SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#359099 - 01/20/13 01:23 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: miden]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: miden
laugh fair enough Ian... as for the "soul-less" comment - yep, I agree with that in places...but the guy has good "keys" technique I think.

...although you do seem keen to often ask others to do just that...but each to their own I suppose...

Yes, Dennis, but I'm sure you are aware of the old expression. "Never let your technique get in the way of your playing."

Actually, I have rarely, if ever, asked anyone to post their playing, without the option of sending it to me personally if posting here is not of their choosing.

I have had lots of great performances sent to me by many of SZ's membership, both instrumentally and vocal & instrumental (Donny sent me some great stuff, for example...performed with his Yamaha PSR-S910 wink )...I suppose no one likes to be put under any pressure to post in a public forum, even if their chops are beyond reproach.

Have you ever posted any of your work here, Dennis?

I have posted a few times (once during the little jam session Cassp had put together here on SZ), but not recently. Too busy with moving and getting settled lately to get into a mindset for recording.

Ian

#359100 - 01/20/13 01:49 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: ianmcnll]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
No Ian I don't usually post much in the way of playing - but then I don't ask for anyone to post, UNLESS I see someone asking for others to do and then I will make a comment - and only in the spirit of a fair go...nothing personal is meant.

I do stand corrected in that you do most times ask for it to be private communication - that is true smile

Yep technique makes a great technician, but not a great player. My comment was only directed at his technique and the use of pitch stick and ribbon - very adept. I have not really seen too many that are much better than this, hence my original post..

I am considering some posts of both original work and covers (interpretive) on either my Youtube channel or maybe Sound Cloud or Facebook...but all the copyright hoopla drives me nuts...even if the song is really nothing like the original...That is the main reason I have not pursued it further than an idea smile

Dennis

#359102 - 01/20/13 02:12 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: miden]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: miden

I am considering some posts of both original work and covers (interpretive) on either my Youtube channel or maybe Sound Cloud or Facebook...but all the copyright hoopla drives me nuts...even if the song is really nothing like the original...That is the main reason I have not pursued it further than an idea smile

Dennis

It will be good to see and hear your work Dennis...it is a big (at least for me) step to post on YouTube, but I may take a serious shot at it this year, once I'm settled in.

I rarely play or record a song exactly as it was written, although I can if I wish (within reason, of course)...I just prefer to put my own stamp on it, even if it isn't my tune...that's why the arranger keyboard has appealed to me so much, over a workstation. It (the arranger) just gives so many options on how to play a tune, and they are so immediate, and that latter part appeals to a lazy guy like me.

I love improvising using the styles, and they are terrific for doing quick soundtracks for videos...I'm sure they appeal to songwriters, like yourself, in the same way.

One of the best guitar emulations I ever heard was done on an old DX-7 (Mk 1) by a guy in Gordon Lightfoot's band when they played here in Cape Breton nearly 20 years ago. The guy played all the pedal steel guitar parts in Gord's tunes with that keyboard, and it was amazing...there was no actual pedal steel player. He had a Roland Juno-60 as well, that he used for string ensemble parts, but, it was his amazing technique AND playing style emulating the steel that impressed me (and several other musos with me) so much.

I think that's the way it is for DonM...he has the technique but it doesn't hamper his playing, and like I said, he could make almost any arranger guitar sound realistic...I hope he's reading this and sends me the money for these plugs...ha ha!

Ian

#359103 - 01/20/13 02:51 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
It's good Donny, but I'm afraid I've heard far better guitar emulation on both synths and arrangers.

The demo guy has okay technique, but no feeling whatsoever...that's mainly what's missing, in my opinion...real expression.

I would never mistake that demo for a guitar being played, eyes open, or closed.

Gary, DonM has a great expressive guitar technique, and now sounds even better (in my opinion) on his new Yamaha PSR-S950.

Ian

I have to disagree. While that 80s rock guitar sound may seem busy and lacking in expression to you that is more a matter of personal taste. It certainly is one of the better keyboard lead guitar emulations I have heard. I don't know what sounded "unrealistic" to you. I play with a guitarist that uses a Floyd Rose tremelo system and there was nothing about those bends and VanHalenesque finger tapping style that he can't perform on a guitar. It sure isn't supposed to be emulating Dave Gilmour's style, that comparison is just silly.

