping box, you could return it.

If I played only acoustic style, my choices would be between Rainsong and a Parker Hi bred (acoustic/electric-both a piezzo and a magnetic pickup(s).

Good find, friend. Does your store carry Rainsongs? How about Godin?

I'm looking for a Godin A-6, and George does not carry electric Godins.

Russ

#360784 - 02/08/13 08:49 AM Re: RainSong Guitars [Re: lahawk]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hey Russ...had a feeling you had a Rainsong...but no, Hawk Music does not carry either RainSong or Gordin. Both top shelf stuff, maybe the best, however the high inventory cost and propriety dealership puts it out of our league.

The 'main' guitar the store carries is Alvarez. Alvarez is a quality guitar for it's price range, and very popular for students and advanced players. Use to carry Martin (the manufacturer is a few miles from here) but they too would prefer stores to carry a huge inventory, and be an exclusive type dealer. It's that way in the music business...want to carry a certain brand? You need to be loyal to that brand.

Hawk Music is a small store with limited inventory, but has over 300 students, and it's a big part of the business. Most students are not ready for RainSong or Gordin. This is where Alvarez Guitars fits the bill. Sort of like MOTL keyboards smile
However if someone really had to have it, I'm sure there is a way smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#360791 - 02/08/13 09:30 AM Re: RainSong Guitars [Re: lahawk]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have the Earl Klugh Alvarez....very nice nylon. Mine was before on board pre-amps, so you have to use a separate unit...a little inconvenient, but works fine.

300 students is a load. I had a studio in the 70's with around 200 students (in the winter-they all disappeared in the summer).

I'll look at the Alvarez line to see if there is something I like and let you guys know...

Russ

#361887 - 02/20/13 02:46 PM Re: RainSong Guitars [Re: lahawk]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I always thought these were great for the northeast where humidity gets so high in the summer you don't want to take an expensive guitar outside...I had a nice a breedlove blow up like it was pregnant because of this. I looked at carbonfiber mandolins but they don't do as well reproducing mando sound.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online