SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#360194 - 02/03/13 03:29 AM How long have you had your keyboard?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Be interesting to see who’s kept theirs the longest and are still happy with it.

Had mine for about 10 years

Bill

#360200 - 02/03/13 04:52 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Had mine for about 8 years. Still Loving it. I don't think I have explored even 50% of my keyboard yet. I don't think I would change This keyboard in my life time. Unless something really spectacular comes out.

#360204 - 02/03/13 05:23 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Audya 5, had it almost two years (actually got it 6 months before it was released to the public smile

#360207 - 02/03/13 05:34 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
PSR-3000 - so long I've lost track of time. I purchased it a week after they first became available so it's probably pushing 8 years now. Still looks and works great.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#360209 - 02/03/13 05:42 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

6 months to a year on any of my KB's in the last 45+ years...
what can I say I'm fickle, but that's me,..
I don't see it as a badge of honor to keep gear for years although if some prefer to do so surly that's their prerogative and enjoyability. What does it all prove?, .....
absolutely nothing. Enjoy what you have to play.

#360210 - 02/03/13 07:06 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
moldmaker Offline

Loc: Illinois
Ketron X-8 for 11 years now. It has never let me down & still serves me well, so no reason to change.
Wally

#360211 - 02/03/13 07:13 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

I would also add that an everyday working Pro vs a Home Player is another thing to factor into the reasoning besides financial means also, I see no right or wrong in either scenarios...keep or change its all good.......just sayin' cool2

Edited by Dnj (02/03/13 07:14 AM)

#360212 - 02/03/13 07:18 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
G1000s since they came out, is it 10+ years ? I had three for a while and now down to two as I'm slowly moving on to the BK7M. They still work great. I'm amazed how some of you guys switch to a new board and have it out on a gig in no time. Its taking me forever to program all my Styles.
In the days before arrangers I also moved slowly and didn't feel I really had a true mastery of a board until I worked with it for about 6 months. And that was when I was gigging a lot more. Once I would get in that comfort zone I would hate to leave it as many here do with their arrangers now.
This has given me an idea for a new thread, your favorite setup of all time.

#360213 - 02/03/13 07:21 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
G1000s since they came out, is it 10+ years ? I had three for a while and now down to two as I'm slowly moving on to the BK7M. They still work great. I'm amazed how some of you guys switch to a new board and have it out on a gig in no time. Its taking me forever to program all my Styles.
In the days before arrangers I also moved slowly and didn't feel I really had a true mastery of a board until I worked with it for about 6 months. And that was when I was gigging a lot more. Once I would get in that comfort zone I would hate to leave it as many here do with their arrangers now.

Bill how difficult is it setting up the BK7m?....I assume your using a controller or the G1000? What are your experiences so far pro/con? personally I never had luck when I went the module/controller route thru the years, I just like it
"All In One"... good luck.

Edited by Dnj (02/03/13 07:33 AM)

#360215 - 02/03/13 07:24 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
scameron Offline

Great tread!...i still have my psr 2000 ...even though i use my 910 for gigs ...i use it for practice and it still works great...along with my cx3 (second version) ...these keyboards keep going and going.

-----------
Steve

#360218 - 02/03/13 07:44 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I usually keep 'em about a year or so. Some lasted a little longer.
However, I consider Yamaha basically the same keyboard now as it was with the PSR2000, with minor upgrades on each model.
When arrangers first started, they improved quite dramatically between models and companies; not so much or so fast now.
I generally buy mine fairly cheap and sell 'em while I can still not lost much, if anything.
I've had E50 for about four or five years, but it's basically my backup now.
BTW, BK7m is quite remarkable once you set it up. Excellent sounds, including drums. I used Edirol controller and it has a program to help map the commands. You can do a lot with the controller than can not be done directly from the module.
DonM

#360234 - 02/03/13 11:51 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: spalding1968]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: spalding1968
Had mine for about 8 years. Still Loving it. I don't think I have explored even 50% of my keyboard yet. I don't think I would change This keyboard in my life time. Unless something really spectacular comes out.

Ditto, but I've had mine about five years - bought used and got the proverbial steal of a deal. Spalding and I are talking Pa1X here, folks. I still have my i30 even, but it's the Pa1XPro that's my daily workhorse.

#360248 - 02/03/13 01:39 PM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
technics kn6000 since about year 2000 rocker ... just bought a Pa600 as a second board ... keys

#360256 - 02/03/13 05:11 PM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I got mine from a cave man in 2000. It's as heavy as a Dinosaur. My i30 and I still don't know 25% of what it can do or how many sounds it has. I don't even sequence anymore. Hadn't played the sax in months. Too much work keeping up the chops. Just comp chords and sing all the great standards mostly along with some R&R and R&B.
Do I win anything?

#360275 - 02/03/13 10:30 PM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
124 Offline

Yay! You have won an all expenses paid, two weeks for two in Hawa . . .

Oh sorry, that was last week. You're a good guy, though, Boo. smile

#360280 - 02/04/13 02:06 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have had my Technics KN7000 for ten years. It never let me down, and I shall never sell it.

I, however, have had a slew of other I have kept from 6 months to 3 years.

#360297 - 02/04/13 07:11 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis

Bill how difficult is it setting up the BK7m?....I assume your using a controller or the G1000? What are your experiences so far pro/con? personally I never had luck when I went the module/controller route thru the years, I just like it
"All In One"... good luck.

