SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#356664 - 12/15/12 04:06 AM Re: Best Hammond B3 Organ sound on Korg pa3x?.. [Re: Dnj]
Tonewheeldude Offline

This applies to any generic instrument that has digital or physical drawbars (such as an arranger): If you MUST use the onboard drawbars stay well away from anything higher than 4ft, you should get away with 16', 5 1/3' and 8' with 2 2/3' percussion. If you can add some click and slight overdrive it will help. This is the classic Jimmy Smith combination anyway. I would suggest NOT using fast Leslie sim unless the simulator is good enough to get away with it (jimmy smith seldom used fast leslie), otherwise route the organ signal via separate outputs and through a good external Leslie sim (the H&K or Vent)

If you have anyone in your audience that has even a slight ear for a Hammond I guarantee they will be offended by the use of higher frequency digital drawbars (or real ones on many wanna be hammond's) as they will sound thin and plasticky on anything but the best clones.

#356665 - 12/15/12 04:43 AM Re: Best Hammond B3 Organ sound on Korg pa3x?.. [Re: NoteBender]
NoteBender Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted By: NoteBender
Originally Posted By: Dnj
In your opinion what is there a sound close to a real Hammond B3 with a manual Leslie you can turn on with the joystick on the PA3x?..or do you have to use the drawbars?

This may or may not be helpful since I'm new on Arrangers - LOL actually I'm new on Keyboards!

I found on the Pa600 there are Factory and Legacy settings. If I choose Organ and Legacy the Leslie effect will engage using the joystick with many of the organ selections (e.g. Perc Short Decay and BX3 Short Decay). Pushing the joystick up will engage the Leslie, pushing it up again will slow it down, and pushing it down doesn't seem to have any effect on the Leslie.

Hope the Pa3X has a similar Legacy setting.

I checked the Pa3X manual and it does have a Legacy sound setting so this should give you the Leslie effect on the joystick that you were initially looking for.

#363027 - 03/13/13 05:11 AM Re: Best Hammond B3 Organ sound on Korg pa3x?.. [Re: NoteBender]
NoteBender Offline

As noted in the above post, in the Pa600 the Leslie effect works using many of the Legacy selections, I haven't found any of the Factory settings that engages the Leslie effect.

I had been under the assumption that the Performance settings that came set up on the PA600 were a subset of the Sound selections and that they were actually intended as "user" settings to be modified or overwritten as the need arose.

In the Performance settings there is one selection that I found that engages the Leslie effect and that is "Hot BX3 V+".

However, I don't find "Hot BX3 V+" as a Factory sound selection indicating to me that the Performance selections are not actually a subset of the Factory settings. Does this mean that the Performance settings are not intended as "user" definable because one may loose one-of-a-kind selections?

Edited by NoteBender (03/13/13 05:15 AM)

#363040 - 03/13/13 08:15 AM Re: Best Hammond B3 Organ sound on Korg pa3x?.. [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The Factory Performances are edited versions of onboard styles, similar to Music Finder entries.
They are user definable, and totally editable. If you change one you want to keep, just be sure to save it in a different location, or as a Music Finder file.
DonM

#363087 - 03/13/13 02:46 PM Re: Best Hammond B3 Organ sound on Korg pa3x?.. [Re: Dnj]
NoteBender Offline

Thanks Don. Being new to keyboards there is so much to learn and the answer is usually so obvious once the light goes on.

#363090 - 03/13/13 02:55 PM Re: Best Hammond B3 Organ sound on Korg pa3x?.. [Re: NoteBender]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I really don't have my head around the whole KORG 'PERFORMANCES' thing ... speaking with another KORG player today - who felt the same way - I said, in MY opinion, KORG might have served their customers better by adopting the 'technics' Panel Memory system, which allows the user to set up from 1 to 8 Panel Memorys (PMs) with different styles, voices, tempos, etc. and they are there at the press of a button ... I often use this feature for song medleys, and 'SAVE' the PMs on the internal hard drive under a specific title - such as "50s Slow Ballads" ...

#363164 - 03/14/13 05:13 PM Re: Best Hammond B3 Organ sound on Korg pa3x?.. [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The Korg system allows for more custom access, with fewer buttons on the unit.
ie:
You want songs to set up and have the right sounds, rhythm, tempo etc ... use the songbook, or have the Performance turn ON the style with the sounds.
(make sure the tempo lock is OFF)
If you use lots of styles, but change sounds on the fly ( like I do) then turn Style Change OFF, and when you select a Performance, only the kb sounds change - NOT the style. In this scenario - the tempo lock can be ON.
I like this system

#363363 - 03/17/13 09:21 PM Re: Best Hammond B3 Organ sound on Korg pa3x?.. [Re: Uncle Dave]
baz66 Offline

Loc: Australia E coast
Good one dave.
More hints and tips please.
baz

#363408 - 03/18/13 08:21 PM Re: Best Hammond B3 Organ sound on Korg pa3x?.. [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Here's a tip from the trenches - the 3 programmable buttons near the joy stick:
#1 - Auto bass OFF
#2 - 1-5 acc tracks OFF
#3 - Leslie fast/slow

This allows so much freedom - you can instantly thin out a track or substitute a manual bass line without any fuss, and jump back in very quickly! Try it!
One of Korg's best access buttons is the ability to switch from LH arranger to RH in an instant WITHOUT going into menus. If I want the harmonies to follow my RIGHT hand - I just tell the arranger that I'm using RH trigger, and then I shut off the appropriate voices - in my case, usually all auto stuff, so I can use the LH bass, RH chords (MY chords), and still get the vocal harmony that follows my chording hand.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online