SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#357468 - 12/23/12 04:27 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You know what, all this is getting me out of the Christmas spirit. I'll see you all next year.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
DonM

#357471 - 12/23/12 05:05 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... very true, Diki ...

Don ... I do remember when you got the L1 ... if I recall, you posted a photo while playing at an outdoor gig ...

#357472 - 12/23/12 05:30 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Lets be realistic guys and gals, ALL sound systems have limitations, no question about it. However, Diki is dead wrong about the DJs, at least in the places I've traveled recently. The vast majority of the DJs, and KJs, which seem to be displacing DJs lately, have switched to Bose L1s with a single sub, and I personally know of three DJs that have switched to a pair of compacts and got rid of their monster speakers and poles. These guys play some huge venues, Martins West, Martins East, Overlea Hall, locations that hold several hundred people in a single room. They play more weddings than any group I know of, and they often perform for the younger crowds.

Some of the largest cathedrals in Baltimore's metropolitan area have the new Bose systems installed, systems that consist of 4 towers on the wall, and 2 subs beneath the stage. Several theaters and churches in Washington, DC have the same Bose system and rave about the coverage and sound quality.

When I was in North Carolina, during my voyage to the Florida Keys, I encountered two bands using a single Bose L1 Mod II system and the Bose mixer. They were performing in large yacht clubs and sounded fantastic.

At the Fernandina Beach Yacht Club I saw a pair of compacts sitting on the stage while I enjoyed a fantastic lunch of fresh mahi-mahi. Here in Marathon Key, Florida's Dockside restaurant there was a keyboard player working with a 5-piece band that was using a single compact and a G-70. The following night at the same location there was a KJ using an L1 with a single sub. Dockside isn't a large venue, probably measuring about 2,000 to 3,000 square feet. However, it typifies most of the venues where most of us that play the nite-club circuit usually perform. None of us are playing Carnagie Hall, Ravens Stadium, Grand Ol Opre, etc..., and bringing our own sound systems.

Nationally, there are a huge number of veteran performers that have switched to Bose L1, L1 Mod II and L1 Compacts. I personally know performers in a dozen states that are full-time entertainers, individuals that have been in the business for decades, who have switched from conventional sound systems to Bose vertical array systems. I made the switch from Barbetta Sona 32-SC 450-watt RMS powered speakers after hearing Uncle Dave's Bose L1 at a Philadelphia restaurant. Both the sound and coverage were incredible. The Barbettas sounded very good, and DNJ was using them at his Thursday Night Dance back then. The Bose L1, however, sounded much, much better.

As noted by myself, DonM and several other entertainers, there are a lot of sound system manufacturers that are trying to copy Bose with vertical array systems. Some have come pretty close, but I think it will be sometime before they produce a system with the Bose sound quality and incredible coverage aspects.

Over the years, there have been members of this and other forums that thought if you had a sound system that produced "ear bleed" volumes, that it was a requirement to pack a dance-floor. I've never agreed with that concept. I always contended that the best way to capture the attention of your audience was to provide them with the highest quality sound of music they wanted to hear, and dance to. Many years ago, DNJ said to me "If they can't dance to it - don't play it." I have adhered to that policy ever since, and I sincerely believe it has made me quite successful.

I sincerely believe that in the ensuing years you will see more and more groups/bands/OMBs/etc... using vertical array systems. Conventional sound systems will likely become a thing of the past within a decade, or less - even at the largest, outdoor concerts. Now, I could be dead wrong - but I don't think so.

Merry Christmas everyone,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#357474 - 12/23/12 06:05 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

This is why I have TWO PA Systems....simple as that.

#357476 - 12/23/12 06:48 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Xmas eve gig tomorrow I'm gonna try it in the Mono configuration Satellites on top on the Sub no poles for a VERY small 1hr Holiday gathering 20pp...I'll report back.

#357478 - 12/23/12 07:30 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm still in the business, mostly, of putting a good danceable volume close to the stage, and the owners wanting a quick drop-off further down the room. Other than the general lack of mids (which can be somewhat EQ'd back in if you don't mind losing a bit of headroom), the main thing about Bose's is that even coverage... It's superb if that's what you need, but it can work against you if it ain't.

#357479 - 12/23/12 09:07 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Diki]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
OK, Don.... sorry. Bose's are 'AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!' They do everything! No-one should even consider anything else...

Merry Christmas! wink

If you think I said that, you are more senile that I am.

#357491 - 12/24/12 01:37 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: DonM]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Originally Posted By: Diki
OK, Don.... sorry. Bose's are 'AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!' They do everything! No-one should even consider anything else...

Merry Christmas! wink

If you think I said that, you are more senile that I am.

Yes Don, I agree that was just a totally childish posting. No-one disputes that the Bose system have their limitations but they are certainly effective for most OMB situations. The classic rock band I play in even used 2 L1 towers for a few years with great success. Though we didn't use the Bose subs because we had 2 JBL subwoofers. The stage sound provided the mids. The only reason we stopped using them was because the owner of them left the band and we couldn't justify the expense of buying them. But they did provide great coverage in the rooms we played. And we were playng hard rock such as AC/DC and Van Halen.

#357494 - 12/24/12 04:00 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Nigel]
Tony Hughes Offline

I went into our local music shop a while back and he had an Audya hooked up to 3 Bose speakers about £40.00 the set, they blow me away, they sounded better than my pair of 350 SR... obviously they wouldn't fill the Albert Hall, not made too, Bose do make some good gear.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#357508 - 12/24/12 07:02 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
You got it Fran. Gotta have some thump. I just got a small system from Carvin. Very small but powerful mixer w/effects and two 10" speakers. Mostly for my studio but also for very small gigs. If I wanted to go bigger I'd add on one of my Crate KX220s for bottom. You can't get "dance" floor bottom from and 8 or 10" speaker.
I notice that BOSE is steppin up the bottom end with two new subs to add on to their systems. I've heard their systems and they do sound great but when you have to start adding some more very expensive pieces to get the needed push your kind of back to square one.

Bill in NJ

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online