SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#357287 - 12/22/12 07:06 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm going to try that setup today - I'm off till Jan 2 from school and only have one more party to play in that time. R&R (and I DON'T mean rock & roll!)come on!

#357291 - 12/22/12 07:30 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

#357305 - 12/22/12 09:47 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
weird ad

#357307 - 12/22/12 09:57 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
The only distortion was when I used the bose compact that's why I sold it...the highs stunk.......the HK Nano Satellites are much better quality.

The Bose system has circuitry to keep it from distorting unless it is VASTLY set up wrong. Input level is critical, that's why the owner's manual is so meticulous in telling you how to set the gain staging. Your wife tells me that you have never opened an owner's manual! smile
The Bose system needs little to no e.q. People who have their e.q.s set to the traditional V curve, will be disappointed because they are taking out the mids and accenting highs and lows.
I've never heard anybody who has heard my system say anything except they would love to have that sound. (Including DNJ, btw.)
However, if it makes you happy to trash gear that you no longer own, carry on! We will have a Merry Christmas anyway!
DonM

#357312 - 12/22/12 11:30 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Don.....the Bose systems are a good mono setup that's what they were intended for "PAS" Personal amplification system the fact that we pros can vastly use them in other scenarios is OK also....
I might have told you that in the beginning when I got both the L1 & Compact....but, if you remember it was after intense stage use after a few months of gigging that I came to my conclusion that it wasn't a good fit for my ears and my music hence selling them both,.....Thrashing is one thing, a strong negative honest opinion is another,..it's simple, if I like it it stays,...
if I don't like it it goes bye bye, simple as that.
You have a Merry Christmas buddy.....enjoy what works for you.

#357410 - 12/23/12 11:32 AM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Don, you turn something up beyond what it is capable of doing, you get distortion every time. No exceptions. Even a limiter won't stop this, as it hammers flat all your lovely peaks and valleys...

Honestly, have you EVER played a gig that you turned the Compact's volume to 100%?

#357429 - 12/23/12 12:46 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No I haven't. If the input signal is optimized the knob is usually no higher than 3 o'clock. The Compact is not meant for extreme sound levels.
If the signal gets into the red that's as loud as it will go. It's not.for.everybody or every situation.
DonM

#357432 - 12/23/12 12:52 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Tonewheeldude Offline

I was just thinking how easy it is now. My Father would have loved to have access to the equipment available now. Hi gigged with all sorts of stuff, I doubt anything weighed under 30 kilos, including his bench full of music!

The last professional series of Gigs he did, consisted of a Hammond Super B with various keyboards for the drums, Revo Rotary emulation speaker cabinet, a digital Echo unit through H&H head and a 4x12" Ampeg cab for vocals. He had to pull a trailer around.

#357441 - 12/23/12 01:21 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And that, Don, is where the rubber meets the road. There's nothing worse than turning up to a gig and finding your baby rig won't cut it. Many gigs round here, there's a DJ covering breaks with usually a BIG rig! I've NEVER seen a DJ play into a Bose system yet..!

So, you need a rig that will keep up with him. Not to mention, use something like that for a live band, you are going to be hard pressed to get even just VOCALS up to the acoustic level of the band instruments, let alone DI the keys and horn players!

Those little Compacts have a VERY narrow range of uses. If ALL you do fits its strengths, you are good to go. And, admittedly, in our community of mostly NH and background dining music, it can be a good fit. But you can get in a bind if you turn up with one, then find out your 'dining' gig wants some serious party music afterwards (young people eat, too, apparently!).

I'm going to give the HK's a long hard look.

#357446 - 12/23/12 01:46 PM Re: Something NEW is on the truck coming here today? [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Diki ... on two occasions I have seen a DJ using 2 Bose systems and absolutely rocking a large crowded room ...
just sayin...

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online