Don

I'm using the BK7M with either an old Roland EP760 Piano or my Casio Privia just for the keyboards. I've never used a contoller and don't have any idea how to program one. My idea was to have an arranger with a decent keyboard which is why I didn't go for a BK5. I'm liking the BK7M more as I work with it. Sounds are great, most styles OK, I've added some from my G1000 and a collection of styles on CD. The biggest pain is the wheel you use to select things. I have a small studio in my garage that is not heated when I'm not there so when the unit is cold the wheel has a mind of its own. Turn it clockwise and it may move forward but then will decide it wants to go backwards !! I've even been warming it up with a hair dryer when I first go out there. The other real issue is the One Touch Settings. I like to have about three different voices for m RH . For EX. Piano to start, Sax for a solo, and then Piano strings or Brass for a finish. The One touches give you the option of having four, "IF" you can program them. As you do it they get "tangled" with the Part Settings which come on automatically as you choose a Style. Sometimes both sound, sometimes a LH part won't sound at all. I've spent hours trying to set up One Touchs for each Style and finally gave up. I'll just go with the Part Settings which give you two voices for the RH for now until I get all my styles done. Then I may go back and retry doing the One Touches. There's a lot to do with effects too, more than I understand right now. Why can't Roland make a DVD for programming their products? Two calls to them didn't give me much help. As for the One Touch problem the answer was "its a new feature which may still have bugs" You also cannot use the MI feature along with a RH sound. Its either on or off and cannot be combined. OK enough complaining, I still like the unit.

#360301 - 02/04/13 08:08 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Got my first MS 60 Solton in 1995. It still is used every week. I got a back-up in 2000...at home. I have a Midjay I got from Don M and an SD-5, but, when it come time for an arranger, I still grab the MS-60. It's been dropped, rained on, knocked off the stand...I even forgot it and left it outside in the yard of a restaurant one time.

Still does what I need it to....17 years and still "cookin".

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (02/04/13 08:08 AM)

#360327 - 02/04/13 11:38 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I guess about 8 years on the G70, then about 10 on the previous G1000. Then this last year I got a BK-7m, but don't use it for gigs yet. It is strictly for my KX-5 so far.

BTW, Bill, take a good look at those iPad BK controller apps. Seems like a lot of the data wheel/entry button stuff is easily bypassed on this.

Again, I seem to notice that those of us that fall in the 'player' category seem to be those that keep their kit the longest, and the 'entertainers' seem the keenest to keep changing up (or across!) all the time.

#360346 - 02/04/13 03:08 PM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

Again, I seem to notice that those of us that fall in the 'player' category seem to be those that keep their kit the longest, and the 'entertainers' seem the keenest to keep changing up (or across!) all the time.

Well, this is one 'entertainer' who has held onto his boards for a long time - the kn1000 for 8 - 9 years, the kn6000 for close to 13 years and still gigging strong ...

I've just never had the 'need' for a new board since I got the kn6000, and just got the Pa600 more out of a 'desire' for something different, than a need - although, operating without a back-up kb was starting to worry me -
BTW, my oldest grandson (14 yrs) now has possession of the kn1000, and my oldest granddaughter (14+ years)now has possession of the RHODES ... rocker

#360372 - 02/04/13 07:29 PM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
travlin'easy Offline

Diki, I still have the PSR-3000 and I'm an entertainer - NOT a player!

Gary cool

#360388 - 02/04/13 11:09 PM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

I stand by it. As most generalizations, there are exceptions. But it seems to fit, on the whole.

#360496 - 02/06/13 12:05 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Diki,
I figured it out. It's because the entertainers make more money so they can afford to purchase gear more often.
Another thing I noticed is that they are usually uglier too.

Couldn't pass that up. The Devil made me say it.

#360524 - 02/06/13 06:08 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Or is it that we don't NEED to work so hard, just to feed our gear lust?!

I'm the one with the Devil Inside, LOL!

#360555 - 02/06/13 08:48 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I may be a hybrid. I have learned to be more of an entertainer, but am still learning to be a player. I'm always in the mood to play, but not always to entertain! Does that make sense?
DonM

#360560 - 02/06/13 09:03 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I may be a hybrid. I have learned to be more of an entertainer, but am still learning to be a player. I'm always in the mood to play, but not always to entertain! Does that make sense?
DonM

No! smile

#360569 - 02/06/13 09:55 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: travlin'easy]

Don, that ABSOLUTELY makes sense. On a really bad night, I really don't give a damn if anyone is there. Of course, the til
has to be filled...eventually...DAMMIT!

Russ (the grouch) Lay

#360572 - 02/06/13 10:20 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

That's silly......if your playing......your entertaining, either the audience or yourself..makes sense?

#360574 - 02/06/13 10:43 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: Dnj]

Playing The Shadow of Your Smile for the 10276'th time does not entertain me (LOL)!

Just half-way kidding, guys!

Russ

#360615 - 02/06/13 06:50 PM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Playing The Shadow of Your Smile for the 10276'th time does not entertain me (LOL)!

Russ ... I told you a MILLION times not to exaggerate!!!!
wink

#360658 - 02/07/13 08:26 AM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

To be honest, having older gear that you are intimately used to is better for the 'entertainer' than something you are struggling to learn, constantly. You only have to look at Donny's posts, as he struggles to get to grips with every new arranger he buys. That has GOT to make for a few uncomfortable gigs... plus a LOT of homework, as you try to make the new arranger simply do what the old one already did!

I've backed a LOT of artists in my day, and one thing that seemed a constant (and these were TV and stage and radio stars) is that NONE of them ever had anything approaching the state of the art for its day. Old keyboards, old guitars, old amps, old effects... I have a feeling these guys find out what WORKS, and just stick to it!

#360717 - 02/07/13 01:07 PM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Edited by tony mads usa (02/07/13 01:09 PM)

#360735 - 02/07/13 05:01 PM Re: How long have you had your keyboard? [Re: abacus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Geeze ... no spell check? That article needed an editor!
Willie's the greatest.
smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online