#359104 - 01/20/13 03:08 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel

I have to disagree. While that 80s rock guitar sound may seem busy and lacking in expression to you that is more a matter of personal taste. It is one of the better keyboard lead guitar emulations I have heard. I don't know what sounded "unrealistic" to you. I play with a guitarist that uses a Floyd Rose tremelo system and there was nothing about those bends that he can't perform on a guitar.

Hey, Nigel, that's what makes this forum so cool...of course we all do not have to agree.

What sounded "unrealistic" to me was the complete lack of "soul" and also the playing had very few, if any, breathing spaces...all flash technique and very little feeling.

My idea of great guitar soloing follows more in the Clapton, Harrison, Gilmour style, where they actually played a solo (even with extremely fast runs) that was like a story with a beginning, a theme, a high point and an ending...this guy was just being "wordy"....nothing more.

Like you, I have performed with some excellent guitar players.

This is just "guitar babble", and fakey at that....again, in my opinion.

Hendrix and others mentioned above, made their solos a story...this guy should listen to more good guitar playing.

Ian

#359105 - 01/20/13 03:08 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Thankyou Nigel....coming from
a respected pro guitar player as yourself I certainly agree with you also.

#359108 - 01/20/13 05:49 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA

What sounded "unrealistic" to me was the complete lack of "soul" and also the playing had very few, if any, breathing spaces...all flash technique and very little feeling.

But isn't that typical of the style he was emulating?
You seem to be criticizing the solo itself rather than the keyboard emulation. That is what that this thread is about ... isn't it? If you heard a real guitarist play the same notes I am guessing you would make the same criticism.

#359109 - 01/20/13 06:47 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: ianmcnll]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
It's a bit too many notes for me but I thought it sounded pretty amazing. It's hard to have much soul when you're playing that fast. He's got some chops. I wonder if he is a guitar player.

#359110 - 01/20/13 06:48 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: Nigel]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel

But isn't that typical of the style he was emulating?
You seem to be criticizing the solo itself rather than the keyboard emulation. That is what that this thread is about ... isn't it? If you heard a real guitarist play the same notes I am guessing you would make the same criticism.

The basic guitar sound was fine, Nigel, as I had said earlier, and because most of today's arrangers have one equally as good, the solo, having rambled on so much without taking any definite direction, and, with virtually no breathing spaces whatsoever, had me losing interest rather quickly.

In other words, the sound itself wasn't special(or unique)enough to hold my attention without it also saying something interesting, and it failed to do the latter, again, in my opinion.

That's the best way I can explain it.

Ian

#359120 - 01/20/13 09:28 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I can't seem to find that sound on my PA3X, but it does have some excellent distortion and overdrive guitars in it. This sound may be a sample or an edit of one of the guitar sounds.
The joystick, ribbon and DNC buttons can really add realism to the licks. As you all know that kind of Rock isn't really in my usual repertoire, however, I don't believe it would be that hard to do if a person were into that genre.
I am truly honored that some of my peers here seem to think I'm good at guitar emulation. I suppose if you do it five nights a week for 40 years you can better at it!

I do believe the PSR S950 has far better guitar sounds out of the box than the Korg. I also know you can edit the Korg sounds to reach that level, or surpass it, but I'm pretty lazy when it comes to editing voices.
I am torn between the Yamaha and the Korg. I suppose that's why I haven't tried very hard to sell either of them. I may decide by accepting the first good offer I get, regardless of which keyboard. Either will suit my audiences just as well as the other. It's just about comfort level for ME.
I enjoy the controls, vocal processing, drums, Songbook, touch screen, chord sequencer, foot controller, and many of the sounds on the Korg and i hate to give all that up. However I sure like the guitar sounds on the 950. Plus it has a couple of wonderful Pedal Steel Guitars. The Korg has nothing close, but I'm trying to make one on it. I also like the very light, organ-like key touch and the light weight. The Korg sort of balances out the small weight difference by being smaller in size than the 950 though.
I had misplaced my Kodak video camera, but found it again yesterday, beneath the pile on my desk. I will try to make a short video of each and if I like the results will post them. Next time it gets too cold for golf or fishing that is!
I think there are no bad choices in arrangers these days.
DonM

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online