SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#359035 - 01/19/13 02:08 PM Re: CVP-609/Tyros 4 Demo [Re: Tostie]
Dnj Offline

What's wrong with you guys?....Joost recorded this presumably on a cell phone? As everyone knows the quality thru them isn't great so what? Just appreciate that he took the time & thought to share something with us instead of blasting him. Here I am thousands of miles away in another country listening and enjoying something I can't be attending in person, that alone is phenomenal.....and probably as stated the rest of the show LIVE was just as fantastic with great players like Voncken & Barrtmans accompanied with fine vocals from Susan Albers. I wish they had some Demo shows like this here in the USA also we could go to..

#359044 - 01/19/13 07:39 PM Re: CVP-609/Tyros 4 Demo [Re: Tostie]
Dnj Offline

clap

#359045 - 01/19/13 08:01 PM Re: CVP-609/Tyros 4 Demo [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
What's wrong with you guys?....Joost recorded this presumably on a cell phone? As everyone knows the quality thru them isn't great so what? Just appreciate that he took the time & thought to share something with us instead of blasting him.

Donny,

I didn't blast him, I just said the video was crap, cell phones are not made for serious recordings and that was no doubt a serious perfromance, if they had being playing a Pa3x instead of a T4, you would agree that it wasn't displaying the KB at it's best, never mind the singer..only stating what I hear, even Zuki agrees guitar
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#359063 - 01/20/13 07:04 AM Re: CVP-609/Tyros 4 Demo [Re: Tostie]
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Donny, I didn't know this singer but I think she is a very good one. Arrangers have gone very far, I love Yamaha instruments and I would have probably bought a Tyros instead of aPa3x if it was available and affordable where I live (however I am more than happy with it) . I only have to compare how the rythms and accompaniment sound in my old Yamaha D85 organ to know how amazing arrangers are nowadays. However there are still things to improve to get the sound of a real band.
I found this video with the same singer and a live band recorded with a hand camera and I hear a big difference with the drums even comparing with the studio recording you posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJybOVzxRXU

Edited by vagro (01/20/13 07:06 AM)

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#359124 - 01/20/13 09:46 PM Re: CVP-609/Tyros 4 Demo [Re: Tostie]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Cell phone or ProTools system, a bad mix is a bad mix. WAY too hot with the vocals.

I'm afraid this only demos what is the #1 failing of most arranger players... the desire to hear yourself loud and clear over the backing. The trouble with that is, out FRONT, the audience gets an earful of the singing (not necessarily a bad thing, but there are limits!) and the RH solos, and all of a sudden, what could have been a vibrant, rocking sound turns into bad karaoke.

Imagine a REAL drummer and bass player on that stage... there is NO WAY they would have allowed themselves to be emasculated like that! Don't forget... when all is said and done, the bass and drums is what drives music. Put it into a supporting role by trying too hard to hear yourself, and you chop your sound off at the knees! Always record yourself, and your mixes, and guard against this like a hawk...

#359200 - 01/21/13 03:33 PM Re: CVP-609/Tyros 4 Demo [Re: Diki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Diki
Cell phone or ProTools system, a bad mix is a bad mix. WAY too hot with the vocals.

the bass and drums is what drives music..

My musical hierarchy has always been:
Melody (usually vocals)
Bass
Chords
Drums
everything else.

A good bass part is more important than a drum part. The rhythm is shared by all the instruments collectively, so the drummer is an "icing" instrument for me. Mind, you, I don't play hard rock or Rap ... may be a different approach. I'm talking melodic music.
The audience can usually relate to the words first, so they at at the top. The bass is next because it gives it the definition and the soul. The chords determine the color and density and the drums round out the package with a heartbeat.
That is how I see (hear) all the music I play.
A "too loud" RH or vocal is a much better scenario than a "too loud" backing, or band any day of the week on my stages.
Just my 45 cents.
smile

#359201 - 01/21/13 03:43 PM Re: CVP-609/Tyros 4 Demo [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Nobody's perfect.. coffee

#359211 - 01/21/13 07:52 PM Re: CVP-609/Tyros 4 Demo [Re: Tostie]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Watch the crowd. Swamp your drums, lose the floor...

Most record and live mixers' priorities are:

Vocals (if they are any good!)
Bass/Drums (both equally important)
Guitars
Everything else!

I am afraid, in the big picture, we keyboardists are pretty far down on the totem pole!

#359221 - 01/21/13 10:18 PM Re: CVP-609/Tyros 4 Demo [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Nobody's perfect.. coffee

Hurrrr,

Are YOU sure Donny, you bought the Pa3x, you must be nearly, there are one or two arrangers if you bought I would doubt you being ???? confused2
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#359230 - 01/22/13 04:31 AM Re: CVP-609/Tyros 4 Demo [Re: Tostie]
Tostie Offline

For everyone's info, the recording was indeed made with a cellphone (in really dark circumstances) and just ment for giving everyone a little impression of the evening. You can't expect a HQ recording like my regular video's, since I didn't record the line-out and didn't use a DSLR for the video ;-)

Best Regards,

Joost

